Dayton over The Bills by 17

The Wiz

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I think Gottfried's hot seat at NC State is the one really firing up the Miller-might-leave chatter.

UD will be down a little bit next year, no question. They lose a lot of veteran experience. The incoming class is good but not special. The biggest loss, honestly, was Steve McElvene. If he hadn't died last year, UD would be top 25 right now and a real threat to go deep in March, and would be more solid next year, too. He was only going to be a sophomore.

I have a few questions-

1) Does Gillman, Bishop, Hines, or Neufeld leave after this season 

2) How many scholarships left

3) Who are the 3 most likely recruits for the 2018 season

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I think Gottfried's hot seat at NC State is the one really firing up the Miller-might-leave chatter.

UD will be down a little bit next year, no question. They lose a lot of veteran experience. The incoming class is good but not special. The biggest loss, honestly, was Steve McElvene. If he hadn't died last year, UD would be top 25 right now and a real threat to go deep in March, and would be more solid next year, too. He was only going to be a sophomore.

I have seen that.  If I was Archie I would stay away from that job.  I think the expectations from the fan base for that job are just a little too high for what the program can realistically be in modern college basketball and the modern ACC in particular. The influx of the old Big East programs has made it much harder to stay in the top part of the ACC.

12 minutes ago, BillsBeliever!!! said:

I have a few questions-

1) Does Gillman, Bishop, Hines, or Neufeld leave after this season 

2) How many scholarships left

3) Who are the 3 most likely recruits for the 2018 season

1) Hines is a walk-on, so whether he leaves or stays, the scholarship situation isn't affected. As to the other 3, I think the general expectation here is that at least 1 of them leave. There may even be a scenario where all of them leave. Beyond that, I'm not going to speculate.

2) At the moment, 0 scholarships available for next year. Crawford and Agbeko are seniors, so that's 2 out, and Jordan Goodwin and Hasahn French are already signed, so that's 2 in.

3) the most likely 2018 recruits have to start with the 2 kids who have already given verbal commitments; Carte'are Gordon and Fred Thatch. Beyond that I'd think that Torrence Watson of Whitfield and Karrington Davis of Chaminade would be the names we're seeing mentioned the most. I'll also add that at this point, we only have 2 scholarships available for 2018, which are earmarked for Gordon and Thatch. To get a third recruit, someone's going to have to transfer.

^Bang, he got it.

I'll add to #1 that I expect at least one to leave and possibly 2 or 3. That would mean that the 0 left in #2 could become anywhere from 1 to 3. I've said I expect 2 to 4 for most of the season, but as the season has progressed, I think certain players are showing more of a commitment than I expected.

pretty normal for a team to have two guys leave.

Neufeld is obviously a good bet to move on.

Gillman will be a senior and is a local kid. He is a great academic and may finish his degree this year? I am on the fence about whether he will be back or not. He doesnt lock up a scholarship for two more years.

People keep telling me Bishop will stay. Bishop is a decent player who is beibg recruited over, yet is good enough to get big minutes somewhere else.

Hines is a walk on. Hines is a heroic figure of Billiken lore. He does what he does for free.

ZM should be talked about if we are going to talk about Bishop. ZM can play elsewhere. ZM is being recruited over.

I would like to see Moore get more consistent with his shooting, he is playing and doing so respectably at the moment.

Can someone remind me what Stu Durando is talking about at the end of today's story?

"SLU had a nine-point lead at home against Dayton last year with seven minutes remaining until some unusual strategic moves led to a loss in overtime.'

22 minutes ago, juniorbill76 said:

Can someone remind me what Stu Durando is talking about at the end of today's story?

"SLU had a nine-point lead at home against Dayton last year with seven minutes remaining until some unusual strategic moves led to a loss in overtime.'

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that there was a game last year where we had a player doing really well (Maybe Yarbrough), and Crews did something questionable related to it. I forget if he benched Milik, stopped getting him the ball, or called every play for Milik to drive into a triple team, but whatever happened, we didn't win.

51 minutes ago, DeSmetBilliken said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that there was a game last year where we had a player doing really well (Maybe Yarbrough), and Crews did something questionable related to it. I forget if he benched Milik, stopped getting him the ball, or called every play for Milik to drive into a triple team, but whatever happened, we didn't win.

I read the game log and it is hard to tell anything unusual.  Milik and Ash were both in for the final six minutes.  Milik took most of the shots.  Hines, Roby, Crawford and Reggie were subbed in and out during that time.

11 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I read the game log and it is hard to tell anything unusual.  Milik and Ash were both in for the final six minutes.  Milik took most of the shots.  Hines, Roby, Crawford and Reggie were subbed in and out during that time.

Here's the GDT from that game:

in a quick scan, Milik caught the hot hand at some point, so Crews went to that well every possession down the stretch. Milik eventually went ice cold and we stopped scoring points. Several comments in there about Crews botching things down the stretch.

This what happens when an A- team plays a D- team....no surprise here

Well is there anything positive to report in this game ? Yes ...we won the 2nd half and scored nearly 3 times as many points as the first half.  Anything else? Yes ...one more thing...This is the most points we have scored against Dayton in 3 years...a 72-67 loss on 3/ 5 /14...we beat Dayton earlier that year ...again scoring 67 pts.....67-59 Jan 2014..our last win against Dayton.

We didn't lose this game...Dayton beat us...slashline 57/50 / 80 well above their numbers...had Dayton had a Dayton game ...it would have looked like this....3 extra 3's = 9pts  +  2 extra 2's =4 pts + 4 extra FTM = 4pts =  17 pts.....the spread .... take away the 4 extra TOs the Bills had over Dayton's 11 and that's 8pts more for a 3 pt Billiken win.

Bottomline....Bills overmatched......A- (Tourney team) vs D- team.

"Burn the tape........Let's move on"

T. Ford  2/14/17....Valentines Day Massacre...No love lost on this game

Yes indeed Dayton beat us soundly. I was not there, left halfway in the second half, but in the last 10 minutes when we managed to outscore them they may have been playing their bench not their first line players. We could not hold our own against them, not against their main line players.

First time all season I had to turn it off and did not make it to the last shot.

Just being a bias fan I thought that the team would be competitive but that was not the case and it was not even close.

I still believe that Roby, JJ, Welmer, Zeke and Hines if he comes back as a walk on can help next years team.

To borrow a Wiz line Tick, Tick, Tick.... to then end of the coach buzz kill Crews mess and the beginning of the coach Ford recruits playing.

On 2/13/2017 at 4:17 PM, 3star_recruit said:

With Dayton losing their 3 best players and their glue guy and Gottfried getting virtually nothing out of his talent at NC State, the time has never been better for Archie Miller to jump ship.

I just realized that Archie was a PG on NC State, 1998-2002.  Interesting possibility here. 

The IndyStar mentioned that Butler Coach Chris Holtmann has ties to North Carolina, having been head coach for three years at Gardner-Webb.  Holtmann currently makes $1+million.  Gottfried is on the payroll at $2.5M.