Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Dave Matter wrote of "murmurs of mutual interest for weeks" in his piece on Ford being possibility. Anybody else hear this?

There is no way that Ford would leave.  He has a class coming in that is outstanding.  It would be such a poor decision career wise for Ford.  The only reason he would listen is to boost his pay from SLU.  Ford is banking on a future position someplace in the state of Kentucky.

That list seems like it was put together by dreamers. They had more than half the programs from winning coaches in a great conference. The funniest for me is the Cal coach leaving who has been doing fine in the Pac-12 and leave sunny California and amazing institution Berkeley, for Columbia Missouri. 

7 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

That list seems like it was put together by dreamers. They had more than half the programs from winning coaches in a great conference. The funniest for me is the Cal coach leaving who has been doing fine in the Pac-12 and leave sunny California and amazing institution Berkeley, for Columbia Missouri. 

Lists like this are pretty common in coaching searches. If you didn't post or read here last year, you should have seen some of the suggestions that were being made here when Crews got fired.

Martin could be a complete non-starter as a serious candidate, or he could be interested. He went a year or 2 without having an official contract at Cal because of some the state of California bureaucracy. Maybe he doesn't like that.

22 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

That strikes me as nothing more than clickbait for Matter and Stltoday.com.

Agreed. We are at least a year away from needing to worry about Ford and the annual coaching carousel.

26 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I hear from people who are much closer to the situation than I, that this is a real possibility, if the Illinois job does not open up. 

39 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

If you didn't post or read here last year, you should have seen some of the suggestions that were being made here when Crews got fired.

Almost everyone here was obsessed with Bryce Drew. I never saw anyone throw out ridiculous names like the ones on the Mizzou article above. This myth got started by Bernie Miklasz.

23 minutes ago, slu72 fan said:

I hear from people who are much closer to the situation than I, that this is a real possibility, if the Illinois job does not open up. 

Funny how a great location, top 10 academics and a A+ conference aren't enough. If he goes, that would be an easy fill I would assume. Look Saint Louis is a large city without a professional basketball program that breeds top recruits in the area. This is a great place for a coach who can recruit. For the best fanbase in baseball there is enormous potential for a basketball fanbase since they do not overlap. If Ford stays and keeps recruiting, 3 years from now we could be discussing if we should move to scotttrade for some big games since Chaifetz would no doubt sell out with players like Gordon

Just now, hsmith19 said:

Almost everyone here was obsessed with Bryce Drew. I never saw anyone throw out ridiculous names like the ones on the Mizzou article above. This myth got started by Bernie Miklasz.

Yea exactly. We thought Bryce Drew would be the one to turn the program around, other than that I don't remember any other names

5 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Funny how a great location, top 10 academics and a A+ conference aren't enough. If he goes, that would be an easy fill I would assume. Look Saint Louis is a large city without a professional basketball program that breeds top recruits in the area. This is a great place for a coach who can recruit. For the best fanbase in baseball there is enormous potential for a basketball fanbase since they do not overlap. If Ford stays and keeps recruiting, 3 years from now we could be discussing if we should move to scotttrade for some big games since Chaifetz would no doubt sell out with players like Gordon

We will never discuss moving games to Scottrade. EVER 

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

Agreed. We are at least a year away from needing to worry about Ford and the annual coaching carousel.

The STL media likes to play the local fan bases off of each other if it can drive some traffic their way.  I've been scouring the internet and local air waves all season expecting Mizzou to be in the market and I've heard nothing of these Ford "murmurs of mutual interest" until today.  It doesn't make any sense, certainly not for him. And I get the impression Sterk has kept his thoughts close to the vest. 

Hiring Ford would be a tough sell both ways. Mizzou would be hiring a coach who just got fired and then won ~10 games (situation not withstanding), and Mizzou would be trying to get Ford to take them out of a tough situation at program that has experienced minimal success in the last 15 years.

Not worried about it.

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Bob Ramsey sort of mentioned this when he was on with Frank with at first being confused why he would leave Cal but then said he heard the athletic department is having problems financially if I remember correctly.  

It might be good time to give Tate a raise. You would have to think whoever gets the Mizzou job will try to get Tate back to Como.  I believe Tate got a two year contract when Ford hired him, but I have know idea what kind of outs might be in the contract.  

22 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It might be good time to give Tate a raise. You would have to think whoever gets the Mizzou job will try to get Tate back to Como.  I believe Tate got a two year contract when Ford hired him, but I have know idea what kind of outs might be in the contract.  

dont think he would go back to mizzou, but a pay raise is also well deserved, and would go along way with keeping him here.

As far as the new coach goes, no one is going to jump blind into a Mizzou position before they hire their new coach. After they hire their new coach, it is most likely that the hiring of assistant coaches will be done by the new coach himself. True, money speaks, but the mess that Mizzou is in may speak louder. Are you saying that Tate will  go there as their new HC? That might be an attractive offer for him, I agree with you there. However the new AD at Mizzou (who has been there less than a year) will most likely prefer a "name" head coach from another program, rather than an assistant coach from another program. We will see what happens.

3 hours ago, MUTGR said:

The STL media likes to play the local fan bases off of each other if it can drive some traffic their way.  I've been scouring the internet and local air waves all season expecting Mizzou to be in the market and I've heard nothing of these Ford "murmurs of mutual interest" until today.  It doesn't make any sense, certainly not for him. And I get the impression Sterk has kept his thoughts close to the vest. 

+1, "murmors of mutual interest" is total bush league level stuff from Matter or whoever wrote it, and Ford should rip him a new one