A-10 Coaching Changes

billiCAN

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18867152/umass-parts-ways-head-coach-derek-kellogg

Is any one else in trouble?

"Kellogg was the state's highest-paid employee in 2016 at $1.06 million."

This makes sense but still seems wrong.

1 hour ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Steve might be able to comment on this better, but I wonder if GW will be keeping Maurice Joseph. Remember, unless it's alre been removed, he's bee coaching with the interim tag this season.

Interim coaches can be hazardous to a program's future. 

8 hours ago, billiCAN said:

"Kellogg was the state's highest-paid employee in 2016 at $1.06 million."

This is nowhere close to Ohio's highest paid emplyee. Thad Matta the basketball coach at OSU, a State employee, was paid $5.8 M in 2016. And this does not include company employees, I would bet some Ohio CEOs make more than that in total compensation.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

This is nowhere close to Ohio's highest paid emplyee. Thad Matta the basketball coach at OSU, a State employee, was paid $5.8 M in 2016. And this does not include company employees, I would bet some Ohio CEOs make more than that in total compensation.

What does Urban Meyer make?

Hoppybeer. of course company CEOs are not paid by the State and equally of course the top paid CEOs have a much higher level of total compensation than coaches or State employees do. 

Tarheelbilliken Urban Meyer (football) makes about the same amount as Thad Matta. 

Suggest that you google around for this information. Only State salary information is readily available, to find out company information you probably have to go to the companies websites and check out their 10ks for the prior fiscal year, although CEO salaries may not be reported there in a clear manner.

I never understand how some of these discussions end up where ty end up. This is a wild one.

but back to topic:

Umass (Kellogg) - fired

GW (Joseph) - interim, will he be kept?

anyone else on the hot seat besides Ferry? Any coaches going to move to higher programs? Archie?

Archie is rumored as usual.  Alma Mater NC State for one.  Dayton folks say he's going nowhere as his contract now runs through 2022 or 2023.  But contracts are made to be broken.  Most in SW Ohio think he's in line to replace Matta (rumored health issues).  He obviously knows Ohio and spent a year as an OSU assistant.  Others push that out to include the Big Ten overall.  So Illinois could come calling if Martin stays at Cal.  I hear Mizzou wants Crean; which would open up the IU job.  If he gets hot inthe Dance again, he'll be name #1.

Schmidt is likely going nowhere at St.Bonaventure.  His kid is a senior and pretty good as I hear.  I don't think he is as good as a Danny/Ed Manning combo but who knows.  I don't care how much one hates Schmidt, he wins with literally nothing in Otterville.

Neubauer gets high reviews for Fordham this year.  Same with Paulsen at Mason.  Both are okay and safe.  Hurley coudl get hot as well given this final Rhodey kick.  They wanted him for Rutgers last year.  Giannini should have run after his sweet 16 run but no one came calling.  He'll likely die on the vine in Olney soon.  

Joseph at Geedubya is right where [dead] was some years back.  Dave Kaplan was advocating taking the "interim" tag off. Plus he has Izzo roots. Frankly he did well enough riding Cavanaugh and Watanabee.  Geedubya isn't #1 in its city, behind Georgetown and Maryland.  It's definitely not a destination spot.

Wade has been rumored to be a target for NC State as well.  McKillop will die on the Davidson bench and leave of his own making.  Martelli is always on the way out.  I think the injuries will save him this year.  Next year could be it though.

Kellogg fired;Ferry maybe.  Wade, Hurley and Miller could be moving on.  Joseph, Giannini and Martelli all would not surprise me much.

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-wasn't Mike Rice someone discussed for our job last year? 

No. Leon Rice was. Leon Rice is the Boise State coach and former Gonzaga assistant. Mike Rice is the former Rutgers and Robert Morris coach who was seen on video physically abusing his players in practice. I'd be surprised if he ever coaches in college again.

Just now, DeSmetBilliken said:

No. Leon Rice was. Leon Rice is the Boise State coach and former Gonzaga assistant. Mike Rice is the former Rutgers and Robert Morris coach who was seen on video physically abusing his players in practice. I'd be surprised if he ever coaches in college again.

-Leon is someone's neighbor, Box? Moytoy? 

-sorry I had the wrong Rice