Two Scholarships......What would you like to happen?

Well, my dream would be that SLU gets Jeremiah Tilmon and gives the other available scholarship to Aaron Hines....AH.  Then with the AH scholarship available for 2018 we get Torrence Watson   Now that is obviously a dream but it could happen however unlikely.  But maybe as a fallback we can get another highly ranked big for 2017, there are a lot of them out there.  Same for Watson, there are lots of other 2018 options.

Curious, what do other board members want to happen......and it does not have to be likely to happen.  Use your imagination.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Use one this year to get a center. Pocket the other for next year

You have no confidence in Foreman being in the post?  What is this, a jersey number issue?  If he changes numbers from #1 to #23 would you have more confidence in using him in the pivot?

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

You have no confidence in Foreman being in the post?  What is this, a jersey number issue?  If he changes numbers from #1 to #23 would you have more confidence in using him in the pivot?

Wtf? Last I checked we have no one over 6'8 1/2.  Foreman is a PF.  Where did I say we need another PF?

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Well, my dream would be that SLU gets Jeremiah Tilmon and gives the other available scholarship to Aaron Hines.

Really?  That is your dream?  Dream bigger please.  Would it be ok to dream that Hines gets a scholarship elsewhere?  My good sir, your generosity will be the end of dreams of sweet 16s in the future.  And that would be SAD!  I'm sure that Glorydays and Vtime and the Metz would all agree...

Dream scenario: we get 2 awesome grad transfers who are eligible immediately and help with secure an NCAA bid in 2017.  One can be a center and the other a PG.  Then in 2018 we sign Watson and Courtney Ramey decides he'd rather win a national title with his friends at SLU than go to Louisville.  The 2018 gang makes the final 4, but falls just short of reaching the title game (I'm a Billiken fan so my dreams can't be too outlandish).  A crop of very highly regarded 2019 prospects (let's say some local and some non-local) team up with the 2018 squad who all return rather than going pro to capture a national title.  Most of that squad returns the following year and continues a long run of SLU NCAA appearances with various sweet 16s, elite eights, final fours, and championships mixed in throughout the years.  At some point we're invited to the Big East and become a perennial power there.  Ford probably cashes in with a Power 5 contract somewhere earlier along the line, but we hire an awesome coach as his replacement and at some point we've got enough NCAA credit money rolling in to keep said awesome coach around for the long haul.

Realistic scenario: we get one grad transfer who contributes off the bench and give the other scholarship to Hines (I'm forgoing the possibility of a mid-year transfer here).  Then in 2018 we sign 2 well regarded local prospects.  NIT in 2018, NCAAs in 2019 and >50% of the years thereafter.

Ok I am going to bring up Marquette again because that is what I know, but they had a pretty good year this year, but they are in a position SLU never thought they would be in, and that is too many top players. The only players on the court were top ranked 4*'s on a team dominated by 4* recruits. They landed top Grad transfer Katin Reinhart who was a stud and a starter and took a lot of playing time. This lead to 3 top ranked players leaving the program to go find playing time someone else

Duane Wilson top 50 ranked espn and 4*

Sandy Cohen top 80 Espn and 4*

Traci Carter top 90 scout and 4*

They now have 3 open spots to fill and almost no seniority

These guys are studs who were left out because they were so over stacked. Recruiting is going to be much different now and we have to realize this. Right now we have a solid 10 person lineup, ( excluding Gillman and Hines) with each player competing for playing time hard. Now we have 2 scholarships to fill and if they are worth it, they will knock down a current player and might lead to a transfer which might not be what we want. So if we get a grad transfer, he has to be a game changer to be worth it in my opinion. From now on we will have to be ready for players declaring for the draft, so in my opinion we need guys who have huge potential in a few years but not necessarily immediate impact players. Players to me like Thatch (However he is a junior and I am predicting he will be on the radar big time his senior year), and Welmer and Johnson fit that. Guys who have a large ceiling, but won't have the expectation to dominate minutes.  

Use one scholarship in 2018 on Joseph Reece.  Make sure he spends his redshirt year in the weight room.  When Bess graduates you'll have a 6'8 inside/out threat who can guard 3 positions ready to take his place. And you'll have a player who has good chemistry with Mario McKinney, a 2019 combo guard we've made a priority.

Use the other scholarship on a 2018 guard who shoots the 3 well and shoots over 80% from the foul line.  This a guy who can compete against Bishop and Thatch for a spot in the rotation. Worst case scenario, he plays mopup minutes his freshman year and moves into the rotation after Bishop graduates.  I like Wynston Tabbs here.

10 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

I'll take the second coming of Michael Jordan and a throw in of LeBron James. I'm sure Zion Williamson would come here then too. (I don't know how to blue font on mobile)

Disagree, both scholarships should be given to Arron Hines.

Saw that Marial Shayok going to leave Virginia as a graduate transfer... I watched their first game in the tourney and he was pretty good. Don't know what wed use him as though, he's only 6"5. 

My Hope is we get a Grad Transfer and give the other to Hines, win a game in the NCAA tournament before losing to a top 3 seed in a close game like Rhode Islands. In 2018 we get Watson and at least one other big recruit with Hines, grad transfer, and Gillman (if he doesn't transfer this year),  make the Elite 8, and continue success for a long time

9 hours ago, HoosierBilliken said:

Really?  That is your dream?  Dream bigger please.  Would it be ok to dream that Hines gets a scholarship elsewhere?  My good sir, your generosity will be the end of dreams of sweet 16s in the future.  And that would be SAD!  I'm sure that Glorydays and Vtime and the Metz would all agree...

Completely disagree.  The 10th, 11th, and 13th players will only see the floor in blowouts (one way or the other).  Chemistry and leadership mean something and I think Hines brings both of those even if he is the 13th guy.

Sure, if SLU can get two studs this Spring, but all means sign them.  But if Ford decides to fill only one scholarship, I think it would be a class move to give the open scholarship to AH and in the end, that might be the best move he can make for this team.  My opinion.......and you are welcome to yours.  Let's see what happens.

Get some players ----- prefer one grad student and one freshman.  Hines deserves a reward but only as a last ditch effort.  I don't care if you can redshirt the frosh or not but that might make sense.  I also think our front lien is relatively weak as it stands right now from a numbers standpoint.

I get the whole "you can never have to many ball handlers",  but as Taj said, front court may be the weakness, right now. We dont have a center.  a 5th year rim protector is ideal imo

1 minute ago, gobillsgo said:

Ford got Johnson at this point last year.  I feel like he still has time to bring in an impact recruit or two for this coming year.

Of course its not too late, doesn't mean waiting this long every time will always turn out great tho. Especially when you got a guy like tFord, its fun to see what he can do with time and talent. 

36 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

Ford got Johnson at this point last year.  I feel like he still has time to bring in an impact recruit or two for this coming year.

Hold on for a second, JJ looked lost and out of it a the beginning of this last season. Since he had to play serious minutes this year, he did develop into a productive player. You must keep in mind that some of these two additional scholarships we now have available may go to players that may get very little play time next year. How much could these folks develop if they do not play much?