Open Practice - Feb.3

SShoe

I also met two players, Mike Crawford and Jalen Johnson. No morons either.

Coach greeted us and said today's practice was in preparation for tomorrow's game. He said we had a "long night the last game, an emotional night but I told the team it's over". (The crowd applauded for reference to the OT game.)  He wasn't miked but I thought he said NC A&T played zone and something about a couple of  good players that like to go one on one. Not sure I have either thing right.

After some drills, the starters scrimmaged against the subs and the transfers. I assume the B team was supposed to emulate Carolina team as they played at least some zone. Not sure about that either.

I was there, I thought 0 was Graves, 10 was Henriquez, and 2 was Bess. Foreman was sidelined and doing push ups and riding a stationary bike with Bishop. I liked what Ford said, and liked what I saw. Graves is very quick and nimble and he does have a good shot, including 3 pointers. Henriquez and Bess were fast and athletic. Henriquez shot a couple of 3 point attempts almost from mid court, they hit the rim and could very well have gone in, he can shoot. Bess is muscular and will be a good rebounder I think. Our kids were doing their thing, remember it is practice. I thought Moore was ready to go back to play, moved nicely and reasonably quickly and was scoring quite nicely in practice. And now I am going to tell you that I though Neufled was improving and moving better and getting more active under the basket. I know this was practice and I just uttered a heresy but that is the way I saw it. Enjoyed it very much and the practice was held in the main court.

This was a half speed practice almost a walk through.  Really nothing new to report.  Graves has some good handles, he's pretty small but strong and likes to dunk 2 handed.  Bess is really big for a wing, doesn't shoot it very well.  Henriquez does shoot very well.  Foreman sat out with Bishop.  Good to see how the team prepares for games, but with everybody not running at game speed it is hard to gauge.  The transfers more than held their own, without really breaking a sweat.

17 hours ago, almaman said:

good acoustics I could hear coach fine 5 row on long end top of key. Henriquez release amazing. milli second from nonchalant to ball in air. had good face time with Chris May.

Does he have kind of a low release? He made a high %, so obviously not a big deal and his shot just looks so easy (not sure the hoops term for it, but just a quick easy shot even from real deep and relatively contested). The transfer pg has big time elevation on his shot.

I attended to get my take on the transfers & who among the returnees can hang with them for pt next year.  Roby, Welmer, JJ and Zeke will all get in next year's rotation.  Zeke has the quicks to play and his comfort level will rise.   

Ty is a special talent & will become a crowd fav.  Add Goodwin & French and we have a deep rotation with little fall off when subbing.  

Ford never complained about a missed shot but saw red on any bad shot.  

Not too soon to upgrade your tickets for next year before the word's out.

I'm pumped!

5 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

Does he have kind of a low release? He made a high %, so obviously not a big deal and his shot just looks so easy (not sure the hoops term for it, but just a quick easy shot even from real deep and relatively contested). The transfer pg has big time elevation on his shot.

Just watching practice I think his (Henriquez) thing is dribbling and then just slam on brakes and smoothly launch 3's. Ain't watched any highlights of him but I'm guessing it's noticeable in highlights.