Big East

kshoe

I wouldn't have any public schools in the conference.   unfair advantage especially for the non-revenue sports.  I believe the idea conference for slu has the most like minded private schools with similar enrollments that would be reasonably geographically located.    assuming the mythical mid-west papal conference never happens, we take what we can get, but don't start bringing in more of the public schools just because currently they have a good coach that has them on an all time high run for basketball. 

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, cgeldmacher said:

I hope Chris May is being proactive about this AAC thing.  I'm fine with staying in the A-10 as it currently is.  But, if Dayton and VCU leave, we need to go to.  The worst case scenario is that Dayton, VCU, and Wichita State go to the AAC and we don't.  Suddenly, we would be stuck in a depleted A-10 that is full of east coast teams, the nearest of which would be Duquesne in Pittsburgh.

It sounds like the wheels are already turning on this.  We can't come late to this party if there's a shot at us going in with these other schools.

Hilarious

41 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Why does anyone think a Big East invite will ever come?

As you so eloquently elucidated earlier in this thread, the landscape of on-demand sports media is shifting rapidly. I believe that the days of giant 'block' television contracts are over, and that, given their Fox ratings, the Big East will attempt to expand to 'lock in' another $100 million by adding 2 additional teams. Will we be a part of that expansion? Who knows...but I think we have as good a shot as any. 

9 minutes ago, Bizziken said:

As you so eloquently elucidated earlier in this thread, the landscape of on-demand sports media is shifting rapidly. I believe that the days of giant 'block' television contracts are over, and that, given their Fox ratings, the Big East will attempt to expand to 'lock in' another $100 million by adding 2 additional teams. Will we be a part of that expansion? Who knows...but I think we have as good a shot as any. 

I hope you are right.  I am just not going to get my hopes up for the Big East anymore.  My personal opinion is that the athletic department should operate under the assumption that a Big East invite is never going to come. 

2 hours ago, bonwich said:

Oh, please God. I don't ask You for much. Please let Kostas Antetokounmpo play at Chaifetz. ;) 

The only thing better would be if he came to SLU and played 1/2 his games at the Fetz.  It might be enough for an old washed-up announcer to retire.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I wouldn't have any public schools in the conference.   unfair advantage especially for the non-revenue sports.  I believe the idea conference for slu has the most like minded private schools with similar enrollments that would be reasonably geographically located.    assuming the mythical mid-west papal conference never happens, we take what we can get, but don't start bringing in more of the public schools just because currently they have a good coach that has them on an all time high run for basketball. 

Isn't VCU a public school?

• 7 months later...

Hope springs eternal.

We need to hope that UConn can't figure out its football situation and that the WSU addition to the AAC keeps them there. PLUS we need Coach Ford to work his magic. SLU would be the perfect 11th team. 

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

Hope springs eternal.

We need to hope that UConn can't figure out its football situation and that the WSU addition to the AAC keeps them there. PLUS we need Coach Ford to work his magic. SLU would be the perfect 11th team. 

Isn't the big east all private and/or catholic schools? Or do you think they're thinking about straying away from that with the possible addition of uconn

1 hour ago, prebilliken said:

Hope springs eternal.

This move to 20 game schedules by the ACC and Big 10 is bad news for anyone not in a power 6 conference. So few non-conference games available to play those teams and almost none will be available that aren't in an exempt tournament or on the P6 home court. The chances of getting those teams to the Chaifetz is virtually nil.

6 minutes ago, kshoe said:

This move to 20 game schedules by the ACC and Big 10 is bad news for anyone not in a power 6 conference. So few non-conference games available to play those teams and almost none will be available that aren't in an exempt tournament or on the P6 home court. The chances of getting those teams to the Chaifetz is virtually nil.

THIS.

14 minutes ago, TJHawk said:

The Big East should be the end goal for SLU regardless if an invite ever happens.  The AD should opperate as if expansion is right around the corner.  And honestly why not SLU?  More than half the Big East schools would kill to have SLU's facilities.

Except the hangers.

1 hour ago, kshoe said:

you've got the gist of it 

3 hours ago, kshoe said:

I was at an event with Brad Underwood and Brian Wardle last week. Underwood was asked about scheduling Bradley and he said he would be open to it, but.

He broke down the scheduling options a Big 10 team has when they go to the 20 game conference schedule. They have two built in games with ACC and Big East challenges. Illinois specifically has the bragging rights game along with a Chicago United Center game. They usually like to play in some sort of exempt tournament which occupies a handful of games. Then you have to add in some home games for the fans as well. It limits the amount of Home and homes terribly. They might have room for one or two. 

It seems like a 20 game conference schedule changes the level of H/H opponent for the worse. We know that SLU isn’t getting a home game vs Duke. But with 20 games it now includes half or more of the ACC along with it. Maybe they get the bottom teams to agree, but there isn’t much incentive.