GDT Dukes vs Billikens

CBFan

I do not care how many flaws anyone can see in this game we just played, we won. It is true we came very close to blowing it, and it is true that if we had done a better job with the FTs the ending of the game would not have been as dramatic as it was, but we won. I am very happy both for myself and for the team who really deserved this win.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

48 minutes ago, HoosierBilliken said:

It's an understatement that Ford did extremely well coaching towards the end of the game.

I see nothing in the during-the-game thread pointing out that he had Crawford intentionally (but not "intentionally") foul with a three-point lead. We've debated that many times on the board, but it seems like an absolute no-brainer, especially when the offensive player has his back to the basket. 

41 minutes ago, bonwich said:

I see nothing in the during-the-game thread pointing out that he had Crawford intentionally (but not "intentionally") foul with a three-point lead. We've debated that many times on the board, but it seems like an absolute no-brainer, especially when the offensive player has his back to the basket. 

I know Kenpom did a study on fouling in that situation. I can't remember the results, though. Anyone see that?

Edit: found it: http://kenpom.com/blog/yet-another-study-about-fouling-when-up-3/

He found it's slightly better to just defend straight up than to foul when up 3

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

Here's a funny thought: the bottom four seeds (11-14) play in the first day of the A10 Tournament. The next 8 (5-12) start the second day, and the top 4 get a double bye. After this win, we're tied with Fordham (each 4-8) on that 10-11 line in the league standings and we haven't played each other yet.

If we beat Fordham next week, there's actually a chance we'd avoid the first day of the A10 Tournament, a feat that would've seemed impossible to us heading into league play.

Things would have to break just right and we'd probably need that Fordham win for the tiebreaker, but given where we know this team's talent level is and given how short the bench is, I'd say we're outperforming our very modest expectations.

I think that we beat Fordham (Away) and Saint Joseph's (Home) , maybe LaSalle (Home) 

I think we get that 10 seed. 

Also, a fun fact: Since we got the new Billiken mascot we are 4-0 at home including 3-0 in conference play. Sucks that that will end against Dayton most likely

36 minutes ago, Deutschkind said:

Anybody who watched the Fox Sports broadcast what happened with the refs in the first half? What happened at the tip? And the shot-clock violation that took them two trips to the monitor to call? I hate not having explanations in the arena

Shot clock issues from what I could tell in the arena. At the tip, I don't think the shot clock started. On that shot clock violation, I think the clock reset or malfunctioned with a few seconds left. When they reviewed it, I assume that they figured time had run out.

I was at the game and I seem to recall that neither clock started at the tip. And there were more problems with the clock later.

The following is just my wild ass guess and if someone has more information I would love to hear it.

The game clock (not sure about the mechanics of the shot clock since someone has to reset it during play if a shot hits the rim) is controlled by the referees' whistles and the start buttons on the transmitters on their belts. After watching what went on tonight, I suspect that the radio receiver for the clock was malfunctioning at the table. I think at some point they made a decision to let the people at the scorer's table run the clock manually. It appeared that the refs were no longer reaching behind their backs to start the clock on inbounds. And there was a play where (I think) Mike Crawford kicked the ball while on defense. The ref blew his whistle but both clocks ran for 3 seconds and were never corrected. I believe the timekeeper at the table briefly forgot he/she had to turn it off.

As I said, this was just a wild ass guess. And since I'm a mere paying customer who got his ass to the game, not someone sitting at home watching on TV, I don't get the courtesy of an explanation by ANY-FUOKING-BODY. This has bugged me for a long time. They always make a point of letting the TV audience know what's going on, not the schlub in his seat who has to sit through this crap.

3 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

I was at the game and I seem to recall that neither clock started at the tip. And there were more problems with the clock later.

The following is just my wild ass guess and if someone has more information I would love to hear it.

The game clock (not sure about the mechanics of the shot clock since someone has to reset it during play if a shot hits the rim) is controlled by the referees' whistles and the start buttons on the transmitters on their belts. After watching what went on tonight, I suspect that the radio receiver for the clock was malfunctioning at the table. I think at some point they made a decision to let the people at the scorer's table run the clock manually. It appeared that the refs were no longer reaching behind their backs to start the clock on inbounds. And there was a play where (I think) Mike Crawford kicked the ball while on defense. The ref blew his whistle but both clocks ran for 3 seconds and were never corrected. I believe the timekeeper at the table briefly forgot he/she had to turn it off.

As I said, this was just a wild ass guess. And since I'm a mere paying customer who got his ass to the game, not someone sitting at home watching on TV, I don't get the courtesy of an explanation by ANY-FUOKING-BODY. This has bugged me for a long time. They always make a point of letting the TV audience know what's going on, not the schlub in his seat who has to sit through this crap.

I'm with you.. there's been a couple times this year where we've sat with our thumbs up our ass for five minutes due to some technicality with a clock or foul count...

9 hours ago, White Pelican said:

For the ten-minute clusterfork in the first half, one of the refs noticed that the clock was malfunctioning and blew the whistle almost exactly the same time that Welmer, I think, took a shot that missed. So technically no one had possession at the time of the dead ball, and ultimately -- after giving it back to us with 15 on the shot clock, and then 4 on the shot clock -- they made what I think is actually the correct call and gave it to the team that had the arrow.

Since we had the first string (sic) announcer last night, I think he was at the disadvantage of the local tradition of leaving everyone in the 'fetz to wonder WTF is going on.

For you statheads, last night, Crawford tied Drew Diener for 15th place in career three's made with 103. (edited: thank you Jimbo.)  Reggie remains 4th on career FG%, sandwiched between Dobbs and Nordmann.

Crawford has 870 career points, so he has an outside chance of hitting the magic 1000 point plateau.  With a minimum 7 games left, he would have to average 18.6 ppg to hit 1000.  That will be difficult to do. 

Watched the whole game at my daughter's in Baltimore city.  They get all Fox channels.

At the start, the game clock did not start.  They blew the whistle, ran three seconds off and restarted from there.  On the second clock issue, Welmer got the ball with about six seconds showing.  The shot clock then hit five and when it was supposed to go to 4, it reset to 45 seconds and then to 30.  Welmer shot just as the clock went nuts and the ref blew the whistle.  So the shot was away and eventually rebounded by Duquesne when the stoppage occurred.  At first, they were going to reassign it to the Bills and go to 15 seconds ala a kicked ball. Then they said no back to 4.  Then Ferry asked why, we got the ball.  Even Ford laughed and kind of agreed with him and the refs eventually decided it was the Dukes' ball.  Which was the right call.

Our tired legs caught up to us but we held on.  We lose that game if we don't set school shooting records. Duquesne was equally on fire and Reggie was completely lost on the ball screen hedge per Highmark.  Highmark noted Tatum, Cook, Lewis and Barnes on Chaminade as all being at D1 schools this year.  He said of the four, Lewis was likely the most overlooked with his success (wrongly) dependent on who he played with. We never offered Lewis.  At one time, it was rumored Tatum wanted Jordan Barnett offered with  him.  He's at Indiana State playing about ahalf (21 mpg) andaveragingjust under 7 ppg,if you're interested.

How come Darius Lewis (6'11") didn't play for Duquesne?  Anybody know?

8 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

For you statheads, last night, Crawford tied Drew Diener for 15th place in career three's made with 310.  Reggie remains 4th on career FG%, sandwiched between Dobbs and Nordmann.

Crawford has 870 career points, so he has an outside chance of hitting the magic 1000 point plateau.  With a minimum 7 games left, he would have to average 18.6 ppg to hit 1000.  That will be difficult to do. 

310 * 3 = 930

930 > 870

giphy.gif

40 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Watched the whole game at my daughter's in Baltimore city.  They get all Fox channels.

At the start, the game clock did not start.  They blew the whistle, ran three seconds off and restarted from there.  On the second clock issue, Welmer got the ball with about six seconds showing.  The shot clock then hit five and when it was supposed to go to 4, it reset to 45 seconds and then to 30.  Welmer shot just as the clock went nuts and the ref blew the whistle.  So the shot was away and eventually rebounded by Duquesne when the stoppage occurred.  At first, they were going to reassign it to the Bills and go to 15 seconds ala a kicked ball. Then they said no back to 4.  Then Ferry asked why, we got the ball.  Even Ford laughed and kind of agreed with him and the refs eventually decided it was the Dukes' ball.  Which was the right call.

Our tired legs caught up to us but we held on.  We lose that game if we don't set school shooting records. Duquesne was equally on fire and Reggie was completely lost on the ball screen hedge per Highmark.  Highmark noted Tatum, Cook, Lewis and Barnes on Chaminade as all being at D1 schools this year.  He said of the four, Lewis was likely the most overlooked with his success (wrongly) dependent on who he played with. We never offered Lewis.  At one time, it was rumored Tatum wanted Jordan Barnett offered with  him.  He's at Indiana State playing about ahalf (21 mpg) andaveragingjust under 7 ppg,if you're interested.

How come Darius Lewis (6'11") didn't play for Duquesne?  Anybody know?

Jordan Barnett from CBC plays for Mizzou, he's averaging over 13 points in over 27 minutes per game, I know, you meant Jordan Barnes.

Freshman forward Jalen Johnson continued his growth with a remarkable all-around game (15 points, seven rebounds, four blocked shots, three assists) in the victory over Duquesne. He went the distance with senior Reggie Agbeko in foul trouble, playing all 40 minutes.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/jeff-gordon/gordo-on-area-hoops-roby-barnett-enjoy-junior-achievement/article_c5df1ed0-1ba7-57c4-ba37-3b4fdf9f01f7.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter