• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, David King said:

Next year we sweep theee thugs!

Thugs?

Also, we usually just play them once a season, so I'm not sure a 'sweep' is relevant.

I don't know if we'll beat them next year but it'll at least be a game for 40 minutes instead of 15.

3 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

We are sweet 16 bound in four years.  Mark my words.

I am hoping with the addition of Thatch and Gordon it is in two years.

1 minute ago, Pistol said:

Thugs?

Also, we usually just play them once a season, so I'm not sure a 'sweep' is relevant.

I don't know if we'll beat them next year but it'll at least be a game for 40 minutes instead of 15.

Next year will be so much different I am not sure what to expect but I hope we improve enough to have a winning season then with the addition of Gordon and Thatch that we will be dancing to the sweet 16.

FG Made-Attempted 19-50 22-59
Field Goal % 38.0 37.3
3PT Made-Attempted 4-11 3-17
Three Point % 36.4 17.6
FT Made-Attempted 8-14 17-21

Left is SLU right is VCU. So we seemed to have lost the game due to poor FT shooting as well as stupid fouls. If you were to analyze and make a guess on these stats w/o watching the game I think you could predict that you were outmatched athletically which lead to the fouls

Conceivable -----they lose Lewis, Alie-Cox, Brooks, Burgess, and Hamdy leaving Williams and Tillman. No offense but I am not impressed with Wade's recrutiing .. Williams,Tillman and Doughty are all Shaka's guys.  Crowfield was nothing special.  

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Conceivable -----they lose Lewis, Alie-Cox, Brooks, Burgess, and Hamdy leaving Williams and Tillman. No offense but I am not impressed with Wade's recrutiing .. Williams,Tillman and Doughty are all Shaka's guys.  Crowfield was nothing special.  

I thought the same thing after Wade's first class but in his defense he didn't have much time to put it together.  His recruiting since then has been remarkable.  He has a top 50 freshman out with an injury and  two more top 100 players coming in next year. 

29 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Gotta correct the misinformation here. There is a good chance Hamdy is granted his third year, and will play next season.

Doughty was never a Smart recruit, and never was on Smart's radar. Doughty was committed to St. John's until Smart left VCU and Mullin was hired at St. John's. Then Wade recruited Doughty.

Crowfield was recruited strictly as a 3-point shooter, and he pretty much came up clutch at SBU and at UR with timely 3's.

Our best freshman, 6' 6" 4-star SF De'Riante Jenkins has been out hurt since the first conference game. He was thought to return tonight, but now probably won't until the Dayton game. He is a beast and a sole Wade recruit.

Next year, we have the #1 point guard in NC, Lavar Batts Jr. coming. He's a bigger, more balanced, better version of JeQuan Lewis, and a sole Wade recruit.

Mo Alie-Cox's replacement, Marcus Santos-Silva, is also coming. He's 6' 7" 250 lbs, and built like a tank already.

I won't get into 6' 9" 4-star point forward Sean Mobley, or 6' 10" 4-star PF Mayan Kiir (a potential Larry Sanders-type of player), also coming next year. I honestly think Wade is doing a phenomenal job on the recruiting front, and VCU has the potential to be much better next season, while most folks think we're in for a down year. I feel like THIS season is our down season, and Wade is doing a heck of a job with less. Don't forget Smart's entire last recruiting class left VCU when he did. Tevin Mack, who followed Smart to Texas, is now suspended indefinitely.

To the poster who called VCU "thugs", GFY you racist prick. I highly doubt you'd say that without a keyboard in front of you.

I'm done here, see you all next year, loved the effort from your team tonight.

lquarles ---- thank you for the thoughtful rebuttal and insights.  All I'm saying is we shall see.  Same goes for our 4-star and various 3-point-something recruits.  There have been many instances where the actual output fell well below the starred expectations -- in many programs.  I won't name names and choose to leave it at that. 

I look forward to the annual battles between us, you guys and Dayton as the years progress.

As for last night, yes we had good effort and great going early but as usual talent and exhaustion took over.  I like Johnnie WIlliams a lot.  He can't shoot much from distance but his penetration last night was wicked.  I have watched VCU on multiple occasions this year and while some might say that was his best game of the year, interesting how it happens against the defense attributed to our guards (not Roby who seemed to be on Lewis more times than not).  Williams made Moore look like a statue on at least two occasions.  While it was decent to the point of not embarrassing, Welmer missed a dunk, Roby missed a dunk, Crawford was a no-show, Agbeko bricked five of six freebies, and Hines must've wanted to be on SportsCenter multiple times for his drives with Cox lurking in the lane.  Johnson was the only real shining light out there and seeing that he could stay with Tillman gives more added cred to his promise.

Bring on the Joeys.

9 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

SLU played a walk on for 40 minutes.  So your walk on guy was 28 minutes short.

+1 great point and I will add that our subs next season started.

11 hours ago, lquarles said:

Gotta correct the misinformation here. There is a good chance Hamdy is granted his third year, and will play next season.

Doughty was never a Smart recruit, and never was on Smart's radar. Doughty was committed to St. John's until Smart left VCU and Mullin was hired at St. John's. Then Wade recruited Doughty.

Crowfield was recruited strictly as a 3-point shooter, and he pretty much came up clutch at SBU and at UR with timely 3's.

Our best freshman, 6' 6" 4-star SF De'Riante Jenkins has been out hurt since the first conference game. He was thought to return tonight, but now probably won't until the Dayton game. He is a beast and a sole Wade recruit.

Next year, we have the #1 point guard in NC, Lavar Batts Jr. coming. He's a bigger, more balanced, better version of JeQuan Lewis, and a sole Wade recruit.

Mo Alie-Cox's replacement, Marcus Santos-Silva, is also coming. He's 6' 7" 250 lbs, and built like a tank already.

I won't get into 6' 9" 4-star point forward Sean Mobley, or 6' 10" 4-star PF Mayan Kiir (a potential Larry Sanders-type of player), also coming next year. I honestly think Wade is doing a phenomenal job on the recruiting front, and VCU has the potential to be much better next season, while most folks think we're in for a down year. I feel like THIS season is our down season, and Wade is doing a heck of a job with less. Don't forget Smart's entire last recruiting class left VCU when he did. Tevin Mack, who followed Smart to Texas, is now suspended indefinitely.

To the poster who called VCU "thugs", GFY you racist prick. I highly doubt you'd say that without a keyboard in front of you.

I'm done here, see you all next year, loved the effort from your team tonight.

The posters that called your players thugs is wrong as is your underlined statement.

I love playing VCU and I want the Billiken program to mimic the success of VCU.  Tillman and Williams are my favorite VCU players those two play so hard. 

I agree that this is the down year for VCU based on your post and it will be real interesting next year when our Billikens have some players that will be able to compete with your team.

Good Luck to VCU in the Big Dance.