Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiring Crean is a steal. The guy has proven success. I despised him at Marquette but the guy can win.

Underwood is a seriously huge question mark, I think.

Urbana-Champaign dumped 6 million dollars to get Underwood to coach there next year. Wow.

If he fails it will be Chris Lowery-level catastrophe. They are taking a big risk. Put the screws to them, Travis. No recruits for Illinois.

Underwood is a little underwhelming from a name standpoint, but a solid hire I think. He did a really nice job at SFA. Can he recruit and win at the Big Ten level?

i would grade his hire better than the Cuanzo hire. 

1 hour ago, johnbj14 said:

I'm sorry but if Illini fans are underwhelmed by Underwood I really don't know what to say. The guy is a fantastic coach. His recruiting is the unknown, but he really is a tremendous X's and O's tactician. 

they paid out 6 million dollars for "unknown recruiting" ????

I'll give you some suggestions for Illini fans that are underwhelmed: "taking the long view" "cautious" "skeptical" "not drunk and overdosing on the kool-aid"

Brad Underwood may go on to become the next Majerus, none of us can know that. Underwood has shown some great potential and has had success at SFA. He managed to get a lot done with Ford's players(Still lost in the first round. I'm pretty sure Ford would have had a similar season had OSU kept him around)

I am however very surprised and very skeptical at Illinois dumping out that kind of money to land a coach with "unknowns"

Trying to go out on a limb like this may be the only way in the modern NCAA basketball environment to land a truly elite coach like Self or Few, that may absolutely be the case, but it is a lot of money to drop on something that has so many question marks around it.

12 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Underwood is a little underwhelming from a name standpoint, but a solid hire I think. He did a really nice job at SFA. Can he recruit and win at the Big Ten level?

i would grade his hire better than the Cuanzo hire. 

This is pretty much where I am at.  Neither hire is an obvious home run hire.  I think the ceiling is much higher for Underwood if he proves he can recruit.  Underwood could be an outstanding hire if that turns out to be the case because he sure can coach.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Brad and Travis need to get together for lunch and b_tch about the OSU program, and, oh, agree to a home and home series.

Oh hey there, "HoosierPal"

I wanted to bring something up with you that is relevant regarding this Underwood hire by Urbana-Champaign.

You've often stated throughout this season that you buy in to the coach's radio statements and talk about how great their players and town etc. are

Let me drop you some wisdom from OSU fans, this is from poster "Big Orange" over at the orangepower.com board:

This has to be the most disappointing day in OSU basketball history.

The incident with Eddie is close. The man was haunted by a life-long problem and it finally was more than he could cover for. We will always love and respect Eddie. This was sad and while not excusing it, his life of honor and class and all he did for OSU count for a lot too.

The loss to Georgia Tech in San Antonio really hurt. I truly think we were better than them and I would have loved to have at least had our shot at UConn. Eddie and our team deserved a trip to the finals.

The loss to UCLA in Seattle hurt.

The loss to Princeton in Corvallis hurt. That team had SO much potential and so few people got to see it.

Leonard leaving us hurt at the time, but Eddie soon made us forget that hurt.

Seeing the ultimate good guy, Paul Hanson, have to call it quits hurt.

But Brad Underwood made us believe in him. We really thought he was one of us. We thought he embraced the OSU and Big 8 tradition. He said and did all the right things. We all got behind him, not because of the wins, but because of what he said and did. He made us believe that he WANTED to be in Stillwater. He made us believe that it was not all about money, but about the players, the fans, the program, integrity.

I don't care if he had issues with Holder. If he thought he deserved the same salary as Bob Huggins, Bill Self and even Lon Kruger, he is just too high on himself. Those guys have earned that level of pay from YEARS of winning.

Brad, everything you told the players and us fans was a LIE. You are a fraud. You truly broke our hearts. You once again made my overall enjoyment of college athletics decrease forever.

Yes, I realize this is just sports. This is not life and death. However, some of us donate large amounts of money and spend our leisure time following OSU sports because we enjoy it. People like Brad Underwood make it a rotten experience for all.

What a meltdown.

Well, I can say this illini fan is thrilled with the hire.  Im not sure what boards you all frequent but Illinois loyalty is ecstatic with the hire.  I must say, completely shocked as this came way out of left field, but thrilled nonetheless.  I do think that recruiting is the unknown here, but BU is a brilliant x&o tactician.  I think if we keep the class together and hire some good recruiters we should be in great shape.  The coaching carousel is a fast moving machine and I feel like Whitman may have been slow played by a couple targets due to the other openings out there and seen his chance to lock up a great coach that wasn't on anyone's radar.  Great hire 

8 hours ago, CGMAN618 said:

Well, I can say this illini fan is thrilled with the hire.  Im not sure what boards you all frequent but Illinois loyalty is ecstatic with the hire.  I must say, completely shocked as this came way out of left field, but thrilled nonetheless.  I do think that recruiting is the unknown here, but BU is a brilliant x&o tactician.  I think if we keep the class together and hire some good recruiters we should be in great shape.  The coaching carousel is a fast moving machine and I feel like Whitman may have been slow played by a couple targets due to the other openings out there and seen his chance to lock up a great coach that wasn't on anyone's radar.  Great hire 

I was wondering what you thought and figured you would be happy with the choice.  They really pulled a rabbit out of the hat getting him.  Is it possible that coach Underwood was the top guy on their list?  I never read or saw anything that led me to believe that coach Underwood was unhappy at OSU and would leave after a year.  I hope SLU learns something from this and takes good care of the coach Ford.

So, was he interviewing while still prepping his team for a Friday game in the NCAA's?  If so, pretty bad.......being in WV brings memories of Rich Rodriguez interviewing at  Michigan while chasing a possible National title with his WV football team.....it smells of bad character if true.

41 minutes ago, CBFan said:

I was wondering what you thought and figured you would be happy with the choice.  They really pulled a rabbit out of the hat getting him.  Is it possible that coach Underwood was the top guy on their list?  I never read or saw anything that led me to believe that coach Underwood was unhappy at OSU and would leave after a year.  I hope SLU learns something from this and takes good care of the coach Ford.

It is highly unlikely that Underwood was their first choice, but Indiana opening up plus a few rejections led quickly to him. I'm impressed with Whitman so far in his aggressive nature in hiring and general demeanor. I wish we had an AD like that. 

Hopkins was scheduled to take over for Boeheim after next season, but I'm guessing Boeheim changed his mind and will be around a few years longer. He's been an asst at Syracuse since the mid-90s, but is from the west coast originally. Late 40s. I've always thought he knew what he was doing but we'll see. Who were their other options, exactly? 

7 hours ago, CBFan said:

I'm not sure if he was on Whitmans radar or not.  From what I have heard, when his contract renegotiation broke down with Holder his agent made contact with JW.  JW was not gonna ride this out and get into a bidding war against Indiana or any other school over one of his targets and jumped at the chance to get his coach.  Very impressed with what JW has done in his first year as AD for Illini athletics

@WV_Billiken no interviews had taken place before his team played on Friday.  Contact had been made between his agent and JW, but the first meeting between the two didn't happen until OSU returned to Stillwater on Saturday and JW flew down there to meet him.