Jamal Walker - Now or Later?

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, brianstl said:

So if memory serves, basically every dollar we paid Ford was a dollar that OSU didn't have to pay. Assuming that is true, and per this article, Ford was owed $7.8mm total for the next 3 years (including money owed for the previous year). He settled for a lump sum of 3.9mm and I doubt he's forgoing much more than he has too (the time value of money counts for a little but not much with these low interest rates) Basically, we are paying him 3.7 to 3.9mm over the next 3 years. So $1.25mm per year or something like that.

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

So if memory serves, basically every dollar we paid Ford was a dollar that OSU didn't have to pay. Assuming that is true, and per this article, Ford was owed $7.8mm total for the next 3 years (including money owed for the previous year). He settled for a lump sum of 3.9mm and I doubt he's forgoing much more than he has too (the time value of money counts for a little but not much with these low interest rates) Basically, we are paying him 3.7 to 3.9mm over the next 3 years. So $1.25mm per year or something like that.

I think he probably took a little bigger hit for the lump sum because it gives him a chance to earn more after the settlement if he gets a new contract from us or someone else.  Travis seems like the type of guy who would bet on himself. I was thinking he is probably making about $1.1 million per.  Big money for us, but not really big money in the current landscape.

This is me being dumb, but for how long is Ford under contract?

Also I was under the impression that Ford had to find a job within 30 days in order to get a certain sum from OSU.  Was this sum the $3.9 million figure?

6 hours ago, SluSignGuy said:

This is me being dumb, but for how long is Ford under contract?

Also I was under the impression that Ford had to find a job within 30 days in order to get a certain sum from OSU.  Was this sum the $3.9 million figure?

I think he had to find a job or show that he was looking for a job within 30 days to be entitled to payments under his OSU contract. If he hadn't gotten a job, I think he had to show he was looking on a monthly basis. As I recall, the settlement came after he got the job at SLU. I assume there was some benefit to taking the lump sum.

15 hours ago, kshoe said:

Try to follow along:

- Text from Dave Matter suggests SLU offered Walker a position. If true, the only person that could have done that was Ford.

- A discussion of how that could be possible given you can only have 3 assistants with recruiting responsibilities and a hypothetical discussion of who would leave if Walker was to come in.

- This wasn't fans trying to get rid of any coaches or anything like that, just a logical discussion of what would have to actually happen for Walker to come here.

I get it, and agree.  I'm just sayin', a coach who does 'development' after seeing how this last year's team developed, is worth his weight.   How many times did we say kids come to SLU and never progress from their skill level as freshmen.

That's all.

mhg

BTW, does anyone else find the Underwood hiring odd?  Maybe it was discussed on a different thread, but the criticism of Ford at OK St. was not winning in the tournament.  Underwood goes to OK St. for one season, loses in the first round of the tournament, and Illinois wants him to, and successfully gets him to, switch over.  He is 2-2 in NCAA first round games and has an over all tournament record of 2-4.

He's only been a Div.1 head coach for 4 seasons, three of which were in the Southland Conference.  Seems a far cry from hiring Brad Stevens away from the Celtics like some of their alumni thought could happen.  What is Illinois seeing in this guy?

34 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I hope Jamal cashed in on his situation.  I'm thinking big bump in pay, plus a guarantee for a few years.

There was an Illini Insider on the Kevin Wheeler show today. He said Underwood was given a bunch of money for assistants (I think he said $1 million) but nothing had been confirmed on hires. Walker was discussed by this Insider who hopes he is retained. He thinks Underwood will bring many up from OSU but not sure if he brings all 3. He thinks Underwood will put priority on Chicago recruiting first. 

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

There was an Illini Insider on the Kevin Wheeler show today. He said Underwood was given a bunch of money for assistants (I think he said $1 million) but nothing had been confirmed on hires. Walker was discussed by this Insider who hopes he is retained. He thinks Underwood will bring many up from OSU but not sure if he brings all 3. He thinks Underwood will put priority on Chicago recruiting first. 

850k pool for assistants from looking on Twitter.  Largest in B10. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

-I get wanting to seal the Chicago border, but looking at 24/7 there are two top 100's in that area this year and one for next year, heck, STL has more than this for these two years

- not knocking Chicago but more saying most coaches will recruit where the talent is

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-I get wanting to seal the Chicago border, but looking at 24/7 there are two top 100's in that area this year and one for next year, heck, STL has more than this for these two years

- not knocking Chicago but more saying most coaches will recruit where the talent is

Here is an interesting article on recruiting Chicago. 

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/next-illinois-coach-will-face-a-massive-challenge-in-chicago/

On 3/19/2017 at 4:54 PM, FromDaEastSide said:

Don't really trust Matter but this is interesting.

Just in case there was any question, I was just listening to Frank's show from yesterday and he said he confirmed with Ford that Walker is not a candidate to join the SLU coaching staff.  

Read the postings about the possibility of a certain tall player now committed to the Illini getting his release and all the backlash from some posters that talking about this was inappropriate.  Given that I am amazed at the open discussion of the Porter who is now committed to Washington and the possibility of him going to Mizzou.  No shyness there.  Openly discussed in the Post Dispatch, on Mizzou's Board, etc.  To my knowledge Porter has not been released from his LOI........interesting contrast.

51 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Read the postings about the possibility of a certain tall player now committed to the Illini getting his release and all the backlash from some posters that talking about this was inappropriate.  Given that I am amazed at the open discussion of the Porter who is now committed to Washington and the possibility of him going to Mizzou.  No shyness there.  Openly discussed in the Post Dispatch, on Mizzou's Board, etc.  To my knowledge Porter has not been released from his LOI........interesting contrast.

Some people had mentioned Porter never signed one. That would be a strange occurrence to say the least. 

Edit: Looks like that was some grandstanding.