Two Scholarships......What would you like to happen?

6 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hold on for a second, JJ looked lost and out of it a the beginning of this last season. Since he had to play serious minutes this year, he did develop into a productive player. You must keep in mind that some of these two additional scholarships we now have available may go to players that may get very little play time next year. How much could these folks develop if they do not play much?

So if we had a stacked team last year JJ may have been a redshirt candidate. Either way, I like JJ's future. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil Forte lll and Lleyton Hammonds as grad transfers from OSU. Recruited by Ford and know his scheme and were valuable players on a tournament team. That significantly increases our odds of being in the dance next year which will help even more with recruiting in subsequent years. Can you take 2 grad transfers and 2 from the same school?

14 minutes ago, shempie said:

Phil Forte lll and Lleyton Hammonds as grad transfers from OSU. Recruited by Ford and know his scheme and were valuable players on a tournament team. That significantly increases our odds of being in the dance next year which will help even more with recruiting in subsequent years. Can you take 2 grad transfers and 2 from the same school?

Don't know about Hammonds, but unless Forte got injured again this season, his eligibility is up. He could've been a grad transfer for this recent season.

54 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hold on for a second, JJ looked lost and out of it a the beginning of this last season. Since he had to play serious minutes this year, he did develop into a productive player. You must keep in mind that some of these two additional scholarships we now have available may go to players that may get very little play time next year. How much could these folks develop if they do not play much?

BOOM.  In the 18 conference games, Johnson averaged 8.3 pg and 5.9 rpg.  Those are solid numbers in my opinion.  Jalen could E A S I L Y average double figures next year in ppg.  He has that unique (for this team) skill set of having an outside shot, and being able to mix it up inside.  In the 18 conference games, he grabbed 33 offensive rebounds, high for the team.

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

In my best Allen Iverson voice: Practice. 

To say that JJ was lost at the beginning of the season is like saying Tatum was lost to since he got better as the year went on for Duke.  JJ was  a freshman who needed to make the normal adjustments that all freshmen have to make.  Did playing help him - of course, did it accelerate his development - probably.  To say a player can not develop except with game minutes would be to say that a player can not play himself on to the court by practicing hard and showing progress.  Kshoe is right - practice is a viable avenue to getting on the court for game minutes and playing well when you get on the court will get you more playing time.  I never thought that JJ looked that lost - I saw his upside early on just like you could see the upside of Jett when he was freshman even though he tended to have TOs.  There simply was no denying the athleticism and skill level that was there for both players.  

For my money I think Ford is taking the right approach with these two schollies - if he can improve the team then go ahead if not then hold on to them - he has 10 very viable players on the roster/schollies who can easily make the season productive.  I will trust that Ford knows what to do in this situation.

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Just transferred too. Think Ford can get him?

I'd feel better about our chances of getting Jeter if Okie State was in contention to sign him out of high school. That way you could hope that he had a connection with Ford. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but it's probably an uphill battle.

16 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'd feel better about our chances of getting Jeter if Okie State was in contention to sign him out of high school. That way you could hope that he had a connection with Ford. Unfortunately, it wasn't. Doesn't mean it's impossible, but it's probably an uphill battle.

That normally helps.  Slu can sell him on the fact that we're a tournament team that is missing a center.  And no competition at the spot, too. 

14 hours ago, WVBilliken said:

Completely disagree.  The 10th, 11th, and 13th players will only see the floor in blowouts (one way or the other).  Chemistry and leadership mean something and I think Hines brings both of those even if he is the 13th guy.

Sure, if SLU can get two studs this Spring, but all means sign them.  But if Ford decides to fill only one scholarship, I think it would be a class move to give the open scholarship to AH and in the end, that might be the best move he can make for this team.  My opinion.......and you are welcome to yours.  Let's see what happens.

In a great team, the 11th, 12th, and 13th players will only see the floor in blowouts, yet they should be Freshmen or Sophomores that will could be starters when they are seniors.  Hines being the 13th man won't bring chemistry and leadership.  Winning will.  You can have your opinion.  I could even see your "dream" happening.  I just think my opinion and "dream" is better, more well-conceived, and reflects nicely upon my good judgement and character.   

10 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

IHines being the 13th man won't bring chemistry and leadership. 

For me Hines is the perfect 13th man.  From experience, he knows "be ready".  He came as a walk on and has played heavy minutes in the past two years. The frogs certainly can look to Hines as someone who knows Ford's system and his expectations.  I have no idea on chemistry surrounding HInes and his teammates, but I would be surprised if a walk on has an ego issue. 

11 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

In a great team, the 11th, 12th, and 13th players will only see the floor in blowouts, yet they should be Freshmen or Sophomores that will could be starters when they are seniors.  Hines being the 13th man won't bring chemistry and leadership.  Winning will.  You can have your opinion.  I could even see your "dream" happening.  I just think my opinion and "dream" is better, more well-conceived, and reflects nicely upon my good judgement and character.   

Like I said, would certainly take 2 stud recruits rather than AH for one of the two scholarships.......but if Ford decides to give out only one, then AH is deserving of the other.  I do not know how AH impacts team chemistry but sure the other players have to respect what the young man has achieved.  My opinion.

32 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So he's smaller than our PF?

My oldest daughter went to Montverde Academy which is in Central FL. When she went their a few years ago I didn't know that they played basketball. I was looking at USA Today's Top 25 HS teams and saw Montverde Academy in the Top 5.

8 minutes ago, Schasz said:

My oldest daughter went to Montverde Academy which is in Central FL. When she went their a few years ago I didn't know that they played basketball. I was looking at USA Today's Top 25 HS teams and saw Montverde Academy in the Top 5.

They've been top 5 for the last few years

The likes of Ben Simmons, D'angelo Russell, Joel Embiid, and Dakari Johnson have all gone there.  And tons more currently in college who will be in the NBA soon.