Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, ACE said:

No way SPUMAC hires a guy who transferred out of there as a player. My sources are telling me that Brian Gregory is emerging as a favorite.

Funny you mentioned Gregory.

This afternoon I was driving by Georgia Tech and saw this huge billboard saying "Congratulations Josh Pasternak-ACC Coach of the Year". Josh must have found his niche. Never thought much of him at Memphis. 

Here are the facts: 

SLU laid off 250 employees

No chance in hell the school can turn around and pay for arena upgrades. They are going to have to be 100% donor funded.

Donations to SLU are nowhere close to past numbers. 

The locker room and arena upgrades are nowhere close to a sure thing and If SLU does not give Ford the support he needs then he's going to walk.

Bottom line is If he walks in the near future due to lack of institutional support the Alumni and fan base are going to gather their pitchforks and a witch hunt will ensue. People are going to want Chris May's blood on their breakfast cereal. 

4 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I just read that Travis Ford is a CANDIDATE for MIZZOU'S new head coach. How would even be possible?

And if it did happen, would all the recruits and transfers join him? That would devastating for SLU

:unsure::rolleyes::wacko: Stop

5 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I just read that Travis Ford is a CANDIDATE for MIZZOU'S new head coach. How would even be possible?

And if it did happen, would all the recruits and transfers join him? That would devastating for SLU

Aright young fella, time for your mid afternoon nap...

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

It was two people close to the Mizzou program that Frank said he talked to.

I don't think there is any chance Ford goes anywhere in the next few years.  He needs to get the stain of having a conference winning percentage of 44% and never making the second week of the tournament at Okie St off of him before Power 5 programs are going to come calling.  That is going to take a lot more cleaning than what he has done on the recruiting front so far.

That said, rumors floating around about him and Mizzou serve a purpose for both Ford and Mizzou.  Ford wants more support from the administration at SLU and having people think you might leave is one way to try to get it.  Mizzou doesn't mind putting the thought in the heads of potential recruits that Ford is looking to get out of SLU right away.  So you will get reports in St Louis talking about Ford and Mizzou.  In the Kansas City area where Ford isn't viewed as a threat for guys Mizzou wants to recruit you hear absolutely nothing about Ford and Mizzou.

I'd be shocked if Frank has any real sources in the know that are plugged into the process with Sterk that are talking.  For obvious reasons, I'm paying close attention to this and Ford's name has only come up in this bizarro St. Louis media bubble.  I'm sure Frank knows some Mizzou alums, some of whom maybe even give money, but I don't get the sense that Frank, Matter, or Bernie have any "in" to those involved with Sterk in this process.  

Does the term "fake news" strike a chord? Can you recognize the level of political manipulation and BS underlying all of this feast of rumors about Ford and Mizzou? To start with just think who benefits from these rumors, is the rumored connection something that is likely to benefit Ford, or Chris May, or even Sterk in Mizzou? I do not think so. The only party that could win if these rumors come true might be OK State. Assuming that Mizzou agrees to pay Ford more than $ 3 M a year (which is unlikely) OK State would be relieved of their contractual obligation to cover any salary deficits below $ 3 M paid to Ford. That would bail them out of the stupid contract they signed with him. Otherwise if the rumors have any truth in them it becomes a lose / lose feast for all involved.

As far a SLU's, financial issues go, the Announcement of the 2017 high profile tournament next season with ESPN coverage is bound to bring increased revenue to SLU's athletic department, something they need to show to the administration at this time. We are not in bad shape. 

1 hour ago, MUTGR said:

I'd be shocked if Frank has any real sources in the know that are plugged into the process with Sterk that are talking.  For obvious reasons, I'm paying close attention to this and Ford's name has only come up in this bizarro St. Louis media bubble.  I'm sure Frank knows some Mizzou alums, some of whom maybe even give money, but I don't get the sense that Frank, Matter, or Bernie have any "in" to those involved with Sterk in this process.  

Frank replied to someone that Ford isn't going to Mizzou 

25 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Does the term "fake news" strike a chord? Can you recognize the level of political manipulation and BS underlying all of this feast of rumors about Ford and Mizzou? To start with just think who benefits from these rumors, is the rumored connection something that is likely to benefit Ford, or Chris May, or even Sterk in Mizzou? I do not think so. The only party that could win if these rumors come true might be OK State. Assuming that Mizzou agrees to pay Ford more than $ 3 M a year (which is unlikely) OK State would be relieved of their contractual obligation to cover any salary deficits below $ 3 M paid to Ford. That would bail them out of the stupid contract they signed with him. Otherwise if the rumors have any truth in them it becomes a lose / lose feast for all involved.

As far a SLU's, financial issues go, the Announcement of the 2017 high profile tournament next season with ESPN coverage is bound to bring increased revenue to SLU's athletic department, something they need to show to the administration at this time. We are not in bad shape. 

Okie St. and Ford agreed to a settlement months ago.  Okie St has paid off Ford and would get no relief if Ford gets a big salary.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Here are the facts: 

SLU laid off 250 employees

No chance in hell the school can turn around and pay for arena upgrades. They are going to have to be 100% donor funded.

Donations to SLU are nowhere close to past numbers. 

The locker room and arena upgrades are nowhere close to a sure thing and If SLU does not give Ford the support he needs then he's going to walk.

Bottom line is If he walks in the near future due to lack of institutional support the Alumni and fan base are going to gather their pitchforks and a witch hunt will ensue. People are going to want Chris May's blood on their breakfast cereal. 

How are we supposed to blood lust after May if his hands are apparently tied by the lack of funds? Is he personally responsible for soliciting outside donations?

Also Ford needs to show a couple winning seasons before he can just walk into a new job.. and it doesn't appear anything regarding the current state of the U. has been holding him back thus far. 

12 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

How are we supposed to blood lust after May if his hands are apparently tied by the lack of funds? Is he personally responsible for soliciting outside donations?

Also Ford needs to show a couple winning seasons before he can just walk into a new job.. and it doesn't appear anything regarding the current state of the U. has been holding him back thus far. 

Not saying we necessarily should but someone has to be a scapegoat 

30 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

The talking heads

Bingo. If they put together a list of actual candidates that Mizzou would be wise to consider, the average casual fan would know 1 or 2 out of 10 of them, and would lose interest during the search process. Throwing a couple of familiar names out there gets people talking and reading. It's called click bait.

Couple of thoughts:

- for those bemoaning the SLU commitment and need for us to do the locker room upgrades...I'm pretty sure they are taking donations. Step right up and do your part.

- brianstl nailed it with his assessment of why his name is being floated. MU likes it because it puts doubts in recruits heads about SLU. Ford may or may not have anything to do with it, but he could like it because it motivates SLU to give him additional pay and/or resources. It's all part of the game.

43 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Not saying we necessarily should but someone has to be a scapegoat 

How about you being the scapegoat today, I'll be tomorrow, someone else on Wednesday. 

Im curious, you complain nonstop about every facet of the athletic department, you're a big fan. What's the deal, CM turn you down for a job or JO mistreat you during one of your immature performances at a game?

The athletic department needs all the help it can get. Join the Billiken Club, donate some money, go to the golf tournament. Do something positive.