Interesting Team Stat

HoosierPal

Not really -- perspective explains it all.  When Crawford was a freshman and a sophomore, his time could be best described as "little used freshman and unknown sophomore."  His freshman year, he got like 8 minutes a game; his sophomore year, he never started but average almost a half of playing time per game.  Combined, in those two years, he attempted 87 threes. 

Conversely, in Roby's freshman year, he was a starter from game 1.  His freshman year he attempted 77 threes -- only ten shy of Crawford's first two years combined.  He averaged 25 mpg and then came back his sophomore year with 20 mpg and another 74 threes jacked up.  In those first two years, he took more than Mike did in comparison and made twenty more at 54 to 34. 

I think two other things have worked in Davell's favor -- Mike was known/perceived  as a shooter and afforded such coverage; Davell was more likely dared to take the shot.  And Mike was/is injured making his shooting much more sporadic in terms of percentages. 

The shooting percentages favor Davell as well but some of that is explained above.  Despite the train wreck his freshman and sophomore years were team-wise, Davell is a vital cog to the program now and next year.  Both are better in supporting, not starring, roles.

3 hours ago, Taj79 said:

Not really -- perspective explains it all.  When Crawford was a freshman and a sophomore, his time could be best described as "little used freshman and unknown sophomore."  His freshman year, he got like 8 minutes a game; his sophomore year, he never started but average almost a half of playing time per game.  Combined, in those two years, he attempted 87 threes. 

Conversely, in Roby's freshman year, he was a starter from game 1.  His freshman year he attempted 77 threes -- only ten shy of Crawford's first two years combined.  He averaged 25 mpg and then came back his sophomore year with 20 mpg and another 74 threes jacked up.  In those first two years, he took more than Mike did in comparison and made twenty more at 54 to 34. 

I think two other things have worked in Davell's favor -- Mike was known/perceived  as a shooter and afforded such coverage; Davell was more likely dared to take the shot.  And Mike was/is injured making his shooting much more sporadic in terms of percentages. 

The shooting percentages favor Davell as well but some of that is explained above.  Despite the train wreck his freshman and sophomore years were team-wise, Davell is a vital cog to the program now and next year.  Both are better in supporting, not starring, roles.

I agree with you, particularly your third paragraph. Crawford's three's are heavily weighted towards his junior year.  Similarly, Davell's uptick has been this year.  At least my perception had been that Crawford was a shooter and Davell was a defender. 

Next year will be interesting.  Look at Davell's stats this year and Adonys' sophomore and/or career stats. They are pretty similar.  

Another interesting stat....

Crawford is only 130 points away from 1,000. He has an outside shot...he needs to average 18.6 points per game to reach it in our 7 remaining games, or 16.2 if we play 8. He's averaged 17.5 over his last 4. I hope he goes nuts over the last month of the season.

I'd love to see Mike join the 1000 point club.  Through all the bitching and all the praise, he has done a great job of representing the U.  Kid would be great on the right team in the right situation.  Just didn't happen here with he-who-is-dead-to-me.  

Points:  he will be challenged to score tonight.  Dayton plays some of the toughest defense in the league and i expect Kyle Davis their defensive stopper to get Mike to start.  Hitting for that average tonight might be tough.  VCU?  My initial inclination is to say forget about it but those guys are not Havoc any longer.  Still they are more athletic than anyone we have, Mike included.  Tough match up.  Fordham is favorable as are La Salle and St. Joe's.  Richmond plays that confounding defense --- also tough.  Can't see it happening right now.  Projection says no.

58 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I'd love to see Mike join the 1000 point club.  Through all the bitching and all the praise, he has done a great job of representing the U.  Kid would be great on the right team in the right situation.  Just didn't happen here with he-who-is-dead-to-me.  

Points:  he will be challenged to score tonight.  Dayton plays some of the toughest defense in the league and i expect Kyle Davis their defensive stopper to get Mike to start.  Hitting for that average tonight might be tough.  VCU?  My initial inclination is to say forget about it but those guys are not Havoc any longer.  Still they are more athletic than anyone we have, Mike included.  Tough match up.  Fordham is favorable as are La Salle and St. Joe's.  Richmond plays that confounding defense --- also tough.  Can't see it happening right now.  Projection says no.

It is amazing he is so close to the 1000 point club given that he didn't play as much his freshman and sophomore year, and has been injured the last 2

What's more surprising to me is how much better Roby's career % is. Even throwing out Crawford's numbers this year entirely, Roby's still better by about 10 points. His shot has always looked a little flat, but he gets it to go in at a decent clip. I always thought Ellis' shot looked great, but he was barely at 33% for his career.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, Bizziken said:

Another interesting stat....

Crawford is only 130 points away from 1,000. He has an outside shot...he needs to average 18.6 points per game to reach it in our 7 remaining games, or 16.2 if we play 8. He's averaged 17.5 over his last 4. I hope he goes nuts over the last month of the season.

Since you posted this, Crawford has scored a total of 13 points in 3 games. I don't think the 1,000-point club is going to happen for him. If we play 4 more games, he needs to average 29.3; if we win the first A10 Tournament game, he needs to average 23.4.

14 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Since you posted this, Crawford has scored a total of 13 points in 3 games. I don't think the 1,000-point club is going to happen for him. If we play 4 more games, he needs to average 29.3; if we win the first A10 Tournament game, he needs to average 23.4.

I agree it isn't happening.  What I just learned is that his hamstring injury was a torn tendon, not a muscle tear.

57 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Yeah, it was a long-shot 10 days ago, but he had just gone crazy so it seemed relevant.

It really is unfortunate. I would have absolutely loved to see Crawford get to 1,000 given all of the crap that he's had to work through. He's won 58 games (so far) as a Billiken, but 27 of those were in his first season. Let that sink in; He won 27 games his Freshman year and, to date, has only won 31 total over his last 3 seasons. Unbelievable. 

7 hours ago, Pistol said:

are you factoring in first round big dance game coming with winning the A_!) Tournament? :)

6 hours ago, Bizziken said:

Yeah, it was a long-shot 10 days ago, but he had just gone crazy so it seemed relevant.

It really is unfortunate. I would have absolutely loved to see Crawford get to 1,000 given all of the crap that he's had to work through. He's won 58 games (so far) as a Billiken, but 27 of those were in his first season. Let that sink in; He won 27 games his Freshman year and, to date, has only won 31 total over his last 3 seasons. Unbelievable. 

I told him at the open practice; "You're the Steven Jackson of this era of Bill's B-Ball"