GDT Fly boys vs Billikens

CBFan

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it, I was there, the Dayton team was faster and had better defense than we did. They just took balls out of our hands under the basket. Add to that the fact that we were not scoring very well at least for the initial 3/4 of the game when we left, plus the fact that the refs were not calling their fouls many times and were calling ours and this game was unwinnable. They played well in the last 1/4, when I left around the end of the 3rd quarter they were 31 to something like 68 Dayton. A loss is a loss, this was not a nice loss. We are competitive against the bottom teams in A10, and can win against the middle tier, not so against Dayton and most likely VCU as well.

43 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Let's face it, I was there, the Dayton team was faster and had better defense than we did. They just took balls out of our hands under the basket. Add to that the fact that we were not scoring very well at least for the initial 3/4 of the game when we left, plus the fact that the refs were not calling their fouls many times and were calling ours and this game was unwinnable. They played well in the last 1/4, when I left around the end of the 3rd quarter they were 31 to something like 68 Dayton. A loss is a loss, this was not a nice loss. We are competitive against the bottom teams in A10, and can win against the middle tier, not so against Dayton and most likely VCU as well.

I'll add one observation I made, during a timeout early in the first half. While Ford was doing his coaching thing, everyone was paying attention to him, including the transfers, except for Gillmann. He stared off towards the roof of Chaifetz for almost the entire timeout, to watch the fans playing the imaginary bongos on the big screen. His head is clearly not in it and that's probably why he has not progressed and sits the bench the majority of this down year for the Bills.

47 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Just watched Ford's presser. I really like the guy. As far as Bishop goes, he did not say anything negative about him but did say that his status (for next year?)  was undetermined so far. 

It was hard to hear the question, but I'm pretty sure it was about Bishop coming back this year. Nothing was mentioned about next year.

52 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Just watched Ford's presser. I really like the guy. As far as Bishop goes, he did not say anything negative about him but did say that his status (for next year?)  was undetermined so far. 

That is what I heard - I took it as his medical redshirt situation was undetermined. In other words, not sure if he will be a junior or RS.

On 2/12/2017 at 7:39 PM, Taj79 said:

Right now, we MIGHT be able to notch six wins IF we can hold the home court against the Joeys and La Salle.  That makes our main competition for such a spot to be Fordham and, less likely, Geedubya.  We are tied with Fordham so the question is can Fordham win two more games?  They are at Rhodey, at Duquesne and at La Salle while hosting Richmond and Geedubya. In conference,that's a opponets record of 31 - 29. Plus they have already lost at home to Duquesne.  Where do they find two more wins?  

Conversely,our road includes VCU, Dayton and Richmond which currently sit at 29 -7.  But we also have the Joeys and La Salle coming to town at 10 - 14.  Doable?  For those two home games, I think so.  Which will make Saturday's game in the Bronx very,very interesting.  Fordham is not the usual slouch, having beaten VCU at home and winnign at Davidson, at Umassand at St. Joes.

Geedubya on the other hand has five wins already and plays Umass and Mason at home while traveling to Fordham.  I see them with seven wins at least, maybe 8.

I think that is a nice target to take aim at, given where we came from.

On 2/13/2017 at 9:30 AM, Taj79 said:

I always like to avoid playing a team three times in one year --- especially if you've beaten them twice to that point (not the case with Duquesne of course).  I don't like hwo we match up with the Dooks.  That's all. 

The annual exercise in futility is trying to figure out in mid-February how this conference will play out down the stretch.  Worrying about who the 7 is or who the 6 is or whatever is futile.  it never works; too much variance with 14 teams where the 5 through 11 seeds are separated by two games.  That's why I think six wins is a decent goal and that avoiding the PIG is a huge measure of success.  I can ride off into the sunset with that.  The games are fun to watch.  Competitive.  And the future is bright.  My goals -- evaluating who can stay --- are done.  The rest is gravy.

Frankly, with St. Joe's loss of Kimball, I see them destined for the cellar.  A veritable first-to-worst for the Fighting Martellis. 

11 hours ago, Taj79 said:

I have a bad feeking that th recent run of good vibes is over. Waivering on beating anyone from here on out.  

-this goes to defining the extremes on this board after a game or even a play of which I am sometimes guilty myself

-the two teams on the court last night had a vast separation in talent and execution and the final score masked that a lot

-to me the key is how do our coaches and players respond 

Talent played out last night. Welmer looked as bad as I've ever seen. Reggie was downright horrible. Jalen looked overwhelmed. Zeke was a step slow on both ends until the last 4 minutes when nothing mattered.

But it doesn't really matter. Last night was a step back to reality but I still think we win one or two more to finish the season. Reinforcements are coming. 

37 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

I would rather have Hines than Bishop next year if I had to pick one. Both look to be the backup at the point until Graves is eligible although even when Graves plays, I still think there will be a handful of minutes available. 

Right now I am in agreement with you, Hines first, Bishop second.  In the past six games Hines has had 30 A and 7 TO for a 4.3 A/TO.  I'm not sure who Ford will have on opening game at PG next season.  PG is the hardest position to play in Ford's system.  Experience counts. 

Hines has cut down on his unfortunate drives to the hoop that in the past resulted in a TO.  And Coach has encouraged - no told him -  to shoot more threes. 

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

There is no need to choose between Hines and Bishop. Except for protecting the ball, Bishop does everything on a basketball court better than Hines.  Hines is insurance if Bishop doesn't improve ball security. They can both contribute to a winning team. Unless Bishop just wants to leave we should keep them both. 

Bishop is a better player. Hines makes the team better.