NCAA Tournament Question

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

What does last two overall mean?

The worst 4 teams in the tournament will be a part of the 2 16 vs 16 seed games.

The last 4 at large teams will also play in the play-in games. Sometimes these are 11 seeds, sometimes they are 12s.

9 hours ago, kshoe said:

The worst 4 teams in the tournament will be a part of the 2 16 vs 16 seed games.

The last 4 at large teams will also play in the play-in games. Sometimes these are 11 seeds, sometimes they are 12s.

OK now I understand - thanks.

11 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Can someone explain how teams are picked to be in the 4 play in games or what is now called Round 1?  Tonight two 16s played and two 11s played - how do they determine which seeds have to play?  

They tried to call it the first round for a few seasons, but fortunately everyone called their BS and it's the "First Four" officially, followed by the First Round.

I feel bad for the automatic bid teams that end up with play-in games at the 16. I feel like winning your conference means you're in with a legit first round seed, and that the four play-in games should feature the last 8 at-large teams that would all be in the 10-12 area. The only argument against this (that I can think of) is that two 16-seeds are guaranteed Tournament wins.