SLU vs GW GDT

CBFan

Definitely getting to like Ford's coaching more and more.  That is a win if SLU just had a couple of more players.  That turnover by Gillmann at the end of the half.....really bad.

SLU has at least three nice players to go with the ones coming in.  Really like Johnson and Welmer.  They should be very good next year with all the experience they are gaining.  Roby is a nice player for next year as well.

Now Moore, Bishop.........not so sure.  But do like Bishop although he tends to turn the ball over too much.  Moore, if he isn't a better shooter than he has shown......his other tools seem shaky.

Gillmann and Newman..................Ugh.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought we played well. As far as I am concerned the game started going down the tubes when they got Gillman and Agbeko in in exchange for Johnson and Hines. In the second half Neufeld was playing right below SLU's basket and would not even lift his arms to try to get rebounds. Agbeko and Crawford did not score much, Agbeko was particularly off today. We lost, of course, but we could very well have won this game with a bit more scoring from Agbeko and Crawford. Please note that I do not blame Crawford for his scoring troubles, I know he is playing injured this year. Johnson, Welmer, and Roby played very nicely tonight. Ford is definitely not a bad coach, look at what he is doing with the team. We were competitive tonight, which is more than we could have expected.

Welmer had 18 points with 12 minutes to go in the game. Hines played well, but needs to realize he's the distributor first and find his hot shooter as opposed to trying to dribble the orange off the ball and shooting 2 air balls sandwiched around a turnover down the stretch. Hopefully that will change. Team playing so much better in spurts. Attitudes are great. 

I don't know why anyone would complain about our team during this game.  It felt like this was the best the team has played all year.  The combination of Johnson and Welmer has really clicked.  Hines and Roby are running the point really well.  Honestly, if Hines didn't get into foul trouble in the first half, we may have run away with the game.

8 hours ago, bomble said:

Some pics. I hate GW, and I hate their fight song. (No offense, Steve.)

Nice pictures thanks for sharing.

There are a lot of empty seats, Rammer said yesterday that there place seats 4000.

12 hours ago, IndianaSaint said:

Welmer had 18 points with 12 minutes to go in the game. Hines played well, but needs to realize he's the distributor first and find his hot shooter as opposed to trying to dribble the orange off the ball and shooting 2 air balls sandwiched around a turnover down the stretch. Hopefully that will change. Team playing so much better in spurts. Attitudes are great. 

Greatings fellow Hoosier.  (Nice retro Pacer jersey.)  Elliott brings a skill set we haven't seen for a while at SLU, he can play with his back to the basket and can step out and hit a three.  Even Rob Loe, a logical comparison, didn't play in the paint all that often.  Elliott needs to gain a ton of muscle and he will continue to be an asset.

Hines is Hines.  He has been forced into significant minutes due to Bishop's injury and the lack of another point guard being brought onto the roster.  When Bartley left at the start of the school year, the roster was left short.  HInes plays with a lot of heart and I certainly admire his determination.  He can hit the jumper, but as you saw yesterday sometimes maybe doesn't make the wise decisions. [It is easier to second guess a decision after you already know the result.  If he sinks one or both of those threes, he is a hero today.]  (Rammer said he got hit on the elbow on the first air ball.) 

12 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Two posters West03 and slufan 13 were on him. The rest of us saw him play a nice game. 

He played a decent 35 minutes and was terrible last 5. Not sure how you can argue that. It's not his fault he's just a walk-on that's being asked to play 40 mins a game, blame the disaster that was Jim Crews

The place was extremely empty.  Smith Center's capacity is listed at 5,000.  Box score lists attendance as 3,193.  Which to me means they count tickets and not bodies ala SLU.  It is a two-tiered, square arena, where entry is made in the middle of the  arena between the upper seats and lower seats.  The sections across from us in the upper half were all empty except for one --- which is where the band sits.  That section was packed.  The 'end zone" seats were mostly empty too.  

Washington and Foggy Bottom are buzzing any day or night of the week.  People were everywhere.  But given the down state of GeeDubya basketball coupled with our poor record, you won't get a lot of folks in there.  Also, I don't think DC thinks of GWU as their college team.  Maybe slightly more for either Georgetown or Maryland.  You could walk through the campus and not know you were on a college campus.  Good if you like that kind of feel but in all the years I've been there, I've never felt a college vibe whatsoever.  

Nick and I moved down to the scene of the crime ----- same seats we had in the 20-point game when we attended that one.  We believe we have killed that curse much liek the curses of goats, Bambinos and others.  And those seats were three rows off the court.  And available.  So, yeah,no crowd.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Westy03,

Or you could accept that transfers usually follow a coach being fired. Reynolds and Bartley could have chosen to stick around but they didn't. They knew they were about to get recruited over.

Thats true. The Reynolds transfer probably hurt the most for this year as far as having a competent point guard. Bartley could shoot it a bit but was never a point guard. Instead of 7 or 8 wins we would've ended up with 10-12 if Bartley and Reynolds stayed. Yarbrough was transferring no matter what. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Greatings fellow Hoosier.  (Nice retro Pacer jersey.)  Elliott brings a skill set we haven't seen for a while at SLU, he can play with his back to the basket and can step out and hit a three.  Even Rob Loe, a logical comparison, didn't play in the paint all that often.  Elliott needs to gain a ton of muscle and he will continue to be an asset.

Okay, this whole post is nuts. But the bolded line is just ridiculous.

5 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hines is Hines.  He has been forced into significant minutes due to Bishop's injury and the lack of another point guard being brought onto the roster.  When Bartley left at the start of the school year, the roster was left short.  HInes plays with a lot of heart and I certainly admire his determination.  He can hit the jumper, but as you saw yesterday sometimes maybe doesn't make the wise decisions. [It is easier to second guess a decision after you already know the result.  If he sinks one or both of those threes, he is a hero today.]  (Rammer said he got hit on the elbow on the first air ball.) 

Hi HoosierPal. Hines is Hines. I might add that Roby is Roby. And Rammer is the best! BANG!

That's Jackie Moon in a Tropics jersey, but now that you mention it - it does look like a retro Pacers jersey. 

I hope my post didn't read like I was questioning Hines' heart. Like I said he played very well! Always plays with heart! Just seemed like he quit looking for others - and I singled out EW because he was the hot hand. 

I think some more sharing from the guards, and some more made layups by everyone and this team can stun some big names in the A-10 coming down the stretch and in the tourney.

Thanks for the chat - long time reader, first time poster!

Go Bills and E-L-E !