OT: NC State

-I didn't realize Debby Yow as the AD at NCST

-going from memory I can't recall a situation being public like this where the coach and world are told 3 weeks before the end of the season the coach will not return, are there incidents I am not remembering? is this a big change in how the coaching change process will run from now on?

-I looked at Verbal Commits and NCST only has one LOI from a SG, not sure we want to steal him, I'll wait for Tilmon

19 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I looked at Verbal Commits and NCST only has one LOI from a SG, not sure we want to steal him, I'll wait for Tilmon

Thomas Allen. Ford recruited him pretty heavily. The kid took an unofficial and an official visit to SLU. I think many here would have been happy to see him commit to SLU. Nevertheless, he committed to NC St., and we got Hasahn French not too long after. Once we got French, I had kind of forgotten about him. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to taking another run at him if he were to want to get out of his LOI (apparently he has said he's still committed), but maybe Ty Graves plays the same role, and we might need a big more.

3 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

I hope we get him. Also there seems to be a 5* PG they have as well but I doubt we're trying to get another transfer. I think we might have another purge on the team if Groce recruits get released though 

Are you talking about Dennis Smith, Jr.? Because he's a one-and-done and probably a top 5 pick, so he's definitely not transferring. 

26 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Thomas Allen. Ford recruited him pretty heavily. The kid took an unofficial and an official visit to SLU. I think many here would have been happy to see him commit to SLU. Nevertheless, he committed to NC St., and we got Hasahn French not too long after. Once we got French, I had kind of forgotten about him. Still, I wouldn't be opposed to taking another run at him if he were to want to get out of his LOI (apparently he has said he's still committed), but maybe Ty Graves plays the same role, and we might need a big more.

This kid was billed as one of the best shooters in the country, and I believe had prior connections to one of our assistants. Would be a huge get and compliment to our roster ??

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

http://deadspin.com/n-c-state-announces-it-will-fire-mark-gottfried-just-1792449596

anyone wanna suggest our victory over them in Orlando signaled the beginning of Gottfried's downward spiral? 

Getting pantsed by Jim Crews coaching basketball is like getting sprayed by a skunk. And no tomato bath is getting that stench off. It smells like moth balls and dried piss. 

10 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Hehe. I still remember being a 5 seed when they a 12 seed were whooping us, and we somehow came back and won. Boy I miss that team...

The greatest game Dim Crews never coached. I think it was the players who decided to press even though a press was never part of Dim's practice venue. What coach wouldn't dedicate some time to practicing a press?

18 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

http://deadspin.com/n-c-state-announces-it-will-fire-mark-gottfried-just-1792449596

anyone wanna suggest our victory over them in Orlando signaled the beginning of Gottfried's downward spiral? 

It's a good thought but they did make the Sweet 16 the year after that loss so it's hard to say we set it in motion.

3 hours ago, slu72 said:

The greatest game Dim Crews never coached. I think it was the players who decided to press even though a press was never part of Dim's practice venue. What coach wouldn't dedicate some time to practicing a press?

You mean other than Majerus? If he had been around, I'm guessing we never would have been down 16 in the first place. So I think the lack of a press was the least of Crews' problems as a coach.

We even ran after Gottfried after Spoon left.

His record at State is pretty good. 2 Sweet 16s & couple of early exits in the NCAAs in 5 years (didn't count this year). He could be an attractive hire at a middle of the pack BCS school.

Unless State has someone already lined-up, like an Archie Miller, I think they are crazy for canning him.

7 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

We even ran after Gottfried after Spoon left.

His record at State is pretty good. 2 Sweet 16s & couple of early exits in the NCAAs in 5 years (didn't count this year). He could be an attractive hire at a middle of the pack BCS school.

Unless State has someone already lined-up, like an Archie Miller, I think they are crazy for canning him.

Davidson is the third best basketball program in North Carolina anyway.

I'm sure the Napoleonic Complex that dwarfs the NC State program is petrified that Danny Manning is slowly but surely Making Wake Great Again and Duke and UNC, are, well, Duke and UNC.

41 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Tarheel firings of high level personnel may have little to do with performance even though the official notices generally refer to low perrformance.

Old guy, you may be right. I do know a lot State grads. Worked & played a lot of golf with them as they made up the bulk of the engineering staff at 2 hospitals I worked at in No Carolina. I can safely say they have a inflated view of themselves. They think they should get the next Jimmy V. and regularly beat Chapel Hill and Duke. They hate Chapel Hill with a passion and Duke, well Duke, everybody hates them. Duke probably has more students from New Jersey then the Carolinas. 

Bobby, not sure on Davidson being number 3 in Carolina. All my years living in North Carolina, I don't think I ever met a rabid Davidson fan. Davidson recently just came to the A10 from the SoCon. Not a conference that receives a lot press or you see on TV. Everyone respects and admires McKillop & they had Curry years but not like the ACC schools. Watching the ACC match-ups on TV is a big deal here (not quite the level of SEC football but close). Most Davidson students come from the Charlotte or Raleigh high price/high end prep schools.    

2 minutes ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Old guy, you may be right. I do know a lot State grads. Worked & played a lot of golf with a lot them as they made up the bulk of the engineering staff at 2 hospitals I worked at in No Carolina. I can safely say they have a inflated view of themselves. They think they should get the next Jimmy V. and regularly beat Chapel Hill and Duke. They hate Chapel Hill with a passion and Duke, well Duke, everybody hates them. Duke probably has more students from New Jersey then the Carolinas. 

Bobby, not sure on Davidson being number 3 in Carolina. All my years living in North Carolina, I don't think I ever met a rabid Davidson fan. Davidson recently just came to the A10 from the SoCon. Not a conference that receives a lot press or you see on TV. Everyone respects and admires McKillop & they had Curry years but not like the ACC schools. Watching the ACC match-ups on TV is a big deal here (not quite the level of SEC football but close). Most Davidson students come from the Charlotte or Raleigh high price/high end prep schools.    

I kind of said that facetiously, my apologies. I know Davidson hasn't cut 'em down like NC State did in '83; even Billy Packer U can lay claim to a Final Four appearance. I'm in the Charlotte area (Kings Mountain, NC specifically) for work a bit and can see the draw that the Lake Norman/Davidson area has! Very lovely part of the country.