The Aaron Hines Debate

Pistol

On 3/13/2017 at 11:53 AM, cheeseman said:

Someone can correct me but I thought that the scholarships are taken against the AD budget.  So, it is against the AD's best interest to just blow the schollie if the player really does not bring any value to the team.  The AD could simply spend the money on another sport or the player's lounge if the coach is not using the schollie.

Are these scholarships really part of the cash budget of the AD? Like renovating the players locker room?

If your a faculty member, you get free tuition.

I wonder if like this: where I live a lot of Delta Airline retirees live near me. They, and family, all fly for free. I am sure Delta doesn't lose any cash on this perk.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

And I am not insulting Hines, that is just my way of saying he will be a bench player with a potential to come in somewhat close games with foul trouble and/ or give the players a rest. Graves, Goodwin, Roby, Bishop are going to take up a bulk of the 1-2 spot. 

You want a mulligan on this?  Type, check and then hit Send.

Give the kid a scholarship. He has earned it. He came on as a walk-on, and gave us great minutes when the team needed him.

I get it, he may not have the talent of others on the team or other potential recruits. However, at the end of the day he helped out the team and the program when he was needed and we should value and reward that effort and attitude. Give the kid a scholarship and demonstrate that we are a principled program. I don't think it's make or break. 

1 hour ago, 615Billiken said:

Give the kid a scholarship. He has earned it. He came on as a walk-on, and gave us great minutes when the team needed him.

I get it, he may not have the talent of others on the team or other potential recruits. However, at the end of the day he helped out the team and the program when he was needed and we should value and reward that effort and attitude. Give the kid a scholarship and demonstrate that we are a principled program. I don't think it's make or break. 

Why can not people simply understand that Hines got what he was promised - a schollie for one year by Crews, a chance to be part of the team from Ford.  SLU doesn't owe him anything.  SLU owes the program the chance to get better and giving Hines a schollie does not do that so just let things proceed.

2 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Giving Aaron Hines a scholarship does not demonstrate that SLU is a principled program, SLU has always ran a principled program.  Aaron Hines made a choice to walk on and that gave him the only chance to play in the A10.  Aaron Hines played hard improved but still was not a good player.  

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Giving Aaron Hines a scholarship does not demonstrate that SLU is a principled program, SLU has always ran a principled program.  Aaron Hines made a choice to walk on and that gave him the only chance to play in the A10.  Aaron Hines played hard improved but still was not a good player.  

Agree 100%.

2 hours ago, STL Hoops Insider said:

He's loved a dream and got a world class education. He is owed NOTHING. He should only get a scholarship if you have a left over scholarship 

Agree 100%

4 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

If it's between Pickett and Hines, sorry Aaron

Agree 100%.  Is the team owed a better player in Pickett?  Answer: Yes.  Has Pickett earned a scholarship?  Answer: Yes.  Just my humble opinion...

2 hours ago, kmbilliken said:

Plus he is graduating. He can go elsewhere and play. If there is one left over and he wants to start grad school, give him one. Otherwise bring in talent.

Why hamstring yourself and not be able to pick up a mid year transfer like we did with Graves?  Had Ford gave the schollie to Hines this past year then Graves would not be here. I still say keep it open if you don't pick someone up this period.  

10 hours ago, 615Billiken said:

Small-time. Yawn. You can head down to the Dale of Carbon and witness what a 'principled' program looks like. The only principle is mediocrity.

Give me greased palms and wins any day.

2 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Not for sure, but wouldn't you think he'd appreciate being recognized on Senior Day if he weren't coming back?  That's a big deal for family members of the player, too.

Maybe he planned to come back and changed his mind? 

I assume he'll be back though

• 1 month later...

Considering Hines is listed on the updated roster, it appears he is coming back. Any insider know if he will be on scholarship or a walk-on again? There have been no rumblings of recruiting grad transfers or anybody else for next year.

• 2 months later...

I see a lot of people on here dislike Aaron playing as much as he does and getting a scholarship this year. Well your all wrong!!! What other options do you have at point guard?? Graves? Averaged 4 points and 2 assist and shot the same percentage as Aaron from the field!!! So he is a upgrade? Laughable!!! Bishop can’t play point to save his life!! Bishop is week around the rim and definitely is not a playmaker!!! Oh and on top of that he averaged 3 plus turnovers a game!!! And last year Aaron was the only legitimate ball handler and game manager slu had!!! If you want to place blame it should be on the coach for running a stagnant crappy offense! I can count the amount of fast breaks they had on one hand last year because ford is calling out plays every time down and holding up fast breaks with a team that can’t get a decent shot in the half court!!!

42 minutes ago, Darius said:

I see a lot of people on here dislike Aaron playing as much as he does and getting a scholarship this year. Well your all wrong!!! What other options do you have at point guard?? Graves? Averaged 4 points and 2 assist and shot the same percentage as Aaron from the field!!! So he is a upgrade? Laughable!!! Bishop can’t play point to save his life!! Bishop is week around the rim and definitely is not a playmaker!!! Oh and on top of that he averaged 3 plus turnovers a game!!! And last year Aaron was the only legitimate ball handler and game manager slu had!!! If you want to place blame it should be on the coach for running a stagnant crappy offense! I can count the amount of fast breaks they had on one hand last year because ford is calling out plays every time down and holding up fast breaks with a team that can’t get a decent shot in the half court!!!

:o:wacko::blink:

image.thumb.png.d554cbea111baf1913e6edac4f5d3008.png

Ease up on the triple exclamation points, straw man arguments, gross exaggerations, and pick a better thread to bump next time. I think everyone recognizes what Hines brings to the table, and the fact that he's been given a scholarship indicates he'll be in the mix and with the next game still months away it's an odd time for such a hot take.

I do concur Hines should be ahead of Bishop on the depth chart.

9 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

image.thumb.png.d554cbea111baf1913e6edac4f5d3008.png

Ease up on the triple exclamation points, straw man arguments, gross exaggerations, and pick a better thread to bump next time. I think everyone recognizes what Hines brings to the table, and the fact that he's been given a scholarship indicates he'll be in the mix and with the next game still months away it's an odd time for such a hot take.

I do concur Hines should be ahead of Bishop on the depth chart.

Lord, think I will pass that judgement to Ford and staff.