A10 Games 2/22 & 2/23

Taj79

Nothing surprised me last night ..... Dayton and Richmond handled the home fires well and put away Mason and Davidson.  The only hiccup I saw was the ease by which Rhodey handled La Salle at Gola.  La Salle is such a strange team.  How they are over .500 I don't know.  They don't seem to play much defense and they are a bunch of individuals starting with the fact they've all pretty much transferred in from elsewhere.  Just odd.

Tonight's games only have implications as deck chairs on the Titanic -- the PIG participants.  I expect us to lose in no contest at VCU.  I can't see anywhere where this becomes a game.  So we drop to 4 and 11.  Fordham is at Duquesne and as noted, Duquesne has already won at Fordham.  A Dookies win would not be surprising and it does little except scramble the PIG up some as they will move to 4 and 11 with a win and tie us.  But we have the tie-breaker as, with a split in the regular season, we have beaten higher ranked Mason while all the Dukes would have is Fordham.  So with a win, Duquesne becomes #12 to our #11.

The Bonnies are at St. Joe and the Bonnies can still see a top four finish and a double bye in Pittsburgh.  But they have to literally win out.  They can do that provided they win tonight and then next week at Davidson.  So motivation and opportunity are there --- but they need help.  The Joeys are quickly fading to last place what with their injuries.  But they have played gritty the last two and could give the Bonnies fits on Hawk Hill.  If the Joeys would win, they too would move to 4 and 11 and the rankings in the PIG bracket get scrambled because both us and Duquesne have yet to play the Joeys.  Again, stay tuned. 

Finally, on Thursday, Umass goes to Foggy Bottom.  A Umass win (doubtful at best) puts all of us in the PIG bracket to 4 and 11 and we have no clue who goes where until the final Saturday is done.

Expectations:  VCU, Duquesne, the Bonnies and GeeDubya win.  I love this time of year!  Tick, tick, tick ........

I agree with you Taj this will not be a game at all and I expect a lot of turnovers, but I will watch and listen to Bob and Earl.

Tick, Tick, Tick..... to the end of the coach buzz kill Crews mess.

This will be a fun offseason to talk about Billiken Basketball.

ESPN spreads to tonight, Duquesne giving one to Fordham at the Palumbo Duct Exhibition Center, the Joey's getting gfive on Hawk Hill against the visiting Bonnies, and VCU spotting the bettors 20 from Siegel.  The Wiz is giving us 22. 

Going to be interesting in regards to our turnovers -- this is not your father Shaka's "Havoc."  Here on the East Coast, ASN is Channel 220 and ready to go at 7:00 pm.

Wrap-up:  Fordham took out the Dookies at the Duct Center 70 to 52.  It was never really close, Duqesne never challenged.  And Fordham was still as shorthanded as they were against us last Saturday.  No Chartouny.  Duquesne missed 11 free throws and shot 2-for-14 from three. 

The Bonnies got up by nine, fell behind briefly in the second by a point or so, took another seven point lead and then traded points to close with the Joeys before winning by six.  And we did out deal.

Tonight, Umass (+4.5) is at Geedubya as this will take all teams to three games remaining in the regular season.  I foresee a Colonial win.

As expected, nothing really happened in the A10 posture given these games.  If Umass loses tonight as I think they will, then us beating the Joeys on Saturday will allow us to almost wrap up the chant "We're #11!  We're #11!"

I'm not sure even a GW loss tonight changes the fact that the bottom four have pretty much been cemented in place. GW would still have a 1-game advantage on UMass with 2 games to play.

So the question becomes who we'd most want to see in the First Four round of the A10 tournament - Duquesne for the rubber match, St. Joe's for a second time (we'll know more about them on Saturday), or UMass again.

Oh no, Pistol, the PIG participants are a lock.  Its the seating/seeding arrangements, that's all. 

I don't care to play Duquesne because I don't wan tto hear how Mike Lewis is from St. Louis.  I will reserve judgment on the Joey's until Saturday.  Umass ahs some athletes but maybe the Kellogg factor swings that our way.  Umass then?

I know we can have a preference as to who we play in the A10 tournament 1st round, but I do not think we will have any choice. Likely the bottom ranked team will play the top ranked team among the 4 in the first round and the remaining two will play against one another. I think we will land towards the middle of this spread, and so we will be likely to play the other mid ranked team (among the bottom 4 teams), whoever that turns out to be. I do not think that will be UMass, so we are likely to play either St. Joes or Duquesne. 

Close out:  Geedubya held serve and beat Umass last night pulling away down the stretch for an 83 to 67 win. Patrick Steeves and Jordan Roland aided the GWU Tyler Cavanaughs with 26 and 15 respectively.  Stevees and Roland?  I think Steeves is somewhat stiff and Roland average 6.7 ppg up until last night.

RESULT: the bottom three are locked into the PG.  It will be Duquesne, Umass and the Joeys for sure.  We are statistically locked in as well given we have four wins and the three teams above us have 7 and all have the head-to-head advantage even if we win out.  A win against the Joeys SHOUDL lock us into #11.  Deck chairs with the clock still ticking .........

I think we may be able to beat LaSalle next Tuesday, but I do not think SLU  will be able to beat Richmond. It is likely that we are a lock for the 11th seed in the A10 tournament. This is not a terrible fate given our very limited potential for this season. If we get the 11th seed we are likely to play Duquesne the 1st day of the A10 tournament. This gives us two additional possible wins before we are likely eliminated the second day of the tournament. 

If we do get the two additional wins this will give us a 12 win record for the season which is higher than most of us ever expected we had any chance to get for this year. We are really doing a lot better than most analysis projected us to do this season. We owe the team and Coach Ford plus his staff a debt of admiration and gratitude for having achieved well over expectations for this year. Congratulations for all the work, the hard effort, and the team spirit you all forged these last couple of months.   

As of today, with all of the atlantic 10 teams having 2 games yet to play in the regular season, we would be the 11 seed playing Duquesne. Beat Duquesne, and we play George Washington. Should this stay the same, I think we could actually beat GW and make the quarterfinals against the 3 seed, how about you guys?

When evaluating the upcoming tourney, keep in mind that the games will be at PPG Arena in Pittsburgh. The Arena is 2 blocks from the Palumbo Center where the Dukes play their home games.  While this will be listed as a neutral site, the Dukes likely will walk to the game, just as they do for any home game. 

34 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

When evaluating the upcoming tourney, keep in mind that the games will be at PPG Arena in Pittsburgh. The Arena is 2 blocks from the Palumbo Center where the Dukes play their home games.  While this will be listed as a neutral site, the Dukes likely will walk to the game, just as they do for any home game. 

The last game of the Dukes season is at home against Saint Joes. I guess that we hope that Duquesne wins so we play a depleted, injured, struggling Saint Joes team and not a well rested Duquesne team?

Remaining schedules:

11. SLU: vs. LAS, @RICH

12. UMass: vs. RICH, @STB

13. SJU: vs. URI, @DUQ

14. DUQ: @GMU, vs. SJU

I don't think UMass wins another game. Even if SLU loses both, we should hang on to the 11-seed. St. Joe's isn't going to beat Rhode Island, and the tie for last place will be broken in the last game between Duquesne and St. Joe's, which the Dukes host. So essentially, we're probably playing the loser of that game. St. Joe's again?