Moore & Neufeld transferring

2 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Huh? So either they deserve the top 30 rpi spot y'all said they had or rpi don't matter and they (UC Davis) made it in the tourney and ILL state didn't. 

The RPI is a very flawed metric that doesn't really measure how good of a team one is but roughly how tough of a schedule it played.  And UC-Davis got an automatic bid in a bottom-rung conference while Illinois St. got bilked out of an at-large bid after missing out on getting the at-large bid from a  (so-called) mid-major conference that the Power-6-weighted NCAA Tournament Committee has disrespected for years decades.  I don't think any knowledgeable fan of college basketball would claim that a top Valley school is beneath a school from whatever conference UC-Davis is in simply because the latter had an easier route to an auto bid.

(All the same, no fair-minded knowledgeable fan would claim that SLU should aspire to be in the Valley, either.)

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Huh? So either they deserve the top 30 rpi spot y'all said they had or rpi don't matter and they (UC Davis) made it in the tourney and ILL state didn't. 

My point was that their coach whined so much about being snubbed when the team had a chance to show all the selectors that they were wrong to leave them out they ended up chocking and losing to IL at home.  If you want to toot your horn you better deliver.  As far as UC Davis goes - they won their conf. tourney so they got in by the rules.  If you don't like the conf. tourney winner getting the auto bid then that is another matter entirely.  By the way, I did say "while they (IL St) maybe should have been placed in the tourney" so I did recognize their plight somewhat.  Sorry you had so much trouble understanding my post but maybe this explanation helps. 

9 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The RPI is a very flawed metric that doesn't really measure how good of a team one is but roughly how tough of a schedule it played.

This is a bit too simplistic and unfair to let pass.  Given that ultimately nearly all ratings systems are more alike than not "very flawed" is too hot a take.  It certainly does generally "measure how good a team is" and if you have a problem with that than you basically have a problem with ALL ratings.  The RPI does not use MOV by design and as such limits its predictive power but using MOV and other known factors only marginally improves the ratings.  It also probably weights schedule strength too highly but it is minor flaw (all rankings use strength of schedule so once again you are left with complaining about all rankings instead of singling out the RPI).  The other flaw with the RPI is that it needs more games to converge with the other rankings so it can appear to casual users, particularly early in the season, to be very flawed when it was never intended to be used like that.

There is also a difference between predicting a game and fairly ranking/rewarding teams and as such the RPI is better for tournament selection than others that would incent running up the score.  This distinction gets missed too often (although the NCAA does use MOV rankings in its selection).

It is really dumb to complain about the RPI in the context of UC-Davis versus Illinois St. (not you Thicks).  All known ranking systems would have significantly favored Illinois St. over UC-Davis had they played in March.  If you think Illinois St. was overrated in RPI (it probably was a bit if a ratings consensus means anything) than you have more to complain about with UC-Davis.  Illinois St.'s RPI was only 17 ranks higher than its consensus rank but UC-Davis's RPI rank was 41 points higher than its consensus.  Illinois St. had even BETTER rankings than the RPI including some rankings (Warren Nolan) that people use favorably here.

And the notion that one game in the NIT can conclusively tell you more than a season's worth of games is even dumber. 

2 hours ago, waldo027 said:

NIT results (and NCAA tourney results as well) have no impact on the NCAA tournament selection process. 

That was not my point - IL St could have shown they belonged last year in the tourney but going out at home in the NIT against IL  did not make their case.  I agree that one game does not make a season but I can assure you that the selection committee was smiling when IL St lost in the first round of the NIT to a weak IL team.

19 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

That was not my point - IL St could have shown they belonged last year in the tourney but going out at home in the NIT against IL  did not make their case.  I agree that one game does not make a season but I can assure you that the selection committee was smiling when IL St lost in the first round of the NIT to a weak IL team.

I will take your guarantee and wager my entire bank account against it. The committte was definitely not smiling when ISU lost in the first round of the NIT to a weak IL team.

And I can give that the MB73 lock of the century guarantee on that. 

29 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Also Missouri had a player leave that allows for Jontay to reclassify. Illinois adds a transfer from Wright state that replaced Jalen Coleman 

There is a thread, "Other College BB Discussions" where this can be buried.  For those of us who want to read about Billiken recruiting and/or former Billikens, we don't have to read about schools we don't care about.

20 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Guys, I've been doing a lot of thinking.

I've decided that Illinois State is a better basketball program than UC-Davis.

hot_take_house-520x245.jpg

21 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Is that the Leon Box Index of NCAA men's basketball rating?

38 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

that's good enough for me.  ++++

5 hours ago, Box and Won said:

it takes a big man to own up may disqualify you as a MBmoron. Blaming them for losing in NIT is silly. After getting stiffed like that it would be hard to get it up for lame NIT game.

7 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Missouri and Illinois news reflects on SLU and affects us in one way or another so.... 

We all know your GD13.   Say hi to yo' mother for me.

9 minutes ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Missouri and Illinois news reflects on SLU and affects us in one way or another so.... 

... so post your Missouri and Illinois elsewhere, and because you obviously lack social cues, at a minimum then post it in the other basketball thread. 

8 hours ago, TFord and TRavs said:

Well that's the biggest joke. Half the discussions on here are about Missouri and Illinois 

What's so hard about moving this crung over to the Other College BB Discussions thread?  It really isn't that hard.  You will have your own little fan club over there.