Selection Sunday

Pistol

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had mentioned in a thread a couple of weeks ago that the only way the A-10 could have 3 teams Dancing is if RI played VCU in the Championship game.  Going into the A-10 tournament I had VCU and RI as the last 4 in. . Dayton making the final game or either of the other 2 dropping out before the final game means the A-10 would have had 2 Dancing

Now if we go back to Dec 7, 2016 (1st report card)...I was showing Dayton A and VCU & RI at A-...all 3 dancing.....their grades now are all 3  at A-....Of course any or all could still move up if they start winning

3 hours ago, Pistol said:

NKU getting UK in Indy is maybe my favorite thing so far.

Cincinnati's coach, Mick Cronin, was just saying that the committee takes care of certain teams with where they send them - and he gets sent to Sacramento. Seems like a message.

Sacramento is a nice city, the State Capital of the Nation's most populous state, a perfect place for Cincinnati to be shipped, and Creighton too.

I tied Joe Lunardi at picking 67/68.  Lunardi missed by having Syracuse IN and USC OUT.

My sole miss was I had Cal (21-12, 10-8) in and K-State (20-13, 8-10) out.  Cal had the better RPI (53 vs. K-State's 57), Cal had the much stronger out of conference Strength of Schedule (32 vs. 228), Cal was over .500 in the rugged Pac-12, whereas K-State was under .500 in the Big XII, and Cal has a future NBA player, if not Lottery Pick in 6'11" Soph Ivan Rabb, who is better than any player Weber has ever recruited, be it at SIUC, Illinois, or K-State, including his existing roster.

For many years there was an unwritten de facto rule that a team had to be at least .500 in its conference to garner an NCAA At Large Bid.  That rule was once broken for Wake Forest in the ACC, but with the explanation that the ACC was so strong that year with both Duke and North Carolina as top ranked teams, that the Committee gave Wake Forest that at large.

Also, another old precedent was ignored, namely that no team with 15 losses had ever been given an NCAA At Large Bid.  Vanderbilt (19-15) received one this year.

It is good the A10 received the 3 Bids.  Juan Bid again visited the MVC, with Illinois State (27-6, 17-1, RPI 33 and the Valley Regular Season Co-Champion) snubbed.  This again shows that any continual talk of SLU reverting back to the Valley (a) is not only a long dead horse, but (b) has become glue at this point.

Cal, a #1 seed in the NIT, hosts Cal State Bakersfield Tuesday night at 8:15 pm on ESPN 2 in the NIT Sock Hop.

In the NCAA, I like the 7 Creighton vs. 10 Rhode Island matchup in Sacramento, and the 7 St. Mary's vs. 10 VCU matchup in Salt Lake City.

That 7 Dayton vs. 10 Wichita State matchup in Indianapolis is absolutely diabolical, renewing a method devised a few years ago of pitting one good non-Power 5 vs. another good non-power 5 to get rid of one of them early.

"The committee puts mid-majors in a close to impossible spot: It asks them to schedule a ton of teams from power leagues, which means giving up valuable home games. It asks them to win those games, and then it asks that the power-conference teams they scheduled remain relevant. Oh, and the committee asks that mid-majors win virtually every other game on their schedule. Got it? Go do that next season, and maybe you’ll be a no. 11 seed."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theringer.com/amp/p/d3c67040d2b3

10 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

"The committee puts mid-majors in a close to impossible spot: It asks them to schedule a ton of teams from power leagues, which means giving up valuable home games. It asks them to win those games, and then it asks that the power-conference teams they scheduled remain relevant. Oh, and the committee asks that mid-majors win virtually every other game on their schedule. Got it? Go do that next season, and maybe you’ll be a no. 11 seed."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/theringer.com/amp/p/d3c67040d2b3

So true. And not just an 11-seed, but playing a 6-seed from a non-BCS conference, as well.

I was bitching about how the committee has recently been matching up "mid-major" types in the first round as a way for those teams to eliminate themselves early on. On cue, St. Mary's and VCU gets matched up. 

I'd argue that just about every team that could be labeled as mid major in the tourney is matched up against one another.  Of course, we also have Dayton and a criminally under-seeded WSU in the first round.  Creighton and Butler may be in the Big East now, but these are programs that have historically been considered mid-major.  Creighton gets Rhodey, while Butler gets Winthrop.

The NCAA and networks just can't have too many schools with small enrollments make it to the later rounds.   

That was my first reaction, too.  I don't know how accurate the reaction is.  SMU, Middle TN St., Nevada, and Cincinnati all have games against power 5 teams.  If you want to expand it to the new Big East members X gets Maryland.  And really X, Nevada, and Middle TN St couldn't ask for better teams to face in the first round as 11 and 12 seeds.  Minnesota might be the most over seeded team in the tournament and if they aren't Maryland is.  Iowa St just feels to me like a team primed to get knocked off after their Big 12 tourney run.

46 minutes ago, SShoe said:

I was bitching about how the committee has recently been matching up "mid-major" types in the first round as a way for those teams to eliminate themselves early on. On cue, St. Mary's and VCU gets matched up. 

I'd argue that just about every team that could be labeled as mid major in the tourney is matched up against one another.  Of course, we also have Dayton and a criminally under-seeded WSU in the first round.  Creighton and Butler may be in the Big East now, but these are programs that have historically been considered mid-major.  Creighton gets Rhodey, while Butler gets Winthrop.

The NCAA and networks just can't have too many schools with small enrollments make it to the later rounds.   

Although that 7 St. Mary's vs. 10 VCU matchup definitely fits the NCAA's new diabolical method of pitting strong non-Power 5 teams against each other to get rid of one of them, having seen both these teams play, both on TV, plus SMC in person, this is a fascinating matchup, and one I am interested in watching.

Seeding Wichita State as a 10 and matching it against Dayton in the First Round is NCAA treachery. 

-I am not a Boeheim fan but thought his interview on ESPN was rather candid when he said really good teams make the tourney and we were not a really good team, didn't know he could be that honest, but their record away from the dome of 2-10 or something like that confirms that analysis

-I am also not a fan of rewarding mediocrity in the big conferences, Vandy is #1 example this year, jeez they lost by 20 to Mizzou, lost to Bucknell at home, I will give them credit for going to Middle Tenn to get beat, it is so much easier for Vandy to schedule than it is for Ill St, I sort of wish that last week Ill St would have posted every school they contacted to try to get a game

-good for the A10 to get 3 teams, but watching the A10 tourney final yesterday I was hoping Hurley would have gotten ejected and RI still win, my, he is something

14 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

I tied Joe Lunardi at picking 67/68.  Lunardi missed by having Syracuse IN and USC OUT.

My sole miss was I had Cal (21-12, 10-8) in and K-State (20-13, 8-10) out.  Cal had the better RPI (53 vs. K-State's 57), Cal had the much stronger out of conference Strength of Schedule (32 vs. 228), Cal was over .500 in the rugged Pac-12, whereas K-State was under .500 in the Big XII, and Cal has a future NBA player, if not Lottery Pick in 6'11" Soph Ivan Rabb, who is better than any player Weber has ever recruited, be it at SIUC, Illinois, or K-State, including his existing roster.

For many years there was an unwritten de facto rule that a team had to be at least .500 in its conference to garner an NCAA At Large Bid.  That rule was once broken for Wake Forest in the ACC, but with the explanation that the ACC was so strong that year with both Duke and North Carolina as top ranked teams, that the Committee gave Wake Forest that at large.

Also, another old precedent was ignored, namely that no team with 15 losses had ever been given an NCAA At Large Bid.  Vanderbilt (19-15) received one this year.

It is good the A10 received the 3 Bids.  Juan Bid again visited the MVC, with Illinois State (27-6, 17-1, RPI 33 and the Valley Regular Season Co-Champion) snubbed.  This again shows that any continual talk of SLU reverting back to the Valley (a) is not only a long dead horse, but (b) has become glue at this point.

Cal, a #1 seed in the NIT, hosts Cal State Bakersfield Tuesday night at 8:15 pm on ESPN 2 in the NIT Sock Hop.

In the NCAA, I like the 7 Creighton vs. 10 Rhode Island matchup in Sacramento, and the 7 St. Mary's vs. 10 VCU matchup in Salt Lake City.

That 7 Dayton vs. 10 Wichita State matchup in Indianapolis is absolutely diabolical, renewing a method devised a few years ago of pitting one good non-Power 5 vs. another good non-power 5 to get rid of one of them early.

Is there any doubt why Drew went to Vandy - if a power 5 school can get in with a 19-15 record then there is no hope for non power 5 teams except for a conf like the BE and the A10.  I just hope the A10 does not bow out after the first round.  We need to advance at least 2 teams to keep our rep up.

Go Dan Muller...

"What the committee is asking for is not possible sometimes," Muller said. "Our staff probably called 25 of the schools that made it to see if they would play us. What do they want us to do?"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-illinois-state-ncaa-tournament-20170312-story.html

Vandy played the fifth toughest OOC schedule of any Power 5 program according to Pomeroy.  They deserve to get in.  You can't ***** about P5 programs not playing any good smaller conference teams and then keep Vandy out when they play @Dayton,  @MTSU, Belmont, Bucknell, Norfolk St., and Chattanooga.  

13 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Vandy played the fifth toughest OOC schedule of any Power 5 program according to Pomeroy.  They deserve to get in.  You can't ***** about P5 programs not playing any good smaller conference teams and then keep Vandy out when they play @Dayton,  @MTSU, Belmont, Bucknell, Norfolk St., and Chattanooga.  

My point was that Drew moved because you can go 19-15 there and still get in.  I did not make any assessment of how they got the 15 losses.  He probably was never seriously coming to SLU for just that reason.  If they lost to Missouri by 20 that has to be a bit of an eye opener.  Let me ask you this, if SLU had played a similarly difficult schedule and lost 15 games would they have even gotten a sniff for an at large berth? - just asking.

17 hours ago, Old guy said:

Do we really have any chance of getting a CBI bid?

Of course we did (they selected UIC!).  I doubt there is any reason to play in this tournament and learned something recently that explains the ever-increasing CBI snubs (the Las Vegas 16 decided they could not get any teams this year and folded).  Apparently, coaches used to have contract provisions that may have stipulated "post-season" bonuses--so they had an incentive to agree to the games if they wanted to make a few extra bucks (even though it was costing the school money).  Now, most contracts have more specific bonus provisions that only include NCAA (bigger bonus) and NIT (some bonus).  My guess is Steve McClain of UIC had a contract that just said postseason and the CIT were not asking UIC.  I know GW and George Mason are in it so it is possible the CBI did not look for any more A-10 teams.

15 hours ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Sacramento is a nice city, the State Capital of the Nation's most populous state, a perfect place for Cincinnati to be shipped, and Creighton too.

There's a hole in the wall "dive bar" there with actual mermaids swimming in a cantilevered tank. Was there in September; also very fresh farm-to-fork concepts popping up downtown; old Sac is cool, too.

1 hour ago, Bizziken said:

Go Dan Muller...

"What the committee is asking for is not possible sometimes," Muller said. "Our staff probably called 25 of the schools that made it to see if they would play us. What do they want us to do?"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-illinois-state-ncaa-tournament-20170312-story.html

Great tweet from Muller, complete with sassy bitmoji: 

18 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

My point was that Drew moved because you can go 19-15 there and still get in.  I did not make any assessment of how they got the 15 losses.  He probably was never seriously coming to SLU for just that reason.  If they lost to Missouri by 20 that has to be a bit of an eye opener.  Let me ask you this, if SLU had played a similarly difficult schedule and lost 15 games would they have even gotten a sniff for an at large berth? - just asking.

If we closed the season 11-5 with 3 wins against Florida, a win at Arkansas and a win against Iowa St., sure.