Groce gone.

SLU_Nick

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Illinois, easily > NC State.

With the right coach, which is a perennial issue in Champaign, Illinois > Indiana too.  For too long the lifeblood of Indiana is players from Illinois, to wit Quinn Buckner, Isaiah Thomas, Eric Anderson ... 

Illinois needs a coach from Illinois, preferably Chicagoland.  Until the Powers that be at Illinois figure out that very basic premise, Illinois will not reach its potential.  

Long term the Illini is the better job.  Short term, I think the Mizzou job is actually the better job. The expectations at Mizzou will be much lower the first few years and they are in a conference that is a lot easier to get to the top part of.  

2 minutes ago, waldo027 said:

By a very wide margin. 

Better job, Illinois or NC State?

I would say Illinois, just because when they have been good, they've been able to compete with anyone in the Big 10. NC State is a tough job, as their fans expect them to be right up there with Duke and UNC, but it just hasn't happened much in the last 30 years.

I'd say Illinois is the best job open right now, by a slim margin over NC State. I don't think that means they will be able to lure Gregg Marshall or the like to come to UIUC  

If Crean leaves IU, that makes Indiana the best job open by a long margin though. 

7 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Illinois, easily > NC State.

With the right coach, which is a perennial issue in Champaign, Illinois > Indiana too.  For too long the lifeblood of Indiana is players from Illinois, to wit Quinn Buckner, Isaiah Thomas, Eric Anderson ... 

Illinois needs a coach from Illinois, preferably Chicagoland.  Until the Powers that be at Illinois figure out that very basic premise, Illinois will not reach its potential.  

The problem is that the talent pool in Chicago is largely controlled by a handful of AAU coaches who can't coach their way ouf of a paper bag.  The high school coaches who simply coach high school teams are either old geezers on their way out or youngsters who are still learning how to coach.   The college coaches in the area -- low major, junior college -- kinda suck. There doesn't appear to be a path from Chicago to high major head coaching jobs.

Cuonzo Martin really is Illinois's best best for getting inner city players out of Chicago since he can relate to coming up from nothing.

26 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Long term the Illini is the better job.  Short term, I think the Mizzou job is actually the better job. The expectations at Mizzou will be much lower the first few years and they are in a conference that is a lot easier to get to the top part of.  

Huh. Illinois has a great class coming in which should remain largely intact. Mizzou is a dumpster fire 

5 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Illinois-NC State is infinitely closer than some are making it out to be. Recruiting Chicago is easier said than done 

Also Illinois > Indiana is LOL funny 

No it isn't.

Illinois could be self-sustaining with the right coach from the State of Illinois keeping Illinois players home.

Indiana is not similarly self-sustaining. Lou Henson once chastised Bobby Knight:  "He raids our state."

I agree with 3-Star that Cuonzo Martin is probably the best current choice potentially out there for Illinois.

I think IU would be stupid if they fired Crean. That team has 0 Seniors and lost one of their best players to injury. They could be a Final Four caliber team next season. With that said, I don't think Crean is that good a coach...

14 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

I think IU would be stupid if they fired Crean. That team has 0 Seniors and lost one of their best players to injury. They could be a Final Four caliber team next season. With that said, I don't think Crean is that good a coach...

Blackmon, Bryant and OG are all likely gone to the Draft. Crean had two McD AA's on the squad and won't be in the Dance. Great recruiter but the team never defended. He did clean up Sampson's mess so credit for that. 

47 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

Our pal Roy is tweeting out Frank needs to be invited by the NCAA for tampering. Laughing heartily right now. 

Seriously? I do think Frank should probably calm down on the tweets about Tilmon though as he is signed with Illinois.