Coaching movement that might affect SLU

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The PD says MPJr is trying to recruit Kevin Knox (#7 USA) to Missouri.  I wonder how much he wants and where that money will come from.  I'd say if he doesn't ask for a cool million, he has no confidence in himself.

Paul Biancardi said on Franks show he thinks Knox is a long shot since Duke, UK and UNC have been after him for awhile.  Post Dispatch, especially Hochman, has become PowerMizzou light.  I miss Strauss.  #Trumandown

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Paul Biancardi said on Franks show he thinks Knox is a long shot since Duke, UK and UNC have been after him for awhile.  Post Dispatch, especially Hochman, has become PowerMizzou light.  I miss Strauss.  #Trumandown

Strauss would be starting the NCAA investigation countdown.

33 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

It is stunning watching how the post dispatch has become mizzou recruiting central. Wish Ford could get just a sliver of that love.

i hope Martin focuses all his near term efforts on recruiting these national 5 star recruits that guys like Hochman believe is possible. That kid Knox isn't coming, way to many better options to be on a guaranteed good team and play with multiple friends of his from the elite aau circuit. 

7 minutes ago, kshoe said:

It is stunning watching how the post dispatch has become mizzou recruiting central. Wish Ford could get just a sliver of that love.

i hope Martin focuses all his near term efforts on recruiting these national 5 star recruits that guys like Hochman believe is possible. That kid Knox isn't coming, way to many better options to be on a guaranteed good team and play with multiple friends of his from the elite aau circuit. 

Exactly.  I looked today and Hochman has had 7 of his past 11 articles that dealt with Porter or Mizzou recruiting when the Blues are pushing for post season and Cardinals season is starting. That's what happens when they hire all Mizzou grads (BenFred, Hochman, Goold, Gordon (co-founder of their student cheering section the Antlers)).  I don't recall any of them writing about Gordon, the St. Louis kid, verbally committing the SLU.

I don't think BenFred or Hochman have ever been to Chaifetz and it's right down the street.  I watched their riding in car with Ben's when Ford was on and Hochman spent most of the time talking about the 6th Man.  It has become brutal in the sports section there.  

10 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

Exactly.  I looked today and Hochman has had 7 of his past 11 articles that dealt with Porter or Mizzou recruiting when the Blues are pushing for post season and Cardinals season is starting. That's what happens when they hire all Mizzou grads (BenFred, Hochman, Goold, Gordon (co-founder of their student cheering section the Antlers)).  I don't recall any of them writing about Gordon, the St. Louis kid, verbally committing the SLU.

I don't think BenFred or Hochman have ever been to Chaifetz and it's right down the street.  I watched their riding in car with Ben's when Ford was on and Hochman spent most of the time talking about the 6th Man.  It has become brutal in the sports section there.  

Hochman had at least one article about Fords recruiting. He's kind Of hard to read though 

11 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

I never cared for Strauss, but I did appreciate his use of "Truman Down" and "Balloon Party."

10 hours ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Hochman had at least one article about Fords recruiting. He's kind Of hard to read though 

I like Hochman - he's a word nerd, which I appreciate, but sometimes his overuse of alliteration and repetition can be tedious.

This line from yesterday's column is straight outta Dr. Seuss:

It’s mind-bending as it is that Mizzou, once-woebegone Mizzou, has one McDonald’s All-American. Now possibly two?

1 hour ago, Box and Won said:

This line from yesterday's column is straight outta Dr. Seuss:

It’s mind-bending as it is that Mizzou, once-woebegone Mizzou, has one McDonald’s All-American. Now possibly two?

I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam-I-Am.

You know, I think you are right.

1 minute ago, waldo027 said:

Weird that he just got up and left the Thunder during the playoff push.

There really is no way to elegantly leave an NBA team for a college team given how much later their schedule goes. What other choice did he have? 

6 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Are you saying that Anthony's Grant is a better college coach than Archie Miller? 

No, but his ties to the NBA now and his ability to bring players to the NBA also helps. Miller is a fantastic coach don't get me wrong, I think Grant could have a step up on him in recruiting. Also I am sure he is getting paid a few million at Dayton, while OKC was 800,000 I think

20 minutes ago, kshoe said:

There really is no way to elegantly leave an NBA team for a college team given how much later their schedule goes. What other choice did he have? 

There is no elegant way to do it. If he really wants the job then he'll leave rather than miss the spring period. Not that the Thunder have any real title chances either.

25 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

No, but his ties to the NBA now and his ability to bring players to the NBA also helps. Miller is a fantastic coach don't get me wrong, I think Grant could have a step up on him in recruiting. Also I am sure he is getting paid a few million at Dayton, while OKC was 800,000 I think

What does being an NBA coach have to do with NCAA recruiting? 

I think Grant is a good hire for UD. Admittedly though, I've thought highly of him as a coach ever since he was at VCU. I've liked what Ford has done in one year at SLU, but when we were going through the coaching search, I'd have probably picked Grant over Ford.

With the possible exception of Dan Muller, who was reported to be a serious option, I think UD got the best candidate of the coaches that were reported. I did read somewhere that there was some urging by UD boosters who were around during Grant's time as a player at UD to hire him in exchange for them donating money to the school. Don't know if it's true.

Overall, I think the A-10 did well with its coaching searches. VCU kept it in the family to keep the Havoc train rolling. UD got an alum who should be able to succeed there. UMass actually made 2 good coaching hires, even if I think the first one was better than the second one. Finally, Duquesne is at temporarily acting like a real D-1 program by making a really good hire.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

What does being an NBA coach have to do with NCAA recruiting? 

Players who can see themselves in the NBA would be going to a guy who knows what the NBA is looking for.

"hey kid I know what they're looking for, and you got it. I know what skills the NBA wants you to develop and I have a plan for you, join me and I'll give you the keys to the road to the NBA" or something like that. Thats exactly what Ford said when asked about his recruiting

Stop trying to fight me every step of the way