Grad Tranfers

ACE

We should start hearing about more grad transfers over the next few weeks, but there is one from William and Mary that would seem to fit the profile of what we should be looking for: Jack Whitman, 6-9 and he averaged 10 and 5 this season. Reportedly a good low post defender. Went to Lexington Catholic HS in Kentucky, so maybe some familiarity with Ford. 

BTW, I don't think we've ever landed a grad transfer, but this would be a good year to get a big.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of transfers, this was a good article on the issue and why it's killing small schools. To date, we haven't really been hurt by the "up-transfer" issue but it definitely could bite us at some point.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/14/college-basketball-transfers-cinderella-ncaa-tournament

They really need to close the grad transfer loophole. Classic example of unintended consequences.

Hasn't happened here yet, but according to ESPN there were nearly 100 grade transfers last year... so yes, it is pretty commonplace throughout college baskketball. And not every grad transfers lands at a great program. Fordham, Duquesne and GW are among the schools that landed grad transfers last offseason.

If a Grad Transfer is coming, and I would prefer one over a normal transfer to even out classes, I personally would prefer an experienced Point Guard over a Post Player.  Right now, with no departures, we have Bishop, Hines, (combo guards) and two untested freshmen - one not available for 1/3 of the year.  I would rather not spend 1/2 next season with OJT, but let the young un's get their feet wet slowly. 

And I do agree the loophole needs to be tightened.  I would be interested on the % of the Grad Transfers that actually graduate with their masters.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

If a Grad Transfer is coming, and I would prefer one over a normal transfer to even out classes, I personally would prefer an experienced Point Guard over a Post Player.  Right now, with no departures, we have Bishop, Hines, (combo guards) and two untested freshmen - one not available for 1/3 of the year.  I would rather not spend 1/2 next season with OJT, but let the young un's get their feet wet slowly. 

And I do agree the loophole needs to be tightened.  I would be interested on the % of the Grad Transfers that actually graduate with their masters.

-it has been reported that Jordan Goodwin was told he would be the pg

27 minutes ago, shempie said:

It looks like Ok State has two seniors who would have been recruited by T Ford (Forte and Hammonds). Both have pretty intriguing stats. Anybody hear anything about them? 

If they can be grad transfers, it could be an easy get for us since they know they would spend their senior year at OSU on a rebounding team since Underwood left. 

33 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I would be interested in the link where Coach Ford is quoted as saying Jordan Goodwin is my starting Point Guard, Day 1, for next season.  I believe only uncle jack has 'reported' as much.

34 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Jackie Kemp would be a concern for Lisa Stone if she graduates early. She is a great player capable of playing at a higher level. The women's team isn't likely to be a tournament contender next year. It would have to be tempting.

-wow, what a horrible thought for the program, Jackie did say she will graduate in May and wants to start on the grad program, was compared to Crawford on the coaches show, hope this does not happen

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

I would be interested in the link where Coach Ford is quoted as saying Jordan Goodwin is my starting Point Guard, Day 1, for next season.  I believe only uncle jack has 'reported' as much.

Cussamano said multiple times that was a big part of Travis's sales pitch to Goodwin.  If Cussamano said it you can believe he heard that directly from Travis's mouth.

4 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

In my lifetime ('89-present) I don't think we've ever had a grad transfer. Yet we talk about it EVERY offseason like it's some common occurrence. Why? 

Correct my if I'm wrong. 

as I understand (which I don't) this grad transfer is a recent thing turn of the century or more recent.

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Works for me, been going with that since TF announced such. Problem solved. If he is indeed going to play the point and he is good as advertised then worrying about who is and can we get a point guard seems a waste of time. Now I'm going back and read that article posted above which will probably make my posts a bit daft.

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

Works for me, been going with that since TF announced such. Problem solved. If he is indeed going to play the point and he is good as advertised then worrying about who is and can we get a point guard seems a waste of time. Now I'm going back and read that article posted above which will probably make my posts a bit daft.

5 years ago....nevermind then