A10 Prediction

Here are my predictions for the final standings in the A10-

1. Dayton                                 16-2

2. Rhode Island                       14-4 ( owns tiebreaker over VCU 1-0 in HTH)

3. VCU                                     14-4

4. Richmond                            13-5

5. Saint Bonaventure              11-7 ( owns tiebreaker over LAS 1-0 in HTH)

6. LaSalle                                 11-7 

7. George Mason                    10-8

8. Davidson                             8-10

9. George Washington             7-11

10. SLU                                   6-12 ( owns tiebreaker over Fordham 1-0 in HTH)

11. Fordham                           6-12

12. Mass                                4-14 ( owns tiebreaker over Joes 1-0 in HTH)

13. Saint Joe's                      4-14 

14. Duquesne                        2-16

Feel free to comment what you like, dislike, or what you think will happen!

To be honest Taj, as long as we are not at the rock bottom of A10 this year I will feel OK. I was afraid we might end the year with 4 or 5 wins. We are past that now. Making a guess, I think we can beat Fordham and St. Joe's and perhaps one another. That makes 7-11tops in conference for us this year. Yes we do not have a chance of beating VCU. However I think that in the right set of circumstances we could beat either LaSalle or Richmond, as well as Fordham and St. Joe's. If we have 3 more wins we will be 12-19 overall and 7-11 in conference. This does not count the A10 tournament where, depending on who we get to play, we might win an extra game. This is, of course, what I believe will be the very best we can do this season.

This may not come to pass of course, but I do not think numbers and probabilities are carved in stone either. Of course there are exceptions to this rule.  Some teams are much better than we are this year and we just cannot come close to their level of play. These teams will beat us, we will not have a chance with them.

Overall, and I may be premature (counting the chickens before they hatch), maybe this year will turn out to be a lot better than we had, or appeared to have, any right to hope it would be. 

Not a knock on 05 ----- just saying that I have tried the game Believer is playing and its an exercise in futility.  Why bother?  And then Fordham beats Rhodey at Kingston -- would have never saw that coming.  Fordham has beaten VCU and Rhodey -- again not boding well fro Saturday.  Then Duquesne drops Umass by 30.  There's another instance --- Umass wins at St. Joe's but gets bombed at Duquesne; Umass beats Dayton but loses to us.  Madness, bay-bee, madness. 

Right now, missing the PIG seems untenable.  Of course, beat Fordham Saturday (remember Duquesne beat them there) and the blender goes back up to puree.

Please forgive my ignorance guys, can someone explain what the PIG is?

As far as beating teams, we  have won over George mason twice this season. We are at the bottom of A10 as we all know, however George Mason is not. George Mason has been beaten in conference only by VCU, St. Bonaventure, and GW besides the two losses at our hands. We know Fordham is at the bottom with us but they just beat Rhode Island, also higher ranked than they are, and early in the conference play they also beat VCU which is at the top of A10. Their record is only marginally better than ours. Why is it that their beating Rhode Island makes the coming game unwinnable by us? I would like to know what the thinking (not the feelings) behind this idea is. Yes, I do know we lost against Dayton, but so what?

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Please forgive my ignorance guys, can someone explain what the PIG is?

As far as beating teams, we  have won over George mason twice this season. We are at the bottom of A10 as we all know, however George Mason is not. George Mason has been beaten in conference only by VCU, St. Bonaventure, and GW besides the two losses at our hands. We know Fordham is at the bottom with us but they just beat Rhode Island, also higher ranked than they are, and early in the conference play they also beat VCU which is at the top of A10. Their record is only marginally better than ours. Why is it that their beating Rhode Island makes the coming game unwinnable by us? I would like to know what the thinking (not the feelings) behind this idea is. Yes, I do know we lost against Dayton, but so what?

play in game. The game the teams lowest in the standings have to play to decide who advances in the conference tournament. PIG teams have to win 4 games in four days to win tournament. Others only have to win 3 games in 3 days to win it.

The play in game would be good, play a game we would have a chance of winning. Younger guys get some experience playing in the conference tournament. I love seeing URI lose. I really don't care how many A10 teams make the Dance this year and I will be happy if Hurley misses it yet again. The Dukes continued their hot shooting and destroyed UMass - Kellogg is terrible. 

old guy:  my rationale for losing at Fordham =  1) Fordham has a better record than us both overall and in conference, #2) Fordham is 7 and 7 at home, #3) we are 1 and 7 on the road, #4) Fordham is #1 in the A10 at forcing turnovers, #5) Fordham has beaten #1 VCU and #4 Rhode Island, #6) while we have beaten Mason twice, I don't think that is such a big deal.

Could we win?  Sure .... on any given Saturday.  What does the Wiz have as the spread? 

19 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

old guy:  my rationale for losing at Fordham =  1) Fordham has a better record than us both overall and in conference, #2) Fordham is 7 and 7 at home, #3) we are 1 and 7 on the road, #4) Fordham is #1 in the A10 at forcing turnovers, #5) Fordham has beaten #1 VCU and #4 Rhode Island, #6) while we have beaten Mason twice, I don't think that is such a big deal.

Could we win?  Sure .... on any given Saturday.  What does the Wiz have as the spread? 

I thought until the Dayton game that we were also 7-7 at home

On February 15, 2017 at 8:13 PM, Franchise_08 said:

Yeah Fordham just beat RI. First round bye fading quickly

Not so quick!!! We beat Fordham we are tied in conference play, and we would own the tiebreaker. Then, all we would have to do is beat Joes and I think we get the double bye. Tied overall record of 6-12 (like i predicted). 

On 2/16/2017 at 8:12 AM, kmbilliken said:

play in game. The game the teams lowest in the standings have to play to decide who advances in the conference tournament. PIG teams have to win 4 games in four days to win tournament. Others only have to win 3 games in 3 days to win it.

11 hours ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

Not so quick!!! We beat Fordham we are tied in conference play, and we would own the tiebreaker. Then, all we would have to do is beat Joes and I think we get the double bye. Tied overall record of 6-12 (like i predicted). 

There is some incorrect information in these two posts.  In conferences with 14 teams that all get to play in the conference tournament, Seeds 1-4 get a double bye and would have to win three games in three days to win the tournament.  All of the others have to win at least four straight to win the tournament.  Seeds 11-14 (PIG teams) have to play in an opening round to determine which teams will play the No. 6 and No. 5 seeds on the second day and would have to five games in five days to win the tournament.  SLU could never get a double bye this season.

It's set up like that in order to avoid playing more than four games in one day at one location.  In the past, the A-10 has just excluded the bottom two teams from the conference tournament instead of have a five-day format.

On 2/16/2017 at 8:32 AM, tarheelbilliken said:

The position we are now, does it matter? We are not going to run the table.

So, I don't see getting a PIG game is all that bad. Gives us a chance for another win.

I think I rather come home from Pittsburgh 1-1 rather then 0-1.

There is some merit to this line of thinking.

On February 16, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Taj79 said:

ESPN says we are 8 and 8 at home.  But even so, so what?  We are on the road (where we are less than stellar) against a team that is 50/50 at home.

My point was that they are no better or worse then us at home. They don't get a big bump playing at home.  I do agree that they have home court advantage