Coaching movement that might affect SLU

17 hours ago, CGMAN618 said:

I haven't heard much on the Illini side, at least nothing more than the random rumor that everyone else has heard.  Whitman really is keeping this one close to the chest, nothing credible has been leaked at least.  It seems we are pressing hard for Tony Bennett and possibly Archie Miller/Kevin Keatts but Bryce Drew may very well be the fallback option.  

Indiana certainly made the search even more interesting.  I think the whole Martin/Porter/Mizzou deal has been in play since Anderson was let go.  I think Martin may have gauged interest with us or vice versa but we were not about to pay that kind of money and he wasn't at the top of our list so he jumped on the deal before he got left standing in the cold.  I think Martin is overrated as a coach and Mizzou paid way too much.  Once he stays in one place for more than a few years people will see he is just another recruiter that can't coach, then he will start losing the recruits.  

That being said, he is a good recruiter and STL is gonna be a battle for recruits between them, you guys, and us. As far as Jamal Walker possibly leaving to join CM, idk, it could happen.  But I would think even if he did go there, you guys would have the best chance of landing Tilmon if he wants out.  I know he is close with walker, but he had no relationship whatsoever with mizzery or CM.  I have a feeling that Walker is going to wait around and see what the new coach has to say, and Whitman is most likely doing everything he can to guarantee the new coach keeps him on staff to keep this class intact.  

Nice summary, of plausible possibilities who do would you like to be the next coach?

I think with the horrible shape of the Missouri program I think they had to over pay any coach and I think coach Martin is the best they could convince.  At least coach Martin has their fans excited, see tiger board, and they will see better players in the future.  I hope coach Martin does well unless he is competing with SLU.

The Illinois program is in much better shape and seems to have the players that can win immediately.

If Illinois brings in a top coach then I do not seeing much or any flipping of recruits.

This is always a fun time of the college basketball season, March madness and coaching moves.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm worried right now that Tate will leave to join Martin at Mizzou.  If that happens, then bye-bye Gordon.

No worries, then coach Ford will recruit someone else.

We all believe that coach Ford can recruit so in Ford I trust.

Also maybe Mr. Gordon would like to play at home in front of his parents and friends on a team that will be dancing.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

No worries, then coach Ford will recruit someone else.

We all believe that coach Ford can recruit so in Ford I trust.

Also maybe Mr. Gordon would like to play at home in front of his parents and friends on a team that will be dancing.

Easier to Dance at SLU than Mizzou in terms of winning conference

3 hours ago, CBFan said:

Nice summary, of plausible possibilities who do would you like to be the next coach?

I think with the horrible shape of the Missouri program I think they had to over pay any coach and I think coach Martin is the best they could convince.  At least coach Martin has their fans excited, see tiger board, and they will see better players in the future.  I hope coach Martin does well unless he is competing with SLU.

The Illinois program is in much better shape and seems to have the players that can win immediately.

If Illinois brings in a top coach then I do not seeing much or any flipping of recruits.

This is always a fun time of the college basketball season, March madness and coaching moves.

I agree with you about Mizzou. They had to make an offer they knew nobody else would make him.  Given his recruiting ties to the area, it was a smart move on their part.  He will get his fair share of recruits for sure. 

As for Illinois, yesterday I would have said I thought we had a decent shot at landing Bennett and slim chances of Miller but most likely a Drew/Keatts type hire.  The past 8-9 hours have drastically changed that.  Keatts is off the board, and this afternoon I was hearing some info that we have been looking at Scott Drew, not Bryce, and that it could be a very real possibility that he is the next coach.  Then, in the past hour or so, a couple of "insiders" on Illinois Loyalty have said that it is in fact Monty Williams who will be the next coach and he will be announced early next week.  So, who the hell knows now, lol. It truly is March MADNESS!!

I will add that early this afternoon, I seen a tweet that said Jamal Walker told them he spoke with AD Whitman and said that he would be retained as an assistant coach.  The implication is that a new coach must be hired if he knows he is being retained.  TIFWIW

If in fact a coach is hired and an announcement is coming early next week, my guess would be Monty Williams.  Given the Colangelo ties and the fact the 2 names most people have been saying could still be playing into next weekend

I thought he was out as well.  I seen the tweet from Woj last weekend but heard a few days later that no offer had been made to him yet.  Then, a couple days ago, I seen a reporter tweet that he had spoken with Monty and was told that he did have interest in the job still so who knows.  

This is what I have been pondering: Whitman knew he was going to fire Groce before the season ended.  He approaches Jerry Colangelo for help in the search.  JC sees an opportunity to help his buddy Monty out and help his alma mater get back to the program it used to be.  But JW has his sights set on a proven high major coach.  So they agree to leak a story that Illinois is looking to pay high $$$$ but MW turned it down in hopes of garnering major interest from the big fish.  Give JW a little bit of time to try and land one of the big boys, if not, then MW is the fallback option instead of settling for a 2nd or 3rd tier candidate.  Idk, that's just my opinion trying to read the tea leaves.  I will say, I would be thrilled if Monty is our fallback option 

It is time to call Archie Miller CG Dayton's season is over.

On 3/16/2017 at 11:04 PM, CGMAN618 said:

The apparent rumor is Bryce Drew, at Vanderbilt, not Scott

As a Vanderbilt fan, I would be disappointed in losing Bryce Drew. As an A-10 fan, I hope Dayton keeps Archie Miller. As a SLU fan, Bryce Drew wouldn't particularly scare me in terms of losing local recruits. Then again, neither does the potential hiring of Crean or Archie Miller.

Being a college coach is a totally different thing from coaching in the NBA. Being a coach in NCAA gives a lot more authority, but requires way more micromanagement and control by the coach over every aspect of the team, all the way down to making road trips to crappy towns to watch a lot of high school ball.

Not surprised that Williams is uninterested in that lifestyle.

Illinois would be very unwise if they aren't trying to contact Tom Crean.

Indiana is just hopeless. They will never be happy until Bob Knight comes out of retirement. Delusional hoosiers.

7 hours ago, Soderball said:

Being a college coach is a totally different thing from coaching in the NBA. Being a coach in NCAA gives a lot more authority, but requires way more micromanagement and control by the coach over every aspect of the team, all the way down to making road trips to crappy towns to watch a lot of high school ball.

Not surprised that Williams is uninterested in that lifestyle.

Illinois would be very unwise if they aren't trying to contact Tom Crean.

Indiana is just hopeless. They will never be happy until Bob Knight comes out of retirement. Delusional hoosiers.

I agree about Indiana.  That is one job that is next to impossible to please their fans.  I think Crean is a decent coach and got a raw deal there.  That being said, no thanks to Crean.  Illinois will not be considering him.  The way he was oversigning on scholarships every year and shoving who he didn't want out the door is what damaged recruiting relationships for him.  Some of the same relationships that Groce was establishing. It's a big reason we was able to pull Jalen Coleman-Lands away from Indy and was in the running for Kris Wilkes.  Whitman is not about to hire someone who is going to destroy those ties we have worked hard at establishing.  Creans best bet would be to try to take the Cal or LSU jobs.  He is done in Big Ten country

1 hour ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Someone mentioned in a forum that Umass could be in the running for Crean. As far out as that sounds, would we rather Crean compete against us for recruits or in conference?

Crean joining Umass is good for us. anything that is good for the a10 is good for us.

a stronger conference is better.

Crean taking the umass job is nuts. LSU and Cal are serious suggestions.

9 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Oklahoma State probably regrets firing Travis Ford now.

I doubt I'd go that far but it definitely shows that there is a lot to be said for stability and once you start switching things up, they can be switched up on you quickly.

He doesn't have any great ties to the St. Louis area that I'm aware of, but he is one heck of a coach and will win a lot of games at Illinois.

His winning and NCAA success with a small program is very impressive. On the other hand no real record recruiting high level players or competing in a tough conference.  Who knows what he will do in the big ten.  I don't see him out recruiting Travis Ford.