Coaching movement that might affect SLU

On 3/14/2017 at 0:48 PM, Clock_Tower said:

OG

I sure hope you are wrong on this.  The University does have financial issues... but these issues appear based upon the school's policy of continuing academic programs and staffing without meaningful re-evaluation over the years.  Certainly, Fr. Biondi reworked and invested in the infrastructure/campus over his 25 years but I don't believe similar investment and review was placed in the academic offerings, faculty and staffing.  Finally, that is now taking place.  Certain faculty and staff will be upset, but SLU needs to make tough decisions and move on.

But just because the University have issues on certain fronts does not mean that the University will (or should) impose a freeze on all campus wise spending.  Certain departments did extremely well over the past 25 years while others did not.  Certain departments are revenue raisers and others are not.  Certain departments bring visibility, prestige and donations and others do not.

At the end of the day, the sports programs at SLU (excluding men's basketball for the moment) are certainly not up to the standards of being a Top 50 University and not up to the standards of the Big East or other such institutions.  IMO, terminate the less popular academic offerings, eliminate some faculty and their staffs and then initiate a campaign to bring the athletic department up to the standards of a Top 50 University - and IMO, this would include an off season training facility for baseball and the other sports..

Clock, I do not know what what the University is planning to do to solve their financial problems or how it will impact the Athletic department. However, I do know that issues like the ones they are facing are not just a simple matter of chopping off a few programs and eliminating unoccupied positions. These things tend to go much deeper and involved than anyone anticipates. That said, you may well be correct in what you are saying, although I doubt it.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

recruiting STL is gonna be a bloodbath

1 hour ago, wgstl said:

recruiting STL is gonna be a bloodbath

Why do you think that?  Can you name the top recruit Martin has ever landed from the area?  He hasn't lived in the area in 26 years.

14 minutes ago, LongLiveLisch said:

Gabe DeArmond is reporting that Martin is expected to hire Walker from Illinois as an assistant. 

Yikes, best recruiting duo in the state of Missouri west of Skinker Boulevard!