Coaching movement that might affect SLU

2 minutes ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

Wait... are you telling me that if we had Crews Goodwin would still be coming here?

Please... 

well if crews had offered possibly.   remember crews had advised Goodwin he wasn't sure he was good enough and was unsure where he would fit. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

well if crews had offered possibly.   remember crews had advised Goodwin he wasn't sure he was good enough and was unsure where he would fit. 

I think we all agree For Da Love is wrong.  Kids come for the coaches more then anything else.  Thats why you have so much talk about a recruiting class sticking together once a coach is fired or hired elsewhere.  

Goodwin would not be here if it was not for Ford. Tatum was never going to come here to play for Crews.  Both can 'want to help the City' all they can... but like we saw with Tatum, Coach K is a lot more interesting then Crewsplatt. 

1 minute ago, WestCoastBilliken said:

I think we all agree For Da Love is wrong.  Kids come for the coaches more then anything else.  Thats why you have so much talk about a recruiting class sticking together once a coach is fired or hired elsewhere.  

Goodwin would not be here if it was not for Ford. Tatum was never going to come here to play for Crews.  Both can 'want to help the City' all they can... but like we saw with Tatum, Coach K is a lot more interesting then Crewsplatt. 

After Glory said that they didn't care about program's past accomplishments, FDL pointed out that Goodwin said that watching guys like Jett, Evans, etc helped him want to come here. But nah he's definitely wrong

2 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

After Glory said that they didn't care about program's past accomplishments, FDL pointed out that Goodwin said that watching guys like Jett, Evans, etc helped him want to come here. But nah he's definitely wrong

People on this board have terrible reading comprehension.

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

players are coming for Ford and his accomplishments. Not ours from years ago. 

Hmm. Our top ranked recruit in the class of 2017 has explicitly said otherwise. Was Goodwin lying about that?

Sounds like For Da Love thinks Goodwin came here simply because he saw Jett and Mitchell and would have come here with Crews at the helm instead of Ford.  Like I said.. I would put my life savings on it that Goodwin would not be here if Crewsplatt was here. 

Just now, WestCoastBilliken said:

Pot, meet kettle. People are smart enough to recognize that he wouldn't be here with Jibby Crews, including FDL. That wasn't his point though, but you got that, with your A+ reading comprehension huh?

Just now, WestCoastBilliken said:

Hmm. Our top ranked recruit in the class of 2017 has explicitly said otherwise. Was Goodwin lying about that?

Sounds like For Da Love thinks Goodwin came here simply because he saw Jett and Mitchell and would have come here with Crews at the helm instead of Ford.  Like I said.. I would put my life savings on it that Goodwin would not be here if Crewsplatt was here. 

Actually people on this board, much like the world, have a 100% right 100% wrong problem. I'm sure you can realize that Goodwin's deciding to come here was a mixture of ford and recent success.

I am also sure that people care a whole lot more that Goodwin is coming to SLU than whatever the reasons were for him choosing to come SLU. We cannot waste time trying to psych every single player that chose for or against us. However we can look at the balance sheet of recruitment wins vs losses for the season and agree that Ford has done a great job recruiting. How did he manage to hit upon the key factor that made these kids come here?, who knows? Is anyone upset that Ford is capable of finding ways to recruit great players? 

12 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Actually people on this board, much like the world, have a 100% right 100% wrong problem. I'm sure you can realize that Goodwin's deciding to come here was a mixture of ford and recent success.

Look the fact that SLU has proven that it can be great with the right players doesn't hurt us at all. The hard truth is that no one with options would play for a school like SLU because while we have a recent history, there are 30+ schools with better history than us in the past 3 years. Ford is the guy who has sold SLU to players who wouldn't have come here any other way. Ford would have gotten Tatum, as evidenced by the inside information that was leaked awhile ago that Tatum asked Crews for his PG and Crews said no. 

You understand that a tournament run of ten years ago would make today's highly recruited high school player like 6 or 7 at the time it happened?  What do you remember from when you were six or seven?  And I think you are selling Goodwin a little short ----- I think if Goodwin did see a lot of that, then he was there, in Chaifetz, in person and had some glare from the bright lights, big city, stoked atmosphere that rocked the Fetz when Washington, VCU and Butler came to town back then.  If I were Jordan Goodwin and could recreate that (and we know what happens when that goes down, if not lately, even as far back as Claggs and Hmark, Bonner and Douglass), then hell yeah sign me up for my hometown team.  The players were there -- but I'd offer immaterial --- or just another part of the hoopla. 

Once again, blanket statements don't work for either side.  Each situation is different.  We didn't get Jordan Goodwin with [dead] not recruiting him. Damn good thing Ford knows better.  It's a different fork in the road on many counts. 

I am not arguing the current point of how all A10 teams have had recent success.  That is debatable given the individual definition of "recent."  I say it is not as recent and as all-encompassing as the stats say.  That's all.  I guess you'd have to add Steph Curry to the all time A10 player hall of fame with this rationale. Even though he never played in an official conference A10 game.

3 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Oh my gosh you are right. That's exactly why all the top recruits in Saint louis went elsewhere in the past 5+ years and why we were able to get top ranked Talent before the Ford era.

you are SO RIGHT. It's just a coincidence that now that Ford is here, that we have attracted the best on paper talented recruiting class. Has absolutely nothing to do with Ford and has everything to do with the state of this program 4 years ago.  

Gordon came here over Kansas because of our history. Goodwin came here over Illinois because of our history. Bess left Michigan state and came here because of our history. 

GET REAL. 

I will try to make this simple for you and WestCoastBilliken, so please try to follow along.

I am not the moron insinuating that a player is committing to SLU because of one reason and one reason only. As was already pointed out by many logical posters, a variety of factors play into the decision. However, to say our 3 year stretch of NCAA appearances is not a factor for local kids would be totally false, as evidenced by the public statements from Goodwin.

Further, Crews faults overshadowed the factors that were in our favor, which does not automatically mean every local recruit committing now is doing so solely because of Ford. Is Ford likely playing a large role? Yes. As are other factors, including but not limited to, our somewhat recent success, Tate, staying close to home, etc. 

One last thing: The main reason Gordon committed is to stay close to his family and girlfriend. Ford and Tate were smart enough to sale that angle and get the commitment. I doubt Crews could've done so.

7 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

No kidding. But if everybody admitted this we wouldn't have the last 3 pages of back and forth BS in our lives.

4 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

The main reason Gordon committed is to stay close to his girlfriend. 

People don't understand how big this reasoning was. That's why I remain so nervous about the commitment

15 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Just keep them together until November and we're in the clear. Although I guess under this particular 100% theory then Crews would have gotten Gordon as long as the girl was still in the picture.

Who knows. Like I said above, Ford and Tate are great recruiters and knew how to use this angle to their advantage.

7 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Look the fact that SLU has proven that it can be great with the right players doesn't hurt us at all. The hard truth is that no one with options would play for a school like SLU because while we have a recent history, there are 30+ schools with better history than us in the past 3 years. Ford is the guy who has sold SLU to players who wouldn't have come here any other way. Ford would have gotten Tatum, as evidenced by the inside information that was leaked awhile ago that Tatum asked Crews for his PG and Crews said no. 

You're just trying to be dumb now. The issue isn't which school has better history. The issue is which school had success that kids grew up watching in their hometown. What Michigan State did while Goodwin was watching Jordair and Dwane win games in Saint Louis is less than irrelevant.