GDT why are we playing these guys?

CBFan

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was there, nice game, my wife thought that big #32 that did the intentional to Reggie had done a "clothes line" hit on Reggie. I liked the way Zeke played, he was quick got tough rebounds, and did at leas two set up passes to Crawford which were easy scores. Happy with the win by 19 pts. Now we will see what comes next. Duquesne lost against Dayton tonight 53-90, not pretty.  Overall Duquesne is 9 W 15 L, conference 2 W 9 L. As of today we are overall 8 W 15L, conference 3 W 7 L.

6 hours ago, CBFan said:

Is what the crowd did a technical foul?

If it is a technical then it should be called.

The crowd should never storm the court and if that happened to SLU and the technical was not called then I would be mad.

That's not fair at all CBFan.

I think that the officials called the technical mostly because the SBU roster and coaching staff rushed the court. With time on the clock.

It was the right call and Schmidt and his joke of a staff got a well-deserved loss.

4 hours ago, Soderball said:

I think that the officials called the technical mostly because the SBU roster and coaching staff rushed the court. With time on the clock.

It was the right call and Schmidt and his joke of a staff got a well-deserved loss.

I think rushing the floor (after the clock expired) should have some criteria. Rushing the floor when you beat a team that is not ranked is one of them.

10 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Can someone again give me a reason why Zeke should be on this new team we are going to have next year

Did you watch the game? He's not shooting well, but his D was good and he had a couple of nice steals and a couple of very nice passes. He really seems to have better vision that we heard. He may not play a lot but he has a place. No team has 13 stars. If he finds a shot which is what he was advertised to have he may play a decent role next year. I bet he works hard in the off season to improve now that he knows what it takes

3 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

I think rushing the floor (after the clock expired) should have some criteria. Rushing the floor when you beat a team that is not ranked is one of them.

A   B team ( Bonnies) beating an A- team ( VCU) is not an upset. I had VCU by 2...again, hardly an upset.  Now if the Bills beat the Bonnies  on Wed ....that will be an upset

6 hours ago, Soderball said:

You think or are you sure it was the players not the fans?

Fans players who cares time on the clock on the court when your not supposed to be on the court.

I agree Schmidt and his joke of a staff and players, normally they put their arms out to keep over zealous players from making that mistake.

Every college coach should show this to their players and fans, don't do this.

1 hour ago, CBFan said:

You think or are you sure it was the players not the fans?

Fans players who cares time on the clock on the court when your not supposed to be on the court.

I agree Schmidt and his joke of a staff and players, normally they put their arms out to keep over zealous players from making that mistake.

Every college coach should show this to their players and fans, don't do this.

If you watch the clip that was posted, the shot went through at 0.4. But later on during the clip, before any other time had elapsed, the clock (and God knows where the broadcast clock was being fed from, Missouri State, cough, cough) DID say 0.0. If that's what it said in the arena and that's what the fans saw, they weren't at fault (and I'd question whether the technical was called for). 

13 hours ago, Glorydays2013 said:

Can someone again give me a reason why Zeke should be on this new team we are going to have next year

Oh my, this is an example of what drugs can do to your brain.  It isn't too late to get off of the stuff, young man (or person).

Moore had not played in four games.  He had only practiced twice.  Two wonderful assists (H Waldmannesque), a nice three, three boards, a block and a steal.  I say his 8 minutes were pretty darn great.  Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and your tainted one is noted.

To be a really solid squad throughout a full D1 season, a team needs to have at least 4-5 reliable players on the bench. Injuries, player screw-ups, academics, etc are not rare incidents these days. They should be, and probably are, anticipated by most coaches. Once  our top 6 players become eligible, Travis has to back them up with those guys he can insert into a game and expect them to provide quality minutes. Not star like minutes just solid play on D, limited miscues on O, and, at times, some heroics. It seems Johnson, Wellmer, and Roby fill those requirements at present time. I don't think we've seen enough of Moore to pass judgement on where he might fit in next year. Something to watch over these final games. Bishop's a guy who has proven he can play at this level, just not at PG, so, if he decides to stick around, he'd also be a very capable backup or even emergency starter. Same goes for Roby. Ford will likely keep those 5 off this year's roster. They know his systems, work hard, and have shown potential at times. That gives him eleven players and more options depending upon matchups, injuries, etc. Still would like to see him nab a big this spring. Guy doesn't have to be the next Anthony Davis, but a guy who can be a D force on the inside and provide some muscle on the boards. Just not a project big, since we've had little success with those types over the years; Husak, Manning, Jollymon, and Gillman.  Was hoping Neufeld might fill that bill this season, but, like most of our former coach's recruits, sadly he's not the answer.

SLU72, agree with most of what you say, but you left out Hines.  He doesn't take up a scholarship, and will come into next season's camp as the most experienced point guard on the squad.  No one on this board has talked to Ford, but I would be shocked if he didn't want Hines on the roster next season.

Yeah, the 10 assists and 0 turnovers last night were against the worst team in the nation.  But as you watched the game, Hines was the player who organized the team coming down the court and if the sequence wasn't working, got the ball back to start over.  PG is the most demanding position on the team, particularly on a Travis Ford team. 

Assuming Bishop doesn't play anymore this year, in October 2017, we will have Bishop with 36 games experience at PG, Hines with 55 games at PG, and then an ineligible Graves at 11 games. We didn't need Hines last year, and then oops, he plays 23 games starting 15.  We didn't think we needed Hines this year, and barring injury he will be in 33 games.  Injuries happen. Depth is needed at every position.  Hines gets a jersey on next year's team, in my humble opinion.

whoah slow down there.

Hines will be back. He is capable of eating 3 min stretches and handling some of the early season time before graves is eligible.

Hines is cutting the foolishness out of his game and focusing on protecting the ball.

He doesnt take a scholarship. There are 0 negatives to having Hines back.... is anyone saying he wont be around? I dont see that claim being made.

AH deserves tremendous gratitude. He does this as pure volunteer work.

Just now, Soderball said:

whoah slow down there.

Hines will be back. He is capable of eating 3 min stretches and handling some of the early season time before graves is eligible.

Hines is cutting the foolishness out of his game and focusing on protecting the ball.

He doesnt take a scholarship. There are 0 negatives to having Hines back.... is anyone saying he wont be around? I dont see that claim being made.

AH deserves tremendous gratitude. He does this as pure volunteer work.

Heard a rumor Gillmann could graduate early...so potential scholarship there.

If Gilman graduates then Ford will recruit a new player - no point in giving a schollie to Hines unless he does not think he can do better on the recruiting trail,  If so then if Hines wants to still play then fine let him have it as reward.  If not then HInes should just take this 15 minutes of fame moment and get on with his life unless he just really wants to pay to play.

34 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

If Gilman graduates then Ford will recruit a new player - no point in giving a schollie to Hines unless he does not think he can do better on the recruiting trail,  If so then if Hines wants to still play then fine let him have it as reward.  If not then HInes should just take this 15 minutes of fame moment and get on with his life unless he just really wants to pay to play.

What does Hines have to do to get respect from people on this board?  Would he deserve a scholarship if he averaged 10 points?  What if the team went undeafted from here?  He is one of the main reasons why this team is pulling itself out of the gutter.  Also, since it is unclear that we have someone who can be a great point guard next year, it would be a pretty bad idea to let him disappear.

25 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

What does Hines have to do to get respect from people on this board?  Would he deserve a scholarship if he averaged 10 points?  What if the team went undeafted from here?  He is one of the main reasons why this team is pulling itself out of the gutter.  Also, since it is unclear that we have someone who can be a great point guard next year, it would be a pretty bad idea to let him disappear.

Agree.  [Cheeseman, wouldn't be my choice if I was looking for a motivational speaker, always negative.]  Hines is an asset to the university and basketball team.  Ford loves the kid. 

4 hours ago, bonwich said:

If you watch the clip that was posted, the shot went through at 0.4. But later on during the clip, before any other time had elapsed, the clock (and God knows where the broadcast clock was being fed from, Missouri State, cough, cough) DID say 0.0. If that's what it said in the arena and that's what the fans saw, they weren't at fault (and I'd question whether the technical was called for). 

http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/schools/virginia-commonwealth-university/article_68751b9c-2fb1-54bc-9956-57980fa04762.html

Read this article.  The refs are being disciplined for how they handled the situation.  This reads like the T was assessed because a security guard took the ball as he assumed the game was over.  St. Bonnie got hosed. 

In a statement, the A-10 said, “Although the game officials cited crowd interference as the rationale for assessing the administrative technical foul at the end of regulation in the VCU-St. Bonaventure men's basketball game, that interpretation was inaccurately associated with the SBU students and fans storming the court during regulation.

“The administrative technical foul was assessed for multiple reasons. The most significant was an individual taking the game ball from the inbounding baseline (assuming time had expired) and walking down the sideline, causing the VCU player to look for the ball, and chase the individual to secure the ball for inbound. Simultaneously, one of the game officials collided with a fan on the court, prior to the inbound toss. It was after these violations that the clock expired, and the students and fans stormed the court with :00 on the clock.

7 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Hines has earned a spot on this team. Having him available is also a great motivational tool for Bishop to do a better job of protecting the basketball next year. Glad the Hines family is in a financial position for Aaron to continue his SLU career, even if a scholarship isn't available.

I agree. Plus it'll be nice to have a guy at point who's ran Ford's system in game for a season. 

55 minutes ago, AnkielBreakers said:

I respect what Hines has done in less than ideal circumstances. When we've played well, he's contributed to that. 

With that said, the expectations for next year is that this team is going to compete for an upper level spot in the A10 and have a chance at getting into the NCAAs. Personally, I don't think Hines playing a key role next year is going to make that happen. As a walk-on, I have no problem with him on the roster. Same thing for if Ford decides he wants to roll over a scholarship; give it to him as a reward. I just think that he isn't a key player on a good team. The truth is that most of our active roster isn't either, but they came here due to scholarships, and I don't there's a lot of precedent for a player brought in on a scholarship to be changed to a walk-on.

I don't understand why some of you guys don't want Hines back next season. Until midpoint, well only have 2 PGs (Bishop and Hines, and maybe Roby unless we recruit another), and if one of them gets hurt, then Hines is a player who knows Fords system, and has the experience. It only makes sense to keep him.