Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My take on the Porter timeline:

- Papa Porter struck the deal with Romar last year thinking they would love it up in Washington and that this would be his big break as an assistant coach.

- After a difficult year on the court he realized that just having 1 NBA caliber player on a roster doesn't guarantee success and next year might not be smooth sailing for UW and Porter Jr.. At the same time, on a personal level, the move to Washington was particularly difficult with the girls back in Columbia. There was a legitimate homesickness and desire to get the entire family back to Columbia.

- Papa Porter speaks with Sterk (the Mizzou AD) and makes it known that they are in play if he can find a coach that will add him to staff.

- With this info in hand, Sterk goes on his search and uses the inevitability of getting the Porters as an incentive for new coaches. It's an obvious draw as what coach wouldn't want to step into a situation where he can immediately "recruit" and land the #1 player in his class.

- Papa Porter tells the Washington AD that Jr. isn't coming. This is the straw that breaks Romar's back and he's fired the next day.

- Cuonzo is hired the same day Romar is fired and he knows when he accepts the job that part of the gig is Papa Porter as assistant coach and the Porter boys in the pipeline. What coach wouldn't do that deal? Crews is probably stupid enough to pass on that, but no serious coach would pass on that opportunity.

- Papa Porter, and to a lesser extent the Porter boys, are told to act like this is a huge disappointment that Romar was fired and that they are going to re-think about their recruitment. Fact is, they knew all along they were going to Mizzou, no matter who the new coach was.

- Money was a factor, as it always is, and Papa Porter definitely stabbed his best friend Romar in the back, but their ultimate motive in doing this was getting the family back together in the same city.

- This is not an example of Cuonzo being some superior recruiter. Rather, he walked into an unreal situation where the #1 prospect in the country wants to be at a particular school and basically any coach other than Kim Andersen would be good enough for him to go with.

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

- Papa Porter struck the deal with Romar last year thinking they would love it up in Washington and that this would be his big break as an assistant coach.

- After a difficult year on the court he realized that just having 1 NBA caliber player on a roster doesn't guarantee success and next year might not be smooth sailing for UW and Porter Jr.. At the same time, on a personal level, the move to Washington was particularly difficult with the girls back in Columbia. There was a legitimate homesickness and desire to get the entire family back to Columbia.

- Papa Porter speaks with Sterk (the Mizzou AD) and makes it known that they are in play if he can find a coach that will add him to staff.

- With this info in hand, Sterk goes on his search and uses the inevitability of getting the Porters as an incentive for new coaches. It's an obvious draw as what coach wouldn't want to step into a situation where he can immediately "recruit" and land the #1 player in his class.

- Papa Porter tells the Washington AD that Jr. isn't coming. This is the straw that breaks Romar's back and he's fired the next day.

- Cuonzo is hired the same day Romar is fired and he knows when he accepts the job that part of the gig is Papa Porter as assistant coach and the Porter boys in the pipeline. What coach wouldn't do that deal? Crews is probably stupid enough to pass on that, but no serious coach would pass on that opportunity.

- Papa Porter, and to a lesser extent the Porter boys, are told to act like this is a huge disappointment that Romar was fired and that they are going to re-think about their recruitment. Fact is, they knew all along they were going to Mizzou, no matter who the new coach was.

- Money was a factor, as it always is, and Papa Porter definitely stabbed his best friend Romar in the back, but their ultimate motive in doing this was getting the family back together in the same city.

- This is not an example of Cuonzo being some superior recruiter. Rather, he walked into an unreal situation where the #1 prospect in the country wants to be at a particular school and basically any coach other than Kim Andersen would be good enough for him to go with.

Gonna guess this is about accurate. The family Twitter thing is too f*cking much now. Give me a break. Senior screwed over Romar.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

And will people quit acting like the Porters' ancestral home is Columbia?  They lived in Columbia for six years.  He moved there because his sister in law gave him job and she knew he had daughters that could play at a young age.

On this we can agree. Amen.

8 hours ago, kshoe said:

Good summary.  I agree that getting back to a place where you spent 6 years of your most formative years and being with family is a big draw.  

Kshoe probably nailed the whole Porter scenario. Too bad Zo got the knife in the back treatment from a friend, but that's life in the big time. Your best point was that Jim Crews  would have turned down this deal. As for Porter's impact on Mizzery I doubt it's going to deliver them a Nat'l Championship next year, see Duke this year, and then Porter leaves for the really big $$. However, getting Porter might help Martin lure Tillmon away from UI. I'm still kind of scratching my head over the UI hire. Yes, I think Underwood's a good x and o guy, but let's see how he does on the recruiting trail.

Back to SLU, does anyone think Travis tries to fill the two open scholies set up by our transfers? I would still like to see him bring in a serviceable big for next year but realize they're scarcer than hen's teeth this time of year. There does seem to be a number of 2's and 3's announcing they are transferring, but we look pretty solid at those positions.

18 minutes ago, cheesycow said:

I love billikens.com. I get older and it stays the same.

I love mizzou trolls that disappear for years on end but pop up on Billikens.com whenever good things happen to their program. I get older but they stay the same.

54 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Back to SLU, does anyone think Travis tries to fill the two open scholies set up by our transfers? I would still like to see him bring in a serviceable big for next year but realize they're scarcer than hen's teeth this time of year. There does seem to be a number of 2's and 3's announcing they are transferring, but we look pretty solid at those positions.

There are also a large number of high school seniors who have been granted a release from their NLI due to coaching changes.  They would not be 'transfers' but eligible day one.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Kshoe probably nailed the whole Porter scenario. Too bad Zo got the knife in the back treatment from a friend, but that's life in the big time. Your best point was that Jim Crews  would have turned down this deal. As for Porter's impact on Mizzery I doubt it's going to deliver them a Nat'l Championship next year, see Duke this year, and then Porter leaves for the really big $$. However, getting Porter might help Martin lure Tillmon away from UI. I'm still kind of scratching my head over the UI hire. Yes, I think Underwood's a good x and o guy, but let's see how he does on the recruiting trail.

I'm intrigued by the prep school big the staff recently offered, Khalea Turner-Morris.  Appears to be available due to eligibility concerns.  Built like former Billiken Kenny Brown.  Unlike Kenny, he has good footwork and can use both hands.  Such a player would be nice to have if one our bigs gets banged up.

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm intrigued by the prep school big the staff recently offered, Khalea Turner-Morris.  Appears to be available due to eligibility concerns.  Built like former Billiken Kenny Brown.  Unlike Kenny, he has good footwork and can use both hands.  Such a player would be nice to have if one our bigs gets banged up.

Well, if he has eligibility concerns.........a top 100 academic school like SLU looks to be a poor choice.  Here's hoping you are wrong and he has the grades and GPA to be successful at SLU.  Like you I like what I saw in the video finishing with either hand.  But wonder if he has any jump shot at all.  Don't remembering seeing anything but lay-ups and dunks in the video.  Haven't checked his profile so hope he also can hit the short jumpers.

12 hours ago, kshoe said:

+1 very plausible, love the coach Crews comment.

If the situation would have been the Porter family lived in St. Louis and SLU made the father the coach it would be Pit Bull time.

I think Missouri's turnaround will be as quick as SLU's and for me improved regional college basketball is a good thing,

13 hours ago, kshoe said:

You are forgetting that Coach Romar is close friends with Papa Porter, and Romar is also Jr. Porters godfather

2 hours ago, cheesycow said:

I love billikens.com. I get older and it stays the same.

Strange comment Cheesy, this board has had big improvements as far as the hardware and software running it.

If you are saying that the commenting is similar then we can agree.

You have to admit the looks of this board are is way better than tigerboard.

I have been on tigerboard and it is not well done compared to this board.

Celebrate the good things that are finally happening to the Missouri basketball program there is going to be a quick turnaround with the play.

Coach Martin is someone I can believe in that will be the coach for a long time as long as he is successful, I do not see coach Martin leaving for something better.i