Moore & Neufeld transferring

52 minutes ago, thetorch said:

The majority of grad transfers are guys who redshirted a year.

The actual percentage of college basketball players who graduate in 3 years is probably closer to .01 of the total players.

Which I guess would qualify it as hard and unusual

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

Graduating in 3 years is not unusual. Graduating in 3 years and transferring to another school for athletics, that would be unusual.

If you're sure it's not unusual I'd think you'd have an idea what % of student athletes do it. Remember we're talking student athletes not the general student (though even then I doubt the % is very high)

8 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

If you're sure it's not unusual I'd think you'd have an idea what % of student athletes do it. Remember we're talking student athletes not the general student (though even then I doubt the % is very high)

Only about 25% of students enrolling in a 4-year institution graduate in 4 years (although a bunch graduate with a semester more as 4.5 is the median time).  That number is lower in Missouri and Illinois colleges.

I think a lot of people are confusing talk about graduating in 3 years (that has become a thing recently) and actually doing it.  I know at a number of elite colleges offer "sophomore" status to incoming status as a recruiting tool (these are motivated students with a lot of AP credits) but once enrolled very few actually graduate early because it is not worth it (students stay for extracurriculars like athletics, semesters abroad, and fun but also a lot just take courses that do not lead to graduation--there is a trend to graduate with more credits as well).

the fact taj could list the billikens over about the last 15 years that actually got their bachelor's in three years (I think he left off kevin lisch) tells you it isn't a common occurance.  

often, an athlete actually falls behind during their "in season" and then needs the summer to catch up and be back on pace to graduate with their original class.   being a D1 athlete and subject to the demands of academics and the practice and travel vigors of being on a school team is difficult.   most athletes as steve detailed above admit having to give up their social life to be able to do both.  applause to anyone like Crawford that made the sacrifices to accomplish the amazing feat of playing his collegiate sport and graduating early.   

If Gillman is not graduating, then I apologize for starting the past two pages.  However, I will say that players graduating in three years at SLU seems to be much more common that at other universities.  Plus, Gillman is a smart kid.

11 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

If Gillman is not graduating, then I apologize for starting the past two pages.  However, I will say that players graduating in three years at SLU seems to be much more common that at other universities.  Plus, Gillman is a smart kid.

I had heard it was possible for him to graduate in 3. I believe i started that discussion.

27 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

the fact taj could list the billikens over about the last 15 years that actually got their bachelor's in three years (I think he left off kevin lisch) tells you it isn't a common occurance.  

often, an athlete actually falls behind during their "in season" and then needs the summer to catch up and be back on pace to graduate with their original class.   being a D1 athlete and subject to the demands of academics and the practice and travel vigors of being on a school team is difficult.   most athletes as steve detailed above admit having to give up their social life to be able to do both.  applause to anyone like Crawford that made the sacrifices to accomplish the amazing feat of playing his collegiate sport and graduating early.   

I love how you guys talk about the demands of college athletes. As a former college athlete and college Coach, those kids are treated like kings, have plenty of down time and every academic resource available to them. Smaller college kids are the ones that would have more trouble. But even some of those schools have the best of everything, like MoBaptist.

1 minute ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I love how you guys talk about the demands of college athletes. As a former college athlete and college Coach, those kids are treated like kings, have plenty of down time and every academic resource available to them. Smaller college kids are the ones that would have more trouble. But even some of those schools have the best of everything, like MoBaptist.

Not to brag

The argument isn't how they're treated, its the time constraints associated with travelling and practice - simple things that regular students don't have to plan coursework around. I don't disagree that it's possible, but more difficult than the average student

3 minutes ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

maybe things are a little bit different academic and sport demandwise in the naia world compared to Division 1 athletics.  

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

The NCAA lists 68 men's D1 basketball Grad Transfers in 2015, which they say was 1.5% of all men's basketball athletes.  This % has undoubtedly increased, maybe even doubled or tripled.  so say it is now at 5% for this discussion.  Certainly all who graduate early don't continue in basketball as Grad Transfers.  So 10% may be the high end.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/prevalence-graduate-transfer-division-i

Many likely used a red shirt year.

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

maybe things are a little bit different academic and sport demandwise in the naia world compared to Division 1 athletics.  

Every accommodation is made. The teachers have your schedule, it's setup for you to succeed. It's not that much travel. Most schools play a home heavy non-conference schedule and half the conference games at home.  I know lots of former D1 players. My first signee as a coach was a D1 transfer from Kentucky, Jarvis Walker, brother of NBA star Antoine Walker. He was there with Jodie Meeker, Perry Stevenson etc. I know about the lifestyle.

Screenshot_20170322-141239.png

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

There's a reason that the joke exists that NAIA stands for "National Association of Ineligible Athletes".

Just now, STL Hoops Insider said:

Some former Billikens including Justin Tatum and Laniya Steven's matriculated to that level. You slander them?  Current Billiken Markos P. transferred to SLU after playing NAIA.  Several current D1 schools are former NAIA members.

I went to McKendree for undergraduate. I know the deal. It was a joke all over campus and with several opposing teams. There were a lot of "transfers" that weren't eligible to play other places. 

1 hour ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

I wish someone told me this while I was playing baseball at SLU!  I had to change majors 2 times and take summer classes to graduate in 4 years.  My parents weren't paying for 4.5 year education for me and missing practically every Spring semester due to travel made school tough.  I did get a new glove each season so there was that.

44 minutes ago, JettFlight5 said:

I went to McKendree for undergraduate. I know the deal. It was a joke all over campus and with several opposing teams. There were a lot of "transfers" that weren't eligible to play other places. 

I did too and was an athlete there when we moved from NAIA to D2. There was a noticeable difference in the lowest common denominator there - you could really tell with the more major sports - baseball, football, basketball 

oh, and Go #Beercats