Moore & Neufeld transferring

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

You get paid a mechanical royalty of over 9 cents for each song you wrote sold.  12 songs per album and 20 million albums sold is over $21 million in mechanical song writing royalties alone.  That doesn't include mechanical royalties from soundtracks, performance royalties or royalties paid for licensing a song for commercial purposes. 

I am glad his current net worth is $40M. As far as the royalties go, keep in mind that $21 M in royalties over 20 years is a bit over a million per year before taxes and other expenses. Nothing to wrinkle your nose at but not incalculable wealth either.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

You get paid a mechanical royalty of over 9 cents for each song you wrote sold.  12 songs per album and 20 million albums sold is over $21 million in mechanical song writing royalties alone.  That doesn't include mechanical royalties from soundtracks, performance royalties or royalties paid for licensing a song for commercial purposes. 

I am just going to say it is WAY more complicated than that.  The basic sale royalty is over 9 cents but how much the songwriter actually gets depends on what is in the rest of the contract (a songwriter might get more and there are a ton of reasons why they might get less).

35 minutes ago, kwyjibo said:

I am just going to say it is WAY more complicated than that.  The basic sale royalty is over 9 cents but how much the songwriter actually gets depends on what is in the rest of the contract (a songwriter might get more and there are a ton of reasons why they might get less).

Would you not agree if you are the lead singer and main song writer for a band that has sold over 20 million albums, sold songs for commercials, has toured extensively for over two decades playing in front of big crowds,  etc that you have made a lot of money over the years?

20 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Would you not agree if you are the lead singer and main song writer for a band that has sold over 20 million albums, sold songs for commercials, has toured extensively for over two decades playing in front of big crowds,  etc that you have made a lot of money over the years?

Yes.  But I suspect that the touring and ad revenue is a little bit more predictable than song sales (as in predictable from the outside).  The point is there are artists who sold more songs than Counting Crows that ended up with a lot less than you were suggesting in song sales (they may have given away part of that percentage for an advance, they may have screwed by other account practices, see Spinal Tap lawsuit, etc.).  It is common for musicians to say (admittedly less popular ones) that the only money they make is in live performances.  In this case you may add business/legal/negotiation savvy to possible Duritz virtues (or vices depending on your perspective).

27 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Dude, I was gonna say... Drejaj.  Always posted up at Pasta House with Reggie Bryant, cruising beav...

black women would call him 'white chocolate'.... just sayin 

• 3 months later...