Big East

kshoe

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it is just talking.  I did read this on si.com after the big 12 decided against expansion in October talking about UConn and the big east.

UConn: There’s been a popular media theory floated that UConn could explore moving to the Big East in basketball and then move football somewhere else. That’s highly unlikely, as the $10 million and 27-month wait that’s required to leave the AAC is virtually untenable. (Cutting back the 27-month window would cost more money.) UConn would have paid it knowing there was a Power Five payday on the other end, as it would have made the money back quickly. That wouldn’t be the case going to the Big East. 

Barring some change, I think the Big East ship has sailed. All along, our biggest selling point was that we're in a larger TV market than some other possible entrants. The problem there is that since 2013, when the current iteration of the BE started, the landscape of TV has changed. Providers are losing subscribers by the bunches, and the traditional model of the cable bundle is being challenged by cord cutting and live streaming. I don't think anyone truly knows how this will affect sports TV deals. Until they know, a conference may be hesitant to add schools, which divide revenue further, without the guarantee that it will bring more money into the pot.

On a semi-related note, the A-10 has been proactive in broadcasting some games on Facebook Live.

18 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

Barring some change, I think the Big East ship has sailed. All along, our biggest selling point was that we're in a larger TV market than some other possible entrants. The problem there is that since 2013, when the current iteration of the BE started, the landscape of TV has changed. Providers are losing subscribers by the bunches, and the traditional model of the cable bundle is being challenged by cord cutting and live streaming. I don't think anyone truly knows how this will affect sports TV deals. Until they know, a conference may be hesitant to add schools, which divide revenue further, without the guarantee that it will bring more money into the pot.

On a semi-related note, the A-10 has been proactive in broadcasting some games on Facebook Live.

This is an excellent point. The temptation of adding new TV markets has lessened. That was a big factor for us.

There's another factor: The Big East as it stands right now is pretty awesome. I love a good 10-team conference. 18 games, 9 opponents, 1 home-and-home series apiece. It's so clean. It also helps when the conference is really strong, yet again. Yes, I'd absolutely be willing to tarnish what a great conference it is if it meant adding SLU to the mix, but I know that Big East fans really love what it is right now.

I just looked it up because I couldn't remember and it looks like the TV contract the Big East signed was for 12 years 500 million and would go up to 600 million if it expanded to 12 teams.  Not sure how that impacts if they only plan to expand to 11 teams.  

And I do agree it's a long shot now but St. Louis does also fit the profile of the schools as well as helps add a school closer to Creighton in the west to go along with the brand new larger TV market.  

35 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

I just looked it up because I couldn't remember and it looks like the TV contract the Big East signed was for 12 years 500 million and would go up to 600 million if it expanded to 12 teams.  Not sure how that impacts if they only plan to expand to 11 teams.  

And I do agree it's a long shot now but St. Louis does also fit the profile of the schools as well as helps add a school closer to Creighton in the west to go along with the brand new larger TV market.  

St. Louis is fairly well wired into Fox Sports with the station broadcasting the Cards.  As several have pointed out, new subscribers due to a league expansion team is a pipe dream.  So the main way Fox Sports would garner new money is to look at markets where they have a strong subscriber presence already, but one that isn't tuned into Big East basketball.  FS1 typically gets hammered by ESPN basketball games.  I don't know what their projections are, but behind conference room doors, my guess is that Fox executives are concerned.  Are they concerned to the tune of adding another $100 million to their bill?  No idea.

15 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

F it.  Give me the A10, Facebook Live, sled dog trips to Olean, and a chance to win the conference every year.

Peoria Charter Coach has faxed both Doug Elgin and Chris May a copy of its driver's records. Not a DUI in sight...#MVCnotDUI

:)

1 hour ago, Bills_06 said:

You surely realize that a 12 year contract for 500 million can be changed or terminated IF the underlying assumptions turn out to be wrong. We all know that cable services are losing ground to streaming. The contract with Fox Sports is dependent upon certain assumptions about viewership of the cable channels. If these assumptions turn out to be wrong, Fox Sports may decide to take the loss required to terminate the contract. Nothing is ever written in stone.

2 hours ago, Box and Won said:

F it.  Give me the A10, Facebook Live, sled dog trips to Olean, and a chance to win the conference every year.

Great!

A-10 quite visible on the tube. Best thing about it imo. If I wasn't a fan of a team in it but just CBB fan in general I'd enjoy the league. Lot's of history, notable coaches.

10 minutes ago, almaman said:

Great!

A-10 quite visible on the tube. Best thing about it imo. If I wasn't a fan of a team in it but just CBB fan in general I'd enjoy the league. Lot's of history, notable coaches.

I agree with this. I think NBC sports puts out a great product with the Premier League, NHL, Olympics and with the A-10. The picture clarity, presentation and general look and feel of the broadcasts is on par if not better than any other sports network 

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I agree with this. I think NBC sports puts out a great product with the Premier League, NHL, Olympics and with the A-10. The picture clarity, presentation and general look and feel of the broadcasts is on par if not better than any other sports network 

I also agree. NBC Sports on cable used to be pretty unimpressive, but when they took over the rights to the Premier League, the level of that broadcasting product increased significantly, and that's something considering that the prior rights holder was a channel devoted solely to soccer. I've noticed a trickle down effect with their other presentations.

6 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

The $100 expansion clause is what I remember when thinking about the conference contract. Given the ratings, I think it's pretty apparent that Fox got hosed on the deal and that the Big East is poised for a pretty precipitous drop in revenue after this contract expires. I think that will motivate them to expand, and adding the St. Louis market gives them an enhanced bargaining position...in 2025.

Fox also signed a deal with the Big Ten to carry football and basketball games to the tune of $250 million per year. This encroaches on Big East territory and B10 basketball games will certainly attract more eyeballs than BEast games.

I've always thought that Athletic Dept budgets might drive the BE to expand. When you look at the non revenue sports and see Creighton out there in no man's land you'd think it would make sense they add another Midwest team or two and go to a two division set up solely to reduce expenses for other sports. Still, even if they do expand SLU's no shoo in especially if we have to go head to head w/ Dayton. Dayton's got us beat from just about every metric they would assess; winning tradition, NCAA appearances, fan base, etc. The only advantages we have over them is market size, we're far removed from XU, and closer to DePaul, MU, and Creighton.

II wouldn't say the BE ship has sailed because the overall economics of college athletics will eventually rule the day. But for us to capitalize on any opportunity they might present, we'd better get our basketball ship in seaworthy shape. Right now they can't be overly impressed by what they've seen from us over the past three seasons vs a Dayton, Richmond, or VCU.  

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

I've always thought that Athletic Dept budgets might drive the BE to expand. When you look at the non revenue sports and see Creighton out there in no man's land you'd think it would make sense they add another Midwest team or two and go to a two division set up solely to reduce expenses for other sports. Still, even if they do expand SLU's no shoo in especially if we have to go head to head w/ Dayton. Dayton's got us beat from just about every metric they would assess; winning tradition, NCAA appearances, fan base, etc. The only advantages we have over them is market size, we're far removed from XU, and closer to DePaul, MU, and Creighton.

II wouldn't say the BE ship has sailed because the overall economics of college athletics will eventually rule the day. But for us to capitalize on any opportunity they might present, we'd better get our basketball ship in seaworthy shape. Right now they can't be overly impressed by what they've seen from us over the past three seasons vs a Dayton, Richmond, or VCU.  

Juck Fim Crews

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Another factor is that UConn has spent big money to try to upgrade their football program.  I know it has not panned out that way but I am not sure they are ready to scrap the plan just yet. I have  a friend who is a big UConn supporter and he talks often of the need for the football program to get better so they have a big 2 revenue coming in.  Finding a conf for their football team only would be the death of their football program.  I also just saw that the NFL has invited more players to the Combine from the AAC then the Big 12 so that conf is not the worst place to be. 

Dayton has a big problem as far as the BE goes - location.  You hit upon  it but I am not sure you gave it as much credence as it deserves.  Dayton adds nothing to the media package.  I do agree that we have to get our act together if we have any hope.

Gross. Staying in the A10 would be awful. 

Every member of the Bills Athletic Department, their coaches, and admin should aspire to the Big East, more money for the school. Any other logic is out of control silly. 

Even if the "ship has sail" we should be ready when it comes back to port, if it ever does. It is a DOMINANT basketball conference of non-football playing institutions. Why in Godalmightys name would we not want to be in it? 

23 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Even if the "ship has sail" we should be ready when it comes back to port, if it ever does. It is a DOMINANT basketball conference of non-football playing institutions. Why in Godalmightys name would we not want to be in it? 

Because if the recruiting stays the course we can almost garuntee bids to the tourney and winning the conference each year

47 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

Gross. Staying in the A10 would be awful. 

Every member of the Bills Athletic Department, their coaches, and admin should aspire to the Big East, more money for the school. Any other logic is out of control silly. 

Because don't rock the boat is the name of the game with the AD.