Coaching movement that might affect SLU

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

What Glorydays has not experienced like many of us have is the Billikens in the Great Midwest conference and Conference USA.

I loved beating Cincy and Bob Huggins, playing Louisville, DePaul.

A weekend conference leads to more boring games like the non conference blood donor games that mean nothing for a strong RPI and a at large bide see Illinois State.

Sorry to see coach Wade move on to LSU, and I hope Dayton can hang on to coach Miller.

That's no excuse... I'm fairly confident glorydays and I are about the same age. I didn't experience the great Midwest days (earliest memories are of the Josh Fisher, Marque Perry era). 

I still understand that we want our conference to be as strong as possible. Anyone should be able to understand that. 

Edit: I'm also fairly certain he wasn't much of a fan even four years ago when we had epic conference battles with Butler, Xavier, Temple, VCU, etc. Those years were awesome, and show why you should want your conference to be as strong as possible. 

Further edit: I'm all for new fans getting fired up about Billiken basketball, as long as they're genuine, but this crap about wanting a weaker conference just so we can dominate is ridiculous. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The idea is to stockpile enough coaching, talent, and experience to compete at a very high level in as good of a conference as possible -- good enough that winning a regular-season championship merits an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament.  (See Illinois State.)  You also want that conference to be respected enough to get preferential seeding in early-season tournaments.  Juan Bid ("one-bid") leagues don't get that; they get sent on the road for the first couple of rounds and play in the "lightweights" division even if they win against any of the "heavyweights."  (See Ball State.)  Also, members of higher-caliber conferences are able to schedule reciprocal home series (aka "home-and-home," which I don't think makes sense) against "Power 5" or "Power 6" conference schools.  Such conferences get more (many more) of their members' games shown on national television, and the most talented recruits want to play for such schools.

In other words, Gonzaga is an anomaly that won't last forever, not a formula for success.

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

VCU acting quickly. Reported to be meeting with Mike Rhoades, the Rice head coach, today. Quick resolution expected. For those who don't know, Rhoades was an assistant at VCU.

I'm wondering why VCU can't retain their coach.  Aren't they offering enough money?

Youngsters don't have the experience to understand the stuff grizzled old veterans do.  That's why we are grizzled.  For example:

"If Archie leaves now ..." hey, last time I checked, while Archie hasn't missed a shot against us in years, he doesn't play the game.  Dayton has a nice legacy that Archie has added to.  Dayton packs a 13k house every night, no matter the opponent.   Who els ein this league does that?  Answer?  No one.  Even VCU's place is just about half of Dayton's.

"The A10 is a breeding ground for coaches ..."  Why?  Will Wade?  Shaka?  Who else has progressed?  Jim Barron got fired at URI.  Pecora got canned at Fordham and is on TV.  Crews got canned.  Majerus died.  McKillop is entrenched at Davidson.  Lonergan got canned at Geedubya.  Martelli, Gianinni and Schmidt ain't going anywhere soon.  Ferry got fired.  Hewitt got canned at Mason.  The only other folks who advanced eventually failed -- Purnell and Gregory out of Dayton.  So short of Dayton and VCU -- zip.

"The Big East makes more sense ..."  Sure, we all know that but [dead] screwed the pooch there and we were cooked.  Given what you see in the Dance this year, can you see us doing battle nightly in the Big Eats with the likes of Gillman, Neufeld, Lancona, Agbeko, etc., etc.

"All it takes is one elite eight run to have the Big East come calling."  Sure.  Pretty simplistic and just as short-sighted.  When the new Big East formed, we were at the pinnacle of our highwater mark and still were left out.  Sorry, no, its not that simple.

Winning the tournament in a weakened league is never a given.  Having a strong enough conference makes an easier route for multiple teams getting in.  No?  Look at the Missouri Valley, Big West, Horizon, the new CUSA, the MAC and many others. 

"VCU has only class to stick with us ..."  Out on a limb.  You never know.  A whole bunch of recruits (Larrier, Mack, etc.) hit the road when Shaka did.  Now what happens when Wade does?  Wade still had Shaka recruits WIlliams, Tillman and Doughty for even next year.  I will still say I didn't see much more in his current class this year.

Keep your enthusiasm up but take the blinders down some.  This is Billiken basketball --- there is nothing normal or par for the course with us.

57 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

That's no excuse... I'm fairly confident glorydays and I are about the same age. I didn't experience the great Midwest days (earliest memories are of the Josh Fisher, Marque Perry era). 

I still understand that we want our conference to be as strong as possible. Anyone should be able to understand that. 

Edit: I'm also fairly certain he wasn't much of a fan even four years ago when we had epic conference battles with Butler, Xavier, Temple, VCU, etc. Those years were awesome, and show why you should want your conference to be as strong as possible. 

Further edit: I'm all for new fans getting fired up about Billiken basketball, as long as they're genuine, but this crap about wanting a weaker conference just so we can dominate is ridiculous. 

I agree 100 percent the conference was so fun with Butler, Xavier, Temple to go with VCU and Dayton, and for old guys like me beating Xavier was awesome after getting beat by them all of the time in the old MCC conference.

13 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

VCU acting quickly. Reported to be meeting with Mike Rhoades, the Rice head coach, today. Quick resolution expected. For those who don't know, Rhoades was an assistant at VCU.

Word is that this is already a done deal.

6 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Word is that this is already a done deal.

Just came up on my I-phone that VCU will announce Rhoades as the new coach.

Does anyone know anything about the coach?

As DeSmet said, he was a VCU assistant under Smart from 2009-2014, before taking the Rice job. He was 12-20 in each of his first two seasons at Rice but won 23 games this year. He was thought to be a candidate when Wade got the job and was the frontrunner from the start this time.

2 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Just came up on my I-phone that VCU will announce Rhoades as the new coach.

Does anyone know anything about the coach?

Former VCU assistant under Shaka Smart. Might have been an option when Shaka left, but Will Wade had one more year as a D1 head coach and you could say some more success, so they went with Wade.

Wouldnt expect things to be much different at VCU.

Thank you Pistol, it is good to see that he was one of the people they want and I hope VCU maintains there good play while he is the coach.

2 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Former VCU assistant under Shaka Smart. Might have been an option when Shaka left, but Will Wade had one more year as a D1 head coach and you could say some more success, so they went with Wade.

Wouldnt expect things to be much different at VCU.

Thank you DeSmetBilliken

55 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

"The A10 is a breeding ground for coaches ..."  Why?  Will Wade?  Shaka?  Who else has progressed?  Jim Barron got fired at URI.  Pecora got canned at Fordham and is on TV.  Crews got canned.  Majerus died.  McKillop is entrenched at Davidson.  Lonergan got canned at Geedubya.  Martelli, Gianinni and Schmidt ain't going anywhere soon.  Ferry got fired.  Hewitt got canned at Mason.  The only other folks who advanced eventually failed -- Purnell and Gregory out of Dayton.  So short of Dayton and VCU -- zip.

Travis Ford went from UMass to OK State.  Jim Barron also moved up from St. Bonaventure.

Also, FGCU's Dooley is leading candidate at UMass with Winthrop's Kelsey leading the group of Plan B's.  King Rice is a UMass plan B but likely to be hired by Duquesne.

13 minutes ago, Pistol said:

King Rice would be a great A10 coach. Would love to see him end up at Duquesne or UMass.

I would take Kelsey over Dooley if I were UMass.

Both would be quality hires for UMass.  But wouldn't it be fun to have Dunk City visit Chaifetz?

1 hour ago, kwyjibo said:

Travis Ford went from UMass to OK State.  Jim Barron also moved up from St. Bonaventure.

Also, FGCU's Dooley is leading candidate at UMass with Winthrop's Kelsey leading the group of Plan B's.  King Rice is a UMass plan B but likely to be hired by Duquesne.

Goodman just posted on twitter that Kelsey has agreed at UMass. I think that's a great hire. 

On 3/19/2017 at 5:53 PM, Glorydays2013 said:

Good news for future A10 champs SLU

The good A10 for SLU is one that routinely gets 4 or 5 bids to the Dance, not a Conference USA or Missouri Valley league where even the regular season champ does not get a bid if that team fails to win the post-season league tourney.  Great players want a league where they play with and against other great players.  Remember the year before the Big East expanded and took Xavier and Butler from the A10......now that was a league.

Look I absolutly want to A10 to be a good conference, but I want SLU to also dominate. I think this is the first time in the past however many years that SLU is on the path to compete for recruits against p5 schools on a routine basis. SLU in 2 years on the current Trend of players, I personally believe that we can hang with teams in the B10, or SEC routinely. The problem that I think some of you have is looking too much to the past, because it doesn't matter much anymore (look at Indiana fans). I think in my time the Majerus years transformed this program and players will come here for the coach, location, and to be a star of the city surrounded by talent and sports fandom. 

Also when i say the the past doesn't matter is we don't have a historic resume that blows any recruits minds when we are competing against Duke, Kansas, Illinois and Mizzou. Doesn't mean we can't build that, but that's the reality.