A10 Games 2/21

Taj79

With four games to go, the belly-up-to-the-bar moves are expected across the A10 as we move to the conference tourney in Pittsburgh.  The fine tuning is evident across the standings.  VCU and Dayton are tied at the top and I think that will be decided when they meet in Dayton next Wednesday night (3/01).  Dayton must not stumble at Davidson between then and now.

VCU has to go to Rhode Island before Dayton and that game will be key.  If VCU loses that one but beats Dayton on 3/01, VCU gets the title based on head-to-head.  I think the top two slots are locked in for the most part. 

Slots three through seven are a catfight.  Rhode and Richmond are 9 and 5 (Richmond has the head-to-head) and Mason, the Bonnies and La Salle are all 8 and 6.  None of the three 86ers are playing either of the 95s except La Salle which hosts Rhodey tonight.  Slots 8, 9 and 10 will go to some order of Davidson, Fordham and Geedubya.  The bottom four will be us, Umass, Duquesne and the Joeys.  Who goes where is just too hard to tell.

Some nice viewing tonight as Rhodey and La Salle ar eon CBSSN from the Mausoleum at 6 Eastern/5 Central.  Followign that Davidson invades Richmond at 8/7; Richmond cannot afford the stumble. On Wednesday, Fordham is at Duquesne who has beaten them once already.  All that one means is ordering the PIG games at best.  At 7/6, the Bonnies are on Hawk Hill with the Joey's.  The Bonnies need it a whole lot more than the Joeys.  But it's a weird league.  Finally, on Thursday, Umass goes to Foggy Bottom.  Again, who knows. 

The annual watch of this killer dog race is enlightening, to say the least.  How is BillsBeliever standings holding up in that other thread?

Nice summary of the A10 Taj appreciate your thoughts.

Mason has to be kicking itself with 2 losses to the Billikens they would be 10-4 if they took care of business.

The A10 appears to be a two team NCAA bid I wonder if someone other than VCU or Dayton wins the A10 tournament are VCU and Dayton a lock?

15 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Nice summary of the A10 Taj appreciate your thoughts.

Mason has to be kicking itself with 2 losses to the Billikens they would be 10-4 if they took care of business.

The A10 appears to be a two team NCAA bid I wonder if someone other than VCU or Dayton wins the A10 tournament are VCU and Dayton a lock?

The Bracket Matrix, which now summarizes 113 brackets, has both VCU and DU as 8th seeds.  It would seem that they could suffer a loss and still survive.  Rhody is in the 'next four out', but only on 8 of the 113 brackets.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

12 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

The Bracket Matrix, which now summarizes 113 brackets, has both VCU and DU as 8th seeds.  It would seem that they could suffer a loss and still survive.  Rhody is in the 'next four out', but only on 8 of the 113 brackets.

http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Thank you HoosierPal

-taking a quick look at Rhodey and I am trying to overlook my thoughts on Hurley to find a way for the league to get another bid, but I have them 1-4 vs top 50 (beat cinn, lost to dayton 2, duke, houston) and 3-2 vs 51-100 (beat belmont, bonny, david, lost to valpo and prov), I think their only path is win the A10 tourney, would like to know what those thinking they have a chance are seeing or perhaps the bubble is that weak

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

-taking a quick look at Rhodey and I am trying to overlook my thoughts on Hurley to find a way for the league to get another bid, but I have them 1-4 vs top 50 (beat cinn, lost to dayton 2, duke, houston) and 3-2 vs 51-100 (beat belmont, bonny, david, lost to valpo and prov), I think their only path is win the A10 tourney, would like to know what those thinking they have a chance are seeing or perhaps the bubble is that weak

No biggie, but I think Houston has fallen outside the Top 50, making that loss a little worse.  But their loss to Fordham was a killer. Still, with an RPI of 52, they aren't totally out of the conversation.  Beat VCU and make it to the final of the A10 tourney, they are in play.  I don't know if the bubble is 'weak' but there are a lot of mediocre teams on it.  There could be several 13 loss teams that make the dance.  [I don't believe a 15 loss team has ever been invited at large.] 

I think Dayton and VCU are locks right now.  The only way I see another A10 team is the autobid to someone other than those two.  Rhodey MUST beat VCU in Kingston to even break wind into that bubble. CBSSN had them as last four in.  I don't see that right now.

Here is my take on this....

First there are no locks at this point....the closest to a lock is Dayton....I have Dayton by 4 over VCU...if that happens ...Dayton is a lock...A 4 pt game is only a small edge  though ...so it is far from being decided

Then there is the RI vs VCU with  RI by 2....if that happens ...then it will be decided by the winner of the RI VCU game in the A-10 tourney.....If they face each other in the championship game all 3 could get in.... If they don't face one another  ...it will be whoever gets the farthest in the tourney who winds up Dancing..

But again there are no locks and no easy games...You could have a Davidson knock off Dayton  and it wouldn't be a big surprise....Dayton is favored by 2....so things are still wide open...lots of possibilities.

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

No biggie, but I think Houston has fallen outside the Top 50, making that loss a little worse.  B

Here's my take on this-

We either get 1, 2, or 3 teams in. No more.

Dayton and VCU are near locks. As long as Dayton and VCU avoid upsets, only lose to each other in the regular season, and win at least 1 game in the tournament, they SHOULD make it.

If Rhode Island beats VCU, and then wins the A10 tournament OR gets second in the A10 tournament and beat either Dayton or VCU while avoiding any losses until that championship game, they should be in.

Dayton: 8 seed

VCU: 8 seed

Rhodey: 10 seed if the make it

15 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

No biggie, but I think Houston has fallen outside the Top 50, making that loss a little worse.  But their loss to Fordham was a killer. Still, with an RPI of 52, they aren't totally out of the conversation.  Beat VCU and make it to the final of the A10 tourney, they are in play.  I don't know if the bubble is 'weak' but there are a lot of mediocre teams on it.  There could be several 13 loss teams that make the dance.  [I don't believe a 15 loss team has ever been invited at large.] 

-I used KenPom and Houston is #40

-we are a long way from #122....next season

On 2/21/2017 at 9:26 PM, The Wiz said:

Here is my take on this....

First there are no locks at this point....the closest to a lock is Dayton....I have Dayton by 4 over VCU...if that happens ...Dayton is a lock...A 4 pt game is only a small edge  though ...so it is far from being decided

Then there is the RI vs VCU with  RI by 2....if that happens ...then it will be decided by the winner of the RI VCU game in the A-10 tourney.....If they face each other in the championship game all 3 could get in.... If they don't face one another  ...it will be whoever gets the farthest in the tourney who winds up Dancing..

But again there are no locks and no easy games...You could have a Davidson knock off Dayton  and it wouldn't be a big surprise....Dayton is favored by 2....so things are still wide open...lots of possibilities.

URI has 48 rpi. A win over VCU would be big. I am rooting for VCU - hate Hurley and don't want to see him in the Dance - ever.

Why in the world is everybody saying the Syracuse is now in the Tourney after beating Duke? Their rpi moved up to #78. They have a 17-12 record. No way do they deserve to get in unless they can get a few more big wins.

Syracuse was in the tourney per Lunardi before this win.  Now he has them a ten seed.  He has two A10s (both 8 seeds) in Dayton and VCU.  Rhode Island is now where on the list, not even in his First Four Out or Next Four Out.  Now its Lunardi but I only use him because he is A10 after all.  Syracuse is his seventh of ten ACC teams in .. he goes as low as Georgia Tech, number 10 in the ACC with a putrid 16 - 12 mark.  He also has Michigan State in as a 10 seed with a 16 - 11 mark. 

So go figure ... as always .....

-bracketmatrix is a good place to look these days, of the 115 bracketologists they follow only 12 have URI in which projects to part of Next Four Out and Syracuse is in from 58 and a projected 11 seed with as high as a 9 seed -- bracketmatrix was updated this morning but I can't believe all brackets were updated

8 hours ago, ACE said:

URI has 48 rpi. A win over VCU would be big. I am rooting for VCU - hate Hurley and don't want to see him in the Dance - ever.

Why in the world is everybody saying the Syracuse is now in the Tourney after beating Duke? Their rpi moved up to #78. They have a 17-12 record. No way do they deserve to get in unless they can get a few more big wins.

I have Syr as an A team right now which means they are Dancing.  Even so they are not a lock. The ACC ( A+ ) is so tough that they could lose the rest of their games and be knocked out. The ACC tournament will be much more of a challenge than the Big Dance.