Bills Baseball 2017 Thread

While we were all caught up in the joys of a successful senior night yesterday, the Bills baseball team downed #14 OkState (T Ford is happy) 10-7 in Stillwater. The baseball Bills are now 7-1 and one including a sweep of Notre Dame in San Antonio, and impressive wins over fellow Jesuit schools Santa Clara and Creighton. Their lone loss coming from Michigan. The Bills return home this Friday to begin a 3 game stand against Fairleigh Dickinson.

I believe the Bills are the overwhelming favorite to win the A10 once again. What is the ceiling for this team? My fiancee is from Omaha and I would love a reason to see the in-laws this summer. Can't fault me for dreaming. Any baseball insiders with any takes? 

I thought the hot squad deserved the board's attention. Go Bills! 

4 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

I believe the Bills are the overwhelming favorite to win the A10 once again. What is the ceiling for this team? My fiancee is from Omaha and I would love a reason to see the in-laws this summer. Can't fault me for dreaming. Any baseball insiders with any takes? 

Let me correct this: According to SLUBillikens.com, the Bills were selected 3rd in the preseasons coaches poll. That seems to be a departure from recent years, no? 

I thoroughly enjoyed the Pokes' lament last night, especially them calling us the "Fightin' Fords" on an OSU blog.

http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/travis-fords-curse-haunts-cowboy-baseball-team-pokes-lose-10-7/

SLU is off to a very good start.  Their problem, as always, is playing a difficult enough schedule to be considered outside of an A-10 championship.  The A-10, other than SLU has not started well but the Big East (outside of St. John's) looks to be even worse.   They will have key games against Missouri State, SEMO, and Bradley but their schedule is weak.

18 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I think one of the impressive things I read about SLU baseball is the freshmen class coming in this year is ranked 61st in the country.  Mizzou, which seems to be known for a good baseball school, was ranked 59.  

This really puts it in context. Mizzou plays in a stadium that holds 3,331 and in the SEC. Not to needlessly rip on Mizzou, but I do any time I get the chance, you haven't really seen a massive improvement in their baseball program since they joined the SEC. You would think that they would have leveraged being in the best baseball conference by now. 

Baseball Bills are officially 10-1 coming out of this weekend after a 3 game sweep of Fairleigh Dickinson. Next up is a one game stand on Wednesday against SIUE in Edwardsville. 

Good on ya Bills! Keep it up. 

7 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

When was the last time an A-10 team made it to Omaha? 

Via some quick wikipedia-ing:

The A10 was founded in 1976, since then no member of the Atlantic 10 conference has made the CWS- as members of the Atlantic 10. Three programs that were once or are now members have the A10 have made the CWS, but as previously stated, either as independents or members of other conferences:

Saint Louis: 1965 (another piece of our history that is never spoken of... SLU joined the A10 in 2005) 

UMass: 1954, 1969 (Joined the A10 at its founding.) 

Temple: 1972, 1977. (Joined the A10 in 1982)

I couldn't tell you who is the A10 team to make it furthest as a member of the conference. It goes without saying that these are dates that come from before the power in college baseball shifted to the South and to the West, a natural outcome of those programs having the ability to just plain be outside playing ball before other teams can. Look at the Big 10, a power conference in every right, it saw a 29 year gap in CWS appearances. 

Obviously, the CWS is a lofty goal, but I wouldn't put it past the ambitions of a rising star like Hendrickson. 

Also just for comparison, Mizzou made it in 1952, 1954, 1958, 1962, 1963, 1964. They won the '58 title.  

2 hours ago, majerus mojo said:

Ha wild, thanks bud 

No problem. It was a fun little dive into history. 

Its funny, its not like a mid-major can't make the CWS, but then again, schools we would call a traditional "Mid-Major," my be very baseball-centric schools, like the Cal State Fullertons and Louisiana-Lafayettes of the world. It just shows, like any other program, if you put effort into it, you could succeed, but baseball seems to be exponential in this regard.

I could be passionate about Bills baseball because I think our general success as an athletic program is tied to standing out from Mizzou and Illinois. Let's be the best in basketball, then, because we don't have football, let's be better in everything else too. 

Come Monday and the Bills are 13-2. Dropped the final game to NIU on Sunday 2-0. I am sure they would like that one back. 

Bills are back in action on Monday in Indianapolis against Butler on Friday due to a Tuesday tilt against MoState getting cancelled due to weather. 

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, prebilliken said:
18 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Come Monday and the Bills are 13-2. Dropped the final game to NIU on Sunday 2-0. I am sure they would like that one back. 

Bills are back in action on Monday in Indianapolis against Butler on Friday due to a Tuesday tilt against MoState getting cancelled due to weather. 

I was looking forward to the MoState game, bummed it was cancelled.  Great start to the season for them.

On 3/13/2017 at 4:33 PM, DirtyRican said:

I was looking forward to the MoState game, bummed it was cancelled.  Great start to the season for them.

It looks like they scheduled at impromptu tilt against Western Illinois and got the win.

Bills are 14-2 heading in to the weekend series with Butler which begins today.  

SLU dropped its first series this weekend at Butler. Both games were close. SLU won the final game on Sunday. 

Baseball bills are 15-4 after this weekend. 

Bills have the week off and then they begin A10 play on Friday against the Bonnies in the Lou. 

LETS. GO. BILLS. 

1 minute ago, Bay Area Billiken said:

SLU has a very good Baseball team, should be a force in the A10 this season.  I saw the team play 3 games in Santa Clara and was very impressed.

I enjoyed your recap in whichever thread it was in. That's great to hear. I hope they tear through the A10 and get some national pub. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Bills won their first A10 series 2-1 against the Bonnies. They rise to 17-5 overall and 2-1 in A10 play. 

They play their rescheduled single game tilt against Illinois State today in Normal. The Redbirds are 6-15, hopefully the Bills take care of work. 

After that, the Bills will head to chilly (I assume) Kingston, RI to take on the Rams this weekend. The Rams are 10-10 and 3-0 in A10 play.