Grad Tranfers

ACE

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Cussamano said multiple times that was a big part of Travis's sales pitch to Goodwin.  If Cussamano said it you can believe he heard that directly from Travis's mouth.

The link you provided didn't work.  So you say the he said that he said, makes it true?

"Jordan, I believe you can play point guard for SLU."  Yes

"Jordan, I turned Marcus Smart into an NBA Point Guard, I can do the same for you". Yes

"Jordan, I will coach you to the best of my ability to make you into an elite point guard".  Yes

"Jordan, your time at Point Guard will depend on how bad you want it.  Just like everyone else, you earn your playing time" Yes

"Jordan, I promise you that you will start at PG game 1, no matter what.  You don 't have to do a thing, I will just give you the keys."  No

Under your scenario, did the recruiting conversation with Ty Graves go, something like, "Well Ty, I already promised Jordan all the time he wants at PG from game 1, but you can have the 4 or 5 minutes when he needs a rest."  No

Jordan Goodwin will be SLU's starting point guard IF/WHEN he earns it.  I have never met Mr. Goodwin, but I seriously doubt he wants anything given to him on a silver platter.  He will want to show his coach and teammates that he has worked his behind off to earn his status on the team.

2 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

We have this guy named Arron Hines... whats all the worry about? 

On a semi serious note, I wonder if Hines has graduated by now... have to think a smaller program in need of a PG might give him a scholly for a year as a grad transfer.  If that's something he'd be interested in. 

25 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Being 5'11 doesn't automatically make you a point guard.  Graves is a guard.  He shoots threes and he can handle the ball.  The best returning players we have at guard are Bishop and Roby.  He must think he's talented enough to beat out those guys or he wouldn't be here.

Am I wrong or does that not put us at a disadvantage defensively?! Ford was criticized by OSU fans for not having recruiting taller players

12 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Am I wrong or does that not put us at a disadvantage defensively?! Ford was criticized by OSU fans for not having recruiting taller players

Jim Crews can recruit a team that looks good coming out of the tunnel, in airports, and in the team picture. 

Ford was criticized for notrecruiting for a post presence. Not for recruiting small players. 

16 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Kwamain Mitchell, Jordair Jett, and Mike McCall were all around 5'11 and we're some of the best defensive guards in the league and the nation. You could not be more wrong.

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Kwamain Mitchell, Jordair Jett, and Mike McCall were all around 5'11 and we're some of the best defensive guards in the league and the nation. You could not be more wrong.

All I'm saying is osu fans say a height mismatch was a factor to their loss in the tourney. Whether or not that is true, it's what they complained about Ford for. Also jordair has a hell of a lot more size than Graves. And I said height mismatch is a disadvantage in basketball. You said I was wrong so tell me how that is not a disadvantage. Giving an example of shorter defensive players is not really an answer. Even under crews, they ran a Rick M style of play that focuses on defense. Ford's style focuses more offensively. Different games. 

Doesn't Adonis have a former UCF teammate that will be a grad transfer, 6'10 big. That would be an angle they could try. And yeah, McCall started all 4 years next to small guards, so yeah Graves and Goodwin could both start together.  And I do think Ford promised Goodwin a starting spot. Top 100 players don't take chances on losing programs from non-governmental conferences without certain assurances. People are going to focus on that last sentence, but I don't mean that as any slight to SLU because we all saw the heights this program could reach from 2012-2014. Those teams could compete with anybody.  I believe Majerus made the same promise to Kwamain when he said he was giving him the keys.

Jordair Jett
Basketball player
Jordair Jett is an American professional basketball player who last played for the Southland Sharks of the New Zealand National Basketball League. Wikipedia

BornAugust 17, 1991 (age 25 years)
Height6′ 1″
Weight215 lbs
Pro career2015

Mike McCall Jr.
Deportivo Quevedo
Position Point guard
League Liga Ecuatoriana de Baloncesto
Personal information
Born June 16, 1991 (age 25)
Chicago, Illinois
Nationality American
Listed height 6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)
Listed weight 180 lb (82 kg)
Career information
High school Foreman (Chicago, Illinois)
College Saint Louis (2010–2014)
NBA draft 2014 / Undrafted
Playing career 2014–present
Career history
2014–2015 Iowa Energy
2015–present Deportivo Quevedo

7 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

If a Grad Transfer is coming, and I would prefer one over a normal transfer to even out classes, I personally would prefer an experienced Point Guard over a Post Player.  Right now, with no departures, we have Bishop, Hines, (combo guards) and two untested freshmen - one not available for 1/3 of the year.  I would rather not spend 1/2 next season with OJT, but let the young un's get their feet wet slowly. 

And I do agree the loophole needs to be tightened.  I would be interested on the % of the Grad Transfers that actually graduate with their masters.

I was interested in this too - data used here is a little old (2011-2012) but I would be surprised if it changed much since then. This shows the academic outcomes of D1 graduate transfers at the two year mark. Looks like men's basketball about 32% have gotten a graduate degree by the two year mark. Honestly much higher than I expected. 

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/tracking-division-i-graduate-transfers

MILWAUKEE -- Junior guard Duane Wilson is leaving Marquette and plans to transfer to another school as a graduate student for his final year of eligibility.

The Milwaukee native leaves his hometown program after three seasons. He averaged 4.8 points over 30 games in 2016-17, making seven starts.

Wilson is on track to graduate from Marquette in May and would be eligible to play with a new team this fall.

His playing time had decreased since his freshman year in 2014-15, which was Steve Wojciechowski's first year as coach. Wilson averaged 11.9 points that season, when he started 29 of 32 games.

He was initially recruited by Wojciechowski's predecessor, Buzz Williams, who left after the 2013-14 season. Wilson was redshirted that year following a preseason injury.

4 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

MILWAUKEE -- Junior guard Duane Wilson is leaving Marquette and plans to transfer to another school as a graduate student for his final year of eligibility.

The Milwaukee native leaves his hometown program after three seasons. He averaged 4.8 points over 30 games in 2016-17, making seven starts.

Wilson is on track to graduate from Marquette in May and would be eligible to play with a new team this fall.

His playing time had decreased since his freshman year in 2014-15, which was Steve Wojciechowski's first year as coach. Wilson averaged 11.9 points that season, when he started 29 of 32 games.

He was initially recruited by Wojciechowski's predecessor, Buzz Williams, who left after the 2013-14 season. Wilson was redshirted that year following a preseason injury.

So, he's graduating in 3 years? Smart kid