Ford Talks About Mizzou Opening

Bills_06

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

So Ford not commenting on Mizzou was really no news at all? The panic bus was overflowing after the 101 Interview. 

What we do know is that Ford's team at least floated his name out there to programs with job openings, so react to that however you want. I don't think many posters on here thought Ford would actually go anywhere this spring though.

1 minute ago, TheChosenOne said:

What we do know is that Ford's team at least floated his name out there to programs with job openings, so react to that however you want. I don't think many posters on here thought Ford would actually go anywhere this spring though.

How do you know that for certain? Who is Ford's "team"? Don't tell me that you just heard it from the SPUMAC media, because if that is the only source, it is not believable.

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

First I heard he openly floated his name out there. Where do you get this stuff?

This isn't new information. Why would anyone be surprised or overly concerned though? I think the most likely reason for Ford to float his name around was for leverage at SLU and now apparently so he can talk up how much he loves it at SLU and that it means you're doing something to have your name mentioned with other jobs. I don't see anything wrong with Ford's agent essentially telling programs that we will listen if you want to talk and that doesn't change my opinion of him in the least or the excitement I have for the future of the program.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

This isn't new information. Why would anyone be surprised or overly concerned though? I think the most likely reason for Ford to float his name around was for leverage at SLU and now apparently so he can talk up how much he loves it at SLU and that it means you're doing something to have your name mentioned with other jobs. I don't see anything wrong with Ford's agent essentially telling programs that we will listen if you want to talk and that doesn't change my opinion of him in the least or the excitement I have for the future of the program.

NAME YOUR SOURCES

IMG_9054.JPG

18 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Again, how do you know this for certain? Actually it is new information that he or his "team" floated his name out there. Please tell me you have a better source than Dave Matter and the SPUMAC media...

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What did you expect Ford to say to the Billiken beat writer? I hate it here and wish I didn't have to be here but I didn't live up to expectations at OkSU. he plays the media game with the best of them. 

Yup. It's a little scary some people can't pick up on that. 

Of course he's going to talk up how much he loves it to the beat writer but I would say his quote that HoosierPal pulled about him telling Chris May he's not looking and the Ben Frederickson article a few weeks ago quoting Chris May saying he isn't concerned and that Ford is going to be our coach for a long time leaves more of an impression those two appear to be on the same page and that Ford is happy here and not just saying that to a writer.  

7 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Of course he's going to talk up how much he loves it to the beat writer but I would say his quote that HoosierPal pulled about him telling Chris May he's not looking and the Ben Frederickson article a few weeks ago quoting Chris May saying he isn't concerned and that Ford is going to be our coach for a long time leaves more of an impression those two appear to be on the same page and that Ford is happy here and not just saying that to a writer.  

I don't think you understand. You're not going to get anything but the company line from Athletic Department mouthpieces. Why would either of those two give any indication that anything is amiss at any level of the athletic department. They would be the worst people at their job if they did that. 

You don't have to believe me or even agree with me that Ford has floated his name out to other jobs but to take the company line at face value 100% of the time is insane.

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don't think you understand. You're not going to get anything but the company line from Athletic Department mouthpieces. Why would either of those two give any indication that anything is amiss at any level of the athletic department. They would be the worst people at their job if they did that. 

You don't have to believe me or even agree with me that Ford has floated his name out to other jobs but to take the company line at face value 100% of the time is insane.

I don't take the company line 100% of the time.  I look at reasons for why all of these guys say things they do.  In my opinion, the article that BenFred wrote with Chris May had zero upside for Chris May if he wasn't 100% sure Ford isn't leaving.  If you say your coach is happy here and going to be the coach for a long time here and "All you have to do is sit down with Travis for five minutes and you know where he is," and then that coach leaves a week later, I would say May is terrible at his job.  

So the fact Chris May had no problem coming out a few weeks ago and being quoted on that and then Ford saying he told May that night he's happy and not looking leads me to believe he isn't just saying he's happy to toe the company line.  I could be wrong and I still think he'll leave for bigger job eventually but gives me some hope that he wasn't promised things and then SLU didn't deliver for financial reasons like has been speculated.  

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

So the assertion is that those in the media who said or wrote as much were wrong?

Other than Dave Matter, whose sources are VERY likely folks with a Mizzou agenda, what other media reported this?

In the same way I think it is ok to be a bit skeptical of what AD's and coaches say in these situations, I think there should also be a VERY healthy bit of skepticism when it comes to SPUMAC "sources" reporting on info about the SLU coach.

5 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I don't take the company line 100% of the time.  I look at reasons for why all of these guys say things they do.  In my opinion, the article that BenFred wrote with Chris May had zero upside for Chris May if he wasn't 100% sure Ford isn't leaving.  If you say your coach is happy here and going to be the coach for a long time here and "All you have to do is sit down with Travis for five minutes and you know where he is," and then that coach leaves a week later, I would say May is terrible at his job.  

So the fact Chris May had no problem coming out a few weeks ago and being quoted on that and then Ford saying he told May that night he's happy and not looking leads me to believe he isn't just saying he's happy to toe the company line.  I could be wrong and I still think he'll leave for bigger job eventually but gives me some hope that he wasn't promised things and then SLU didn't deliver for financial reasons like has been speculated.  

Buddy, tOSU found out that's underwood was leaving over social media according to reports. Youre going to get the company line every single time from Chris May. He doesn't give anything away and I'm telling you that it's a good thing when you don't want to make your fan base uneasy about the guy who just brought in a top recruiting class.

9 minutes ago, ACE said:

Other than Dave Matter, whose sources are VERY likely folks with a Mizzou agenda, what other media reported this?

In the same way I think it is ok to be a bit skeptical of what AD's and coaches say in these situations, I think there should also be a VERY healthy bit of skepticism when it comes to SPUMAC "sources" reporting on info about the SLU coach.

This is such a dumb argument. If people in the media like Dave Matter, Dennis Dodd, Gabe DeArmond, and Chris Gervino all have information that Travis Ford has expressed interest in other job openings I am going to assume there is some truth to that. I don't fully understand how this drives any sort of Mizzou agenda. If we are going under the belief that all of these guys have bad information, that is fine. I didn't think I was making a scalding hot take by saying we know that Ford expressed interest in other jobs when it is the media saying as much and not my brother's coworker's babysitter.

3 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

This is such a dumb argument. If people in the media like Dave Matter, Dennis Dodd, Gabe DeArmond, and Chris Gervino all have information that Travis Ford has expressed interest in other job openings I am going to assume there is some truth to that. I don't fully understand how this drives any sort of Mizzou agenda.

Look, I know you have a soft spot for Mizzou, but it is clouding your judgment on this. You're naive if you are going to "assume" there is truth from Mizzou insiders on this topic and not view it with a bit of skepticism. You don't understand how the media can potentially be manipulated when they are fed "inside scoops." It happens all the time.

What agenda could Mizzou have in spreading this rumor? It's quite simple, Ford has been making a splash on the recruiting scene since being hired. Even hired away their assistant - a guy you and other Mizzou fans smeared on the way out the door. If a "Mizzou insider" can float out that Ford is toying around with other jobs like Mizzou (they even threw in LSU for good measure) it can create uncertainty and disrupt SLU's recruiting efforts. I don't blame SPUMAC for doing it. They got killed on the recruiting trail this past year, so there is a very clear motivation to be spreading this narrative from their perspective. 

Just now, ACE said:

Look, I know you have a soft spot for Mizzou, but it is clouding your judgment on this. You're naive if you are going to "assume" there is truth from Mizzou insiders on this topic and not view it with a bit of skepticism. You don't understand how the media can potentially be manipulated when they are fed "inside scoops." It happens all the time.

What agenda could Mizzou have in spreading this rumor? It's quite simple, Ford has been making a splash on the recruiting scene since being hired. Even hired away their assistant - a guy you and other Mizzou fans smeared on the way out the door. If a "Mizzou insider" can float out that Ford is toying around with other jobs like Mizzou (they even threw in LSU for good measure) it can create uncertainty and disrupt SLU's recruiting efforts. I don't blame SPUMAC for doing it. They got killed on the recruiting trail this past year, so there is a very clear motivation to be spreading this narrative from their perspective. 

I am a big Mizzou fan, but that doesn't impact this discussion. These are media members (Dennis Dodd, Dave Matter, Gabe DeArmond, Chris Gervino, and others who I have seen post on $ sites) saying/writing/tweeting that Travis Ford has made programs aware that he will listen. I am going to believe that they aren't reporting lies and don't buy that they are all driving some false narrative. Regardless, this is the dumbest argument ever, so continue on without me.