Coaching movement that might affect SLU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

Why do you think that?  Can you name the top recruit Martin has ever landed from the area?  He hasn't lived in the area in 26 years.

Just because he hasnt yet, doesnt mean he cant or wont. 

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

He signed 3 classes at MO St. and the best player from the area he land was Nathan Scheer.

Thats when he was a no name on the coaching scene, and at Mo state.. hard to get kids there regardless.

He now brings in 4* and 5* regularly, is from st louis area, and will also have Walker with him.

It seems to me that Walker going to SPUMAC could actually help our chances with Tillmon...

Tillmon committed to Illinois on July 11, nearly three weeks before Tate came to SLU.

Reportedly Tillmon had/has a good relationship with Tate and Goodwin. 

He also has a good relationship with Walker, BUT if Walker leaves for Mizzou, that certainly makes Illinois a lot less attractive. I was more concerned about Illinois retaining Walker. Could Walker going to SPUMAC put them in play for Tillmon? Sure, it would seem possible, but he would be picking a school he never seemed to seriously consider.

Maybe he figures, I'll just stay home for my one year of college and play with my buddy Goodwin, rather than going to one of those unsettled situations at Illinois or SPUMAC. There was speculation on the Illinois board that some in Tillmon's "inner circle" want him to go to SLU.

Admittedly, a lot of my MBM speculation on this is wishful thinking, but a lot of wishful thinking has come to fruition since Ford took over: landing quality transfers, Goodwin, French, Gordon and Thatch. Maybe this is the next too good to be true development.

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:
9 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Thats when he was a no name on the coaching scene, and at Mo state.. hard to get kids there regardless.

He now brings in 4* and 5* regularly, is from st louis area, and will also have Walker with him.

He doesn't regularly sign 5 star players.  He had 1 recruiting class that had five star players.  1 in 9 years as a head coach

7 minutes ago, brianstl said:

He doesn't regularly sign 5 star players.  He had 1 recruiting class that had five star players.  1 in 9 years as a head coach

he had two in just one class?

And again, I dont count MSU when talking about recruiting. 

So again, 2 5* in 6 years isnt bad.  o Ya, those two 5 stars he got to play at Berkeley.  BERKELEY.

I am really confident that coach Ford will continue to recruit well in St. Louis.

Coach Martin will have to sell the recruits to come and help fix the dumpster fire in Columbia.

Recruits that want to stay home and play in front of their parents and friends will come to SLU as long as SLU is dancing every year.

Mr. Gordon could have played for anyone but currently has verbally committed to SLU.

Coach Martin will compete for the same recruits as coach Ford, this was going to happen no matter who the new coach of SPUMAC was going to be.

Illinois new coach will also recruit some of the same players we have to win the recruiting battles.

SLU will prevail and I think we have many fun seasons to enjoy.

9 minutes ago, JMM28 said:

Don't really get the fascination with Cuonzo. Where has he won anything without LaPhonso Ellis to pass to? 

That Cal team is mostly notable for the first round loss to Hawaii. I don't think he's really worth wetting our pants over.

Martin is going to recruit well as a local P5 coach because that's what he does. When he went to Tennessee he got good Tennessee players. At California he got really good California players. At Missouri he's going to get really good Missouri players. Missouri finally has a chance of keeping top 25 players in state.

His history shows that he's going to assemble top 20 classes that play like top 50 classes. In any case, as long as we get our share top 150 recruits, I'm fine with Cuonzo getting overpaid at Mizzou. He's a high character guy.

4 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

That Cal team is mostly notable for the first round loss to Hawaii. I don't think he's really worth wetting our pants over.

...and they looked really good last night in their NIT loss to a Cal directional school!  Right, the NIT not the NCAA.  I'm sure Cal isn't too upset about this.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Martin is going to recruit well as a local P5 coach because that's what he does. When he went to Tennessee he got good Tennessee players. At California he got really good California players. At Missouri he's going to get really good Missouri players. Missouri finally has a chance of keeping top 25 players in state.

His history shows that he's going to assemble top 20 classes that play like top 50 classes. In any case, as long as we get our share top 150 recruits, I'm fine with Cuonzo getting overpaid at Mizzou. He's a high character guy.

I agree with all of this. He is a high character guy. Bash Mizzou all you want, it's your right, but don't let your Mizzou hatred turn to Zo hatred.

6 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

No one is wetting their pants, but Martin should be formidable in the STL area, especially if the Walker rumor is also true

Shouldn't a coach at the big public school be formidable in the state's biggest metro area? I mean, surely nobody here was expecting another dud on par with the former D2 national champion.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Why do you think that?  Can you name the top recruit Martin has ever landed from the area?  He hasn't lived in the area in 26 years.

-he's never been this close at a P5 school, either

-on the Tilmon front, if Walker goes to Mizzou then Illinois could give Tilmon a release to his LOI that says he can't go to Mizzou or any school, including SLU

Just now, Cowboy said:

-he's never been this close at a P5 school, either

-on the Tilmon front, if Walker goes to Mizzou then Illinois could give Tilmon a release to his LOI that says he can't go to Mizzou or any school, including SLU

I would bet Illinois will not give anyone any release until the new coach is signed and has a chance to talk to recruits.   at that point I agree with cowboy, good chance their release will have limits.  

11 minutes ago, hsmith19 said:

Shouldn't a coach at the big public school be formidable in the state's biggest metro area? I mean, surely nobody here was expecting another dud on par with the former D2 national champion.

Correct, I meant more formidable than any other candidate that was a realistic hire for the job