GDT: NCAA Tournament, Round 1

Pistol

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to feel sorry for Duke. They've gotten too comfortable playing the first weekend within their own state. Now they know what it feels like to play in an unfriendly environment early in the Tournament.

But TCO is right - lack of depth was an issue. There were some bad calls, but that's not what decided it.

5 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Hard to feel sorry for Duke. They've gotten too comfortable playing the first weekend within their own state. Now they know what it feels like to play in an unfriendly environment early in the Tournament.

But TCO is right - lack of depth was an issue. There were some bad calls, but that's not what decided it.

SC just took it to them in the 2nd half and Duke couldn't stop them or get anything easy offensively. SC was clearly the tougher team and had a much easier time getting good looks with Duke struggling to stop penetration. Badly officiated game, but not the reason Duke went down.

Really impressive job by Frank Martin at SC. Thornwell is fun to watch too.

Coach K is a tremendous coach, with a tremendous program, but why top recruits would want to go there to either be on the bench or have so many expectations on you is beyond me. Why not go to a school where you can be the star on the team when you're a top 10 recruit. Duke has benched like 3 top 10 guys and barely played the other top 30

1 minute ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Coach K is a tremendous coach, with a tremendous program, but why top recruits would want to go there to either be on the bench or have so many expectations on you is beyond me. Why not go to a school where you can be the star on the team when you're a top 10 recruit. Duke has benched like 3 top 10 guys and barely played the other top 30

Because it's Duke and Coach K. 

10 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Two or three of their other upsets were in their home state. If they were comfortable because of that, they shouldn't have been.

Just now, TheChosenOne said:

So after weekend #1, Kansas has to be the favorite, right?

Yeah, have to be. Gonzaga is still around, and UNC but both look shaky. KU's road is crazy easy, relatively speaking. It was before, but even more so now.

4 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Are those guys hurt? The lack of depth for Duke is shocking especially when you look at their roster, why weren't those kids playing?

Some WERE hurt but recovered, I believe Tatum is the only one who played from the early injuries. Coach K only plays 6-7 guys, so you have to be really high on yourself to think you'll be getting minutes at Duke

2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

I read Duke has 9 McDonalds All Americans on their team so whose fault is it that they have a short rotation. The lack of an athletic pg again is the reason for their demise. I may have to update my profile picture.

Exactly. I hope there is some big article that gets sent all around to all Duke Prospects that says "do you really think you're going to get what you think with this Duke program? Here's 20 top 10 recruits who are benchwarmers on Duke of the past few years"

9 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Jayson Tatum forgotten Dookie

One of my favorite parts of the first weekend really. Jayson Tatum and his boy just another in the long line of Duke disappointments. 

10 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I strongly dislike Duke, but how are they playing South Carolina in South Carolina? The refs have been brutal.

Ask the past schools who had to play Duke in North Carolina. If Duke fans can't travel to S. Carolina and support their team, they deserve to lose. 

12 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Ask the past schools who had to play Duke in North Carolina. If Duke fans can't travel to S. Carolina and support their team, they deserve to lose. 

Duke grads are not from the Carolinas. One of many reasons they are hated in North Carolina. If the games were played in the Northeast, they would have packed it. They (the powers that do these brackets) did not expect them losing to SC. Sweet 16 round for them would have been in NY.

36 minutes ago, Franchise_08 said:

Yea hilarious. If you'll recall the games were originally set to be played in Greensboro 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/sports/ncaa-moves-championship-events-from-north-carolina.amp.html

48 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Yea hilarious. If you'll recall the games were originally set to be played in Greensboro 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/sports/ncaa-moves-championship-events-from-north-carolina.amp.html

I didn't put that together, that is incredible.

Trust me, I wasn't looking to defend Duke, just a pretty crappy draw for a #2 seed to be playing a second round game that is a defacto home game for their opponent. South Carolina certainly looked like the better team last night though, just tougher and had a fairly easy time getting whatever they wanted against the Duke defense.