Dayton, VCU and Wichita St. to AAC?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Glorydays2013 said:

I was only thinking of higher performing teams in conferences that might want to change conferences. I'm surprised Gonzaga hasnt moved to the Pac 12

The PAC 12 is scared they would go to the Rose Bowl every year.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Here's a road trip for you --- Olean, NY, to Normal, IL.  Without a charter, its bus from Olean to Rochester (107 miles).  Fly from Rochester to Chicago Midway (a minimum four-hour flight with layover via commercial air).  Then a 2.5 hour bus ride from Chicago down to Normal.  Almost nine hours of travel time not including prep (leave early, get to airport in enough time, etc.).  Gots ta feel bad for dem Bonnies.

Ditto the state school route.  I did not know that George Mason was a public university.  Thought, due to the name , it was private.  So we have four public schools now in the league -- Mason, VCU, Umass and Rhode Island.  And of the schools, seven play football --- Davidson, Duquesne, Dayton, Umass, Rhode Island, Richmond and Fordham.  Only Umass is an FBS football playing member. 

Taj, Bloomington-Normal has a commercial airport and is an area of about 200,000. 

@others: Illinois State would have no interest in joining the A10, and the A10 would have no interest in adding them.

They aren't a very good basketball program, today or historically. They also feature a successfulFCS football program. If they are going anywhere, it will be to a MAC type conference to upgrade their football to FBS. Anyone who would even bring up ISU as an addition doesnt understand the dynamics of..things?

55 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I don't want anymore public schools in the a-10.   i.e. Illinois state.   if it was up to me, i'd have the billikens in a conference that was completely like minded similar schools.     

roy that is complete fantasy and has 0 place in the reality in which we live.

the fact is that if vcu and dayton leave, the a10 quickly degenerates into a 1 bid valley type league.

the a10 would be well fit to put Wichita St in the conference and cement its place as the "not power conference but almost" conference. the power conferences are gobbling up the good programs like a whirlpool. If the Billikens get left out of everything, we will be in the trash heap with Methdale... that is not a good place to be.

The A10 either has to keep up, or SLU has to move up.

Losing Xavier was a brutal blow. Adding VCU was a coup. Davidson sucks. Butler was good and we lost 'em

Sorry Roy, Marquette will never let SLU join the "catholic league" apparently we arent like minded enough.. so much for that crap and drivel about private religious schools sticking together. that opinion is absolute rubbish.

54 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Here's a road trip for you --- Olean, NY, to Normal, IL.  Without a charter, its bus from Olean to Rochester (107 miles).  Fly from Rochester to Chicago Midway (a minimum four-hour flight with layover via commercial air).  Then a 2.5 hour bus ride from Chicago down to Normal.  Almost nine hours of travel time not including prep (leave early, get to airport in enough time, etc.).  Gots ta feel bad for dem Bonnies.

Ditto the state school route.  I did not know that George Mason was a public university.  Thought, due to the name , it was private.  So we have four public schools now in the league -- Mason, VCU, Umass and Rhode Island.  And of the schools, seven play football --- Davidson, Duquesne, Dayton, Umass, Rhode Island, Richmond and Fordham.  Only Umass is an FBS football playing member. 

Yeah and VCU and Rhody are carrying the torch for this conference right now. that opinion is absolute rubbish as i said before. How come Marquette and X werent outstretching their loving jesuit brethren arms to SLU when we wanted in the BE? This opinion and line of thinking is as dumb and outdated as the idea that SLU should be a MO valley team. hogwash! balderdash!

2 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

My preference for A10 expansion is Loyola Chicago.  Loyola is a "like minded institution," and would get the A10 into the Chicago market, and the Valley out of it.  Also, Loyola would not be a competitor for Big East expansion, as it would be blocked by DePaul and probably Marquette.

Why would Loyola of Chicago be a good addition - they don't bring any bona fides to the table

The right answer to replacing a loss of Dayton/VCU (from a SLU perspective) is to grab a couple teams out of the MVC and Horizon from the Midwest. Valpo, Bradley, Oakland, UIC, Northern Kentucky, Belmont. 

Hopefully that discussion won't have to take place. It would be interesting to see what a conference would look like with the best private non-footballs out of the A10, MVC, Horizon, and Belmont. 

No way bringing in Loyola, that's like bringing in another Duquesne or Fordham.

The best conference SLU has ever been associated with was the Great Midwest. I loved the competition in that league.Too bad it dissolved so quickly. My recommendation is if Dayton/VCU bolt for the AAC, May should be working the phones to join them. I rather see us con't play UD (probably our only real rival). Also Wichita, Cincy, Tulsa, Memphis etc bring back our old MVC roots. Also, the Florida schools make for nice road trips for alums in January & February. Beats going to Olean.

With those schools, you will see attendance markedly increase at the Chaifetz.  

21 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Loyola brings the Chicago market, important for TV, but in this case more so for recruiting.

Again Bay, I compared Fordham to Loyola. How visible are we in NYC?

I would not doubt the NBE is regretting having DePaul.

33 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Again Bay, I compared Fordham to Loyola. How visible are we in NYC?

I would not doubt the NBE is regretting having DePaul.

50 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Not in a meaningful way, basketball-wise.

Loyola brings Chicago in a very meaningful way from a recruiting athletes and students to SLU and a SLU alumni in Chicago standpoint.  Access to the Chicago market for recruiting is a primary reason the Valley chose Loyola to replace Creighton when Creighton went to the Big East.  Loyola, blocked by DePaul and probably Marquette, is also no competitor to SLU as a Big East expansion candidate, unlike a Belmont.

As for Fordham in New York City, SLU has an active and growing alumni group in New York.

10 minutes ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

Loyola brings Chicago in a very meaningful way from a recruiting athletes and students to SLU and a SLU alumni in Chicago standpoint.  Access to the Chicago market for recruiting is the primary reason the Valley chose Loyola to replace Creighton when Creighton went to the Big East.  Loyola, blocked by DePaul and probably Marquette, is also no competitor to SLU as a Big East expansion candidate, unlike a Belmont.

Okay, so SLU alumni in Chicago get a chance to see the Bills in their hometown once every year or two. But I can't imagine Ramblers basketball has much of a pull on the Chicago TV market. And I really don't think the fourth or fifth most popular college team in Chicago joining the A10 will have a meaningful effect on Chicago recruits coming to SLU.

We can get guys like McCall, Evans, Reynolds, et al, who aren't recruited by Chicago area schools. But I don't see how Loyola in the A10 helps us beat out U of I or even Northwestern for highly rated Chicago recruits. The MO Valley is after a different level of recruit.

1 hour ago, tarheelbilliken said:

No way bringing in Loyola, that's like bringing in another Duquesne or Fordham.

The best conference SLU has ever been associated with was the Great Midwest. I loved the competition in that league.Too bad it dissolved so quickly. My recommendation is if Dayton/VCU bolt for the AAC, May should be working the phones to join them. I rather see us con't play UD (probably our only real rival). Also Wichita, Cincy, Tulsa etc bring back our old MVC roots. Also, the Florida schools make for nice road trips for alums in January & February. Beats going to Olean.

With those schools, you will see attendance markedly increase at the Chaifetz.  

The American is apparently only looking to add one school, to make 12 Basketball schools. Wichita State fits and is the choice, if there is one.  The American already has Navy as its Football only 12th member.

I would be surprised if Dayton and/or VCU leave the A10 anytime soon.

Come on Bay, you bring in a Memphis or a Cincy into the Fetz, you'll sell it out or be very close. You bring in a 250+ RPI ranked Loyola, you will be lucky to get 4000 of the hard core SLU loyalist in attendance. Will be seeing pictures from Bonwich of empty seats here on Billiken.com. I recall back to my days at SLU, when both Memphis and SLU were in the MVC, they would come up with a huge contingent of fans. They travel very well. 

Again, I am only for the AAC if UD and VCU bolt and we join them. UD is our only rival and think that is important we keep that going. Also, if UD & VCU bolt, the A10 is dead by being a 1 bid league. I don't like seeing our whole season riding on a 3-4 day tournament and if you do win, a lousy seed. Loyola would add nothing. Sure getting into the NBE would be the best but I don't see that happening. They are not interested in expansion. Remember, when the NBE was being formed, we were at our pinnacle, and we did not get in. I think the AAC is a nice fall back and it would serve us well with a lot of our old rivalries from our old MVC days. We have more in common with Cincy and Memphis then we do with Loyola in playing history. When we had to play Loyola, the 80s, it was the result of the lowest point of Billiken basketball.   

The problem with any basketball school joining the AAC is that UCONN, Cincinnati, Memphis, Central and South Florida are all targets for bigger conferences because of football. Any of them would jump at the chance to join the Big 12 and ACC.

Schools like Wichita, Dayton and VCU should stay where they are.

1 hour ago, ARon said:

You all are looking at his from a basketball perspective. That will always be a mistake on this topic.

++  understand basketball at slu is the machine, but still have to consider the other programs.   public schools will destroy us in the non revenue sports.  

16 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

++  understand basketball at slu is the machine, but still have to consider the other programs.   public schools will destroy us in the non revenue sports.  

we will have to agree to disagree, roy.

I'll also posit that having Wich St in the a10 is not like adding in Michigan or soomething.

I also think that the Chaifetz and the associated facilities should update your views from what they were in the West Pine days.

I probably was way too confrontational. You are always consistent. I respect your opinion but I think you are underselling SLU.