Other D-1 Tournament games

At first, I figured UNC-Asheville was the 1-seed but they were actually the 2. Winthrop is still in it. So I'm relieved. I feel bad for the 1-seeds that lose in the conference tournaments and have no shot of making the NCAA Tournament. I'm hoping most of them win out in the conference tournaments, honestly. Then in a year like this, with a soft, doughy BCS-conference bubble, those top teams from the small conferences are going to have some solid chances for some Tournament upsets.

I do like fact that if a regular season Champion doesn't win the conference , they get an automatic NIT bid...

On March 3, 2017 at 8:58 AM, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Would be hilarious if the "Fighting Camels" won the tournament to play in the tournament. I live the goofy sounding names and mascots

A camel walks into a bar and the BT says "why the long face?"

2 hours ago, Franchise_08 said:

Another reason to avoid the MVC...Illinois State won the damn league and had 1 loss and is still considered to be on the bubble. That wouldn't happen in the A10. 

Devils advocate:  all of our sports that aren't basketball that end up on the bubble because the A10 is atrocious when they'd be in a better spot if we were in the MVC 

I am not trying to put anyone down with this post. Factually speaking SLU is laying off 4% of its work force (administrative personnel only) coming Monday. Classes, etc... will not be affected by this move. However, there is an ongoing review of academic programs and faculty positions going on currently. It is likely that this review will lead to cuts of academic programs and faculty positions as well. Of course, nothing is likely to happen until this academic semester ends.

The reason for these cuts is the $16 M deficit experienced by SLU last year (? not sure when but recently), and their reluctance to use the endowment to keep non productive programs alive. This has led to actions like bringing back Biondi, in a part time non salaried basis, to help with fundraising. It appears that SLU needs to raise $40 to $80 M to control the financial situation. This may prove difficult without a lot of additional cuts of personnel and programs.

Given this financial situation you can rest assured that there will be a strong reluctance on the part of the administration to take any actions with the sports programs that will require significant expense, like changing leagues will. In SLU's case we will not only incur additional expenses to leave A10 and join another league but will forgo an unspecified amount of income scheduled to come from A10 as a result of the good years we had in the recent past. Financially, any such action makes no sense at all given the current financial stress the University is going through. In other words, a change of league membership may perhaps occur sometime in the future, but not now.

5 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I am not trying to put anyone down with this post. Factually speaking SLU is laying off 4% of its work force (administrative personnel only) coming Monday. Classes, etc... will not be affected by this move. However, there is an ongoing review of academic programs and faculty positions going on currently. It is likely that this review will lead to cuts of academic programs and faculty positions as well. Of course, nothing is likely to happen until this academic semester ends.

The reason for these cuts is the $16 M deficit experienced by SLU last year (? not sure when but recently), and their reluctance to use the endowment to keep non productive programs alive. This has led to actions like bringing back Biondi, in a part time non salaried basis, to help with fundraising. It appears that SLU needs to raise $40 to $80 M to control the financial situation. This may prove difficult without a lot of additional cuts of personnel and programs.

Given this financial situation you can rest assured that there will be a strong reluctance on the part of the administration to take any actions with the sports programs that will require significant expense, like changing leagues will. In SLU's case we will not only incur additional expenses to leave A10 and join another league but will forgo an unspecified amount of income scheduled to come from A10 as a result of the good years we had in the recent past. Financially, any such action makes no sense at all given the current financial stress the University is going through. In other words, a change of league membership may perhaps occur sometime in the future, but not now.

Wouldn't that be an investment anyways since another league could bring in more money?

12 minutes ago, Old guy said:

I don't think that is the way they would look at it.

While I really can not argue with your overall position in both of your posts I would raise this question - if we are as successful as we hope won't we always be in this position of leaving money on the table whenever we may leave the conference.  I would think that if the school could show that within a 3 year period that they could recoup the money plus more the admin might be able to stomach it.  Isn't their projections based on 10 years so they at least have some kind of long term mind set.  That being said, I could see them struggling with the decision as you point out.

A question I have for anybody is since the A10 only takes 25% of the tourney money and lets the school keep 75% if a school leaves do they get to take the 75% with them?

The way I understand it, A10 credits the school with having earned the full 75% (or whatever percentage it is) of the tourney's money but pays the money in installments over a period of years. If the school leaves the A10 any as yet unpaid money is retained by A10. I may be wrong in this regard.

The point you make about always been bound financially to A10 by any as yet unpaid amounts still retained by A10 at the time of leaving is a correct one. However, the issue here is not really what A10 does or does not do or how much money it is going to cost SLU to transfer. The real issue is that when you are laying off employees and possibly faculty, plus possibly eliminating  academic programs, in order to regain financial stability, you cannot assume the burden of leaving a significant amount of money already earned but not yet paid, plus termination fees, on the table. I would think SLU is just not in good enough financial shape to do this at this time. It may be different in a couple of years, but it is not reasonable to think it can happen now.

Randy Onwuasor had 43 points in a triple-overtime win over Montana State in the first round of the Big Sky Tournament. Southern Utah was only 3-15 in conference going into this one. The final score was 109-105. His 43 points were a career high and Big Sky Tournament record.

People around Cincinnati are pretty excited for NKU, making it to the Tournament for the first time in their first possible year of eligibility. They joined D-I 5 years ago.

Gonzaga looked outstanding last night.