Dayton, VCU and Wichita St. to AAC?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

58 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

This doesn't read as if it is a done deal.  Also, I didn't know SLU and Valpo were fellow members in the OVC. 

I do think the Racers to the MVC would benefit the MVC, but I'm not sure if it benefits Murray State all that much.  Any increase incoming money, if any, would likely be the deciding factor.  Both are typically single bid leagues.

10 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I do think the Racers to the MVC would benefit the MVC, but I'm not sure if it benefits Murray State all that much.  Any increase incoming money, if any, would likely be the deciding factor.  Both are typically single bid leagues.

There's not much accuracy in this. 

The MVC is a huge jump up from the OVC. 

The MVC has typically been a multibid league. 

The Murray addition might be good for the MVC, if they get back to the level they had under previous coaches. 

1 hour ago, RiseAndGrind said:

I assume this is a school newspaper.  The writer, the Sports Editor, of the paper is clearly qualified to be hired by the Missouri Post-Dispatch upon graduation. 

He writes that the school is considering a change of conference in the "coming future."  Is that to distinguish it from the "past future"?  Later he includes SLU as a OVC member (along with Valpo) who are rumored to be moving to the MVC!  Clearly the journalism rule of check and double checking before writing is no longer a requirement.

Yep, this guy has a future in the business at the MO P-D-he will fit right in.

12 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

The Murray addition might be good for the MVC, if they get back to the level they had under previous coaches. 

With today's league configuration, the MVC's nine members have had a total of 56 NCAA invites.  The OVC's ten members have had 52.  Four bids is not huge in my opinion, but maybe it is. 

WSU and Creighton are gone.  If you read the sports pundits, WSU might not have made the NCAA this year had they not won the Valley Tourney, even with their glowing record.  The two schools were responsible for most of the multiple bids in the past decade. Northern Iowa had a nice run earlier this decade, but have they gone back to their norm?  SIU hasn't appeared in the NCAA for a decade.

As I said, an increase in incoming $$ (thru TV?) would be the issue that could entice Murray State to jump to the MVC. 

3 hours ago, JMM28 said:

Mvc was a multibid league when they had creighton and wich st. Solid Juan bid now. 

On 4/22/2017 at 1:21 PM, HoosierPal said:

With today's league configuration, the MVC's nine members have had a total of 56 NCAA invites.  The OVC's ten members have had 52.  Four bids is not huge in my opinion, but maybe it is. 

Does that include the five bids Belmont received before they joined the OVC?

On 4/22/2017 at 2:21 PM, HoosierPal said:

That statistic is meaningless and doesn't reflect the historical or current superiority of the MVC as a basketball conference. Although, even using that bogus stat would mean MVC teams go to 20% more tourneys. The Valley would be a big step up for the Racers or Belmont. 

25 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/shrinking-missouri-valley-conference-to-evaluate-nebraska-omaha-during-visit/

MVC visiting University Nebraska-Omaha.  UNO is no better than third fiddle in Omaha.   

Go fish.

Omaha is an interesting prospect. It would be more of a speculative play for the Valley, similar to when they added Northern Iowa. UNI and Evansville came into the MVC around the same time, I want to say 3 years apart. At that time, UNI was laughed at and (You People in)Evansville was a slam dunk addition. 

While I don't love Omaha for the MVC right now, I will say they have really nice facilities. They just built an 80 million dollar arena on campus to host their mens hockey and basketball programs. That is one of the most important things to look at in a potential school as it shows a serious commitment to athletics. 

Murray State, Valparaiso, Milwaukee, and Omaha have been the ones talked about for the MVC. Right now I think Murray State is a no brainer, Milwaukee next, and then probably Omaha. It will be interesting to see if they only add 1, 2, or 3 to get to 12 teams. 

I always thought there was a really self evident solve here for the Valley, add the Dakota schools and Omaha. North Dakota, North Dakota State, South Dakota State all have up and coming programs and very nice facilities. They also fit in the geographic spectrum with the existing schools of the conference. I believe that some of the Dakota Schools actually already play football in the MVC football conference. 

I always felt like this solution was staring them in the face. 

1 hour ago, JMM28 said:

Omaha is an interesting prospect. It would be more of a speculative play for the Valley, similar to when they added Northern Iowa. UNI and Evansville came into the MVC around the same time, I want to say 3 years apart. At that time, UNI was laughed at and (You People in)Evansville was a slam dunk addition. 

While I don't love Omaha for the MVC right now, I will say they have really nice facilities. They just built an 80 million dollar arena on campus to host their mens hockey and basketball programs. That is one of the most important things to look at in a potential school as it shows a serious commitment to athletics. 

Murray State, Valparaiso, Milwaukee, and Omaha have been the ones talked about for the MVC. Right now I think Murray State is a no brainer, Milwaukee next, and then probably Omaha. It will be interesting to see if they only add 1, 2, or 3 to get to 12 teams. 

I also think they should bring Dallas Baptist in as a full-time member, which would be bringing every team (with the exception of baseball) to the Division I level. The Valley used to extend south all the way into West Texas State (now West Texas A&M), and had a great basketball program - Maurice Cheeks hailed from WTSU. Would be an easy hub in and out travel-wise.

6 minutes ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

I also think they should bring Dallas Baptist in as a full-time member, which would be bringing every team (with the exception of baseball) to the Division I level. The Valley used to extend south all the way into West Texas State (now West Texas A&M), and had a great basketball program - Maurice Cheeks hailed from WTSU. Would be an easy hub in and out travel-wise.

Blue text?

2 hours ago, JMM28 said:

My guess is their is probably some Berkshire Hathaway wealth that might be willing to even further upgrades the facilities at UNO.  A lot of those early investors are getting old and may be looking for ways to have their name carry on.

58 minutes ago, brianstl said:

My guess is their is probably some Berkshire Hathaway wealth that might be willing to even further upgrades the facilities at UNO.  A lot of those early investors are getting old and may be looking for ways to have their name carry on.

I'd rather they renovate Epply Airfield, first. Worst airport in the U.S.

Mark Adams is an idiot.  First time I ever heard him was driving out of a YouDee basketball game where he was on the radio.  . His statements were preposterous in a vein that Dayton would be national champs (okay, he didn't say that, but based on his input, this is what he led you to believe).  His analysis was shallow and weak.  He was obviously a paid hack and he gushed poetically about the home team.  I think he wanted to be Dick Vitale when he grew up.  I am pretty sure he was a regular on the Dayton radio broadcasts back then.  His partner kept referring to him as "the coach" .... "let's get some objective analysis from the coach, Mark Adams."  When I finally got a look at him in the ASN studios over the A10 tournament, I cringed. 

And what is it with "the coach."  Can anyone of us be called "the coach" just because you've done so?  I've coached Little League baseball, NAIA basketball.  Indoor girls rec soccer (of which I essentially kept the door open so the girls could rotate in).  Can I be called "coach?"  Adams resume is five years as head coach at Central Connecticut.   He was an assistant at both Washington State and Idaho State.  He was HC at lower level Western Oregon and Rocky Mountain College.  I can't seem to find what his record was while at CCSU.

And how the hell does a guys with NW USA roots ( Pullman, WA; Pocatello, ID; Monmouth, OR; and Billings, MT) from 1979 to 1991, end up at Central Connecticut State (new Britain, CT) to begin with which then allows him to migrate to Dayton, Ohio, and the American Sports Network in Hunt Valley, MD?

Going to be interesting to see if his report is factual and Valpo goes.  I am doubting it/him right now.

6 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

And what is it with "the coach."  Can anyone of us be called "the coach" just because you've done so?  I've coached Little League baseball, NAIA basketball.  Indoor girls rec soccer (of which I essentially kept the door open so the girls could rotate in).  Can I be called "coach?"  Adams resume is five years as head coach at Central Connecticut.   He was an assistant at both Washington State and Idaho State.  He was HC at lower level Western Oregon and Rocky Mountain College.  I can't seem to find what his record was while at CCSU.

Based on your backgrounds, he can be called "the coach". You can't.

16 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Going to be interesting to see if his report is factual and Valpo goes.  I am doubting it/him right now.

He already walked back his report when the Murray State AD responded to his twitter report.

Lets not forget how totally wrong he was on the Bryce Drew saga as well. 

The guy is a maroon.