Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, waldo027 said:

Brutal for Butler fans to lose their coach at this point of the year for the 2nd time in 4 years.

It is brutal but they always seem to be able to find a capable replacement.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

It is brutal but they always seem to be able to find a capable replacement.

Butler coaches since 2000:

Barry Collier (1989-2000) - Butler alum, left for Nebraska job, later returned as Butler AD

Thad Matta (2000-01) - Butler alum, had been AC under Collier since 1997, left for Xavier job, left X for Ohio State

Todd Lickliter (2001-07) - Butler alum, had been AC under Collier & Matta since 1999, left for Iowa job

Brad Stevens (2007-13) - had been AC under Lickliter since 2001, left for Celtics (NBA) job

Brandon Miller (2013-14) - Butler alum, AC under Stevens from 2007-08, left for unspecified medical issue

Chris Holtman (2014-17) - Butler AC from 2013-14 under Miller

Crazy how many times other teams have poached Butler's coach over the last 17 years and they've pretty much not missed a beat.  Collier seems to be the key to the whole thing since he's had an influence over the program since 1989.  Given the track record you have to think they'll hire someone with previous experience coaching or playing at Butler.  No idea on this, but you wonder if they'd just swap coaches with Ohio State and bring back Matta on a cheap deal with Ohio State pays him.

21 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

This article says all the candidates have "Butler ties."  Surprisingly, while I thought the Matta-back-to-Butler idea made some sense, he's not even listed here:

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/06/09/who-are-the-candidates-to-replace-chris-holtmann-at-butler/

At this point Shrewsberry has to be considered the top choice.  Brad Stevens will be a huge supporter of Mich and that will carry a lot of weight.  He was a serious candidate at UMass, having two interviews, apparently offered the job, and then turned it down.  The issue Butler has to handle is salary.  Holtmann increased his personal revenue by somewhere between 2X and 3X with the move to OSU. 

Matta's health would be a huge question mark on him coming back one week after being let go by OSU. It would be a gamble to sign him up, particularly after the history with Coach Brandon Miller.  Matta needs to get healthy before he takes another job.  Another extremely long shot is Tom Crean. 

14 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

This. Plus, he has already failed at a large state school. He has the perfect job for his ability and desires at this point in his career.

This is what I hope that people are saying about Ford in a few years.

LaVall Jordan seems to be the front runner.  Former Butler player,  alum, and assistant. Current head coach at Milwaukee. 

He has only spent one year as a head coach going 11-24 so this is definitely a hire that is betting on the upside. Impressive credentials as an assistant though. 

37 minutes ago, johnbj14 said:

LaVall Jordan has agreed to be the next coach of Butler per ESPN and other reporters on Twitter. 

And the remaining two Butler Assistants reportedly are heading east to Columbus.  Can Butler hold onto its recruiting class.  Their top recruit had as his two finalists Butler and the OSU. 

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

And the remaining two Butler Assistants reportedly are heading east to Columbus.  Can Butler hold onto its recruiting class.  Their top recruit had as his two finalists Butler and the OSU. 

And he is from Ohio.

No more Diener's ever.  We got the worst of them and we should never go back.....  I'd rather have Sody or Grawer's kids or even the 300th name in the Waukesha phone book (as long as it isn't Diener.)  I'll never understand the Diener love on this board.  Why not bring back Ryan Luechtefeld to coach?  Or Larry Simmons?  I'd rather have Love or Walker than the lot.............

NO DIENER'S EVER!

Pretending we would want a former player as coach Anthony Bonner would be number one on my list.

Diener would be 300th on my former Billiken list names ahead of him Claggett, Tatum and so many others.

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Pretending we would want a former player as coach Anthony Bonner would be number one on my list.

Diener would be 300th on my former Billiken list names ahead of him Claggett, Tatum and so many others.

Diener is arguably the most successful Billiken alum coach and he's done it at the college level rather than the HS or AAU level.  https://rockhursthawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=218&path=mbball  I don't think SLU has the same type of program/support in place as Butler where they can take their pick of alumni / coaches connected to the program in some way and be successful.  However, if I was forced to choose a SLU alum to be coach I'd pick Diener or Jamall Walker.

I'm not really sure what Anthony Bonner has done coaching wise.  I know he was at Vashon a while back and has kicked around with the Knicks in various non-coaching roles.  Bonner is old enough that if he was going to become a successful coach, I think he'd have done it somewhere by now.

Claggs and Tatum have been pretty fantastic at the HS level, but I'd like to see them with some type of college experience first.

2 hours ago, ACE said:

I'd like to hire an NAIA assistant as the next coach... ;)

I see what you did there,  made me laugh