Ford's strategic acumen

It has been easy to question or doubt Coach Ford's acumen regarding strategy, especially on the word of UMass and OK State fans (or Ford haters), who've made it virtually universal "fact" that Travis Ford is merely great at recruiting talent but has serious deficiencies with X's & O's.  Well, based on Ford's post-game remarks to Rammer & Earl, he shove a little bit, at least, back at his critics!  Maybe I'm no judge of game coaching, but I think he flat-out outcoached Kellogg today.  Playing seven guys with one of them being a walk-on — who also happens to be the team's only "pure" full-time ballhandler — he executed defensive and offensive game plans to beat a better team (arguably).  He prepared the team to take advantage of UMass's fouling tendencies, and he threw about four defenses at them, including a 2-3 zone look switching to man after the first pass, that kept them off balance.

I think he's got some strategy skill, too!

40 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

It has been easy to question or doubt Coach Ford's acumen regarding strategy, especially on the word of UMass and OK State fans (or Ford haters), who've made it virtually universal "fact" that Travis Ford is merely great at recruiting talent but has serious deficiencies with X's & O's.  Well, based on Ford's post-game remarks to Rammer & Earl, he shove a little bit, at least, back at his critics!  Maybe I'm no judge of game coaching, but I think he flat-out outcoached Kellogg today.  Playing seven guys with one of them being a walk-on — who also happens to be the team's only "pure" full-time ballhandler — he executed defensive and offensive game plans to beat a better team (arguably).  He prepared the team to take advantage of UMass's fouling tendencies, and he threw about four defenses at them, including a 2-3 zone look switching to man after the first pass, that kept them off balance.

His decision to give the guys extra rest this week also seemed to pay off. Kudos to Ford for a brilliant shorthanded victory. 

8 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You said it perfectly, coach Ford can coach we see set plays and defensive calls that have gotten a team that was predicted to win zero conference wins 2 wins including one on the road with 7 players and a walk on.  The team has also gotten better and shown improvement with the players such as Johnson, Hines, Roby, and Welmer.   I look forward to seeing these guys play with better players next year and I think next seasons team will have depth with these players.

Free throws have improved with this team.

Some say switching defenses is just a gimmick but I like how the team is improving defensively.  My only complaint of this team right now is turnovers.

All I was hoping for this season was inspired play, check.  Players and the team improving, check.  Coach Ford showing he can coach, check.

13 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I cannot offer anything substantial but kwjybo tells me Kellogg is to coaching what a box of rocks is to brain power.

After back-to-back losses to the granite hands of Fordham and the lowly Billikens, surely things are soggy for Kellogg in Amherst.

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

I cannot offer anything substantial but kwjybo tells me Kellogg is to coaching what a box of rocks is to brain power.

Did you watch the game last night because that UMass effort and coaching was preposterously bad.  I think Ford has been poor to OK this year (a bit better than expected but not that great) but he is not Kellogg bad--so small victories! Umass's offense only once in a while resembles anything remotely organized and then they seem to get tired of that.  I do love it when SLU's inbounds play that proved Crews is a terrible coach according to people here is used by Ford (and last night was to the other team!).  Anyway it was great to win and obviously several players played with heart, the FT improvement is a testament to coaching and players, but it was also ugly--when UMass showed even a bit of sense or patience on offense they could score.

I think Kellogg threw the game because Ford gave him such a great deal on his house.:mellow:

-I love switching defenses as there was only one Rick Majerus who could make his one defense so damn good other looks were not needed

-I do wish we would set screens to help our ball handlers (see Conklin Smash) and get players open on in bounds plays

-as someone mentioned, the team is playing better, players are playing better, neither is consistent but even going through this difficult season the kids are still playing hard so kudos to them and the staff

Kellogg may be the worst floor coach in the country. UMass looked absolutely horrific last night; their #2 scorer reminded me of Augustus Gloop.

I think Ford is adequate at coaching. I also think that whatever lack of coaching ability he may or may not have is less relevant. SLU must rebuild the base level talent of recruiting, and rebuild the reputation of the program with recruits. The kind of wanton destruction that was unleashed by the Failed Crews/Platt Regime must be undone, the dumpster fire doused with the talent of top recruits. Ford is doing that, whatever may come afterwards will never be as bad as the failure of Crews. I would always be excited as long as Jim Crews was gone, and I am very excited. Good win for Coach Ford!

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Hines isn't on scholarship this season.  If he was, we would have been at the scholarship limit and unable to accept Graves as a transfer.

Wow. I take back every criticism ive had of him this year. that kid is a trooper.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

Hines isn't on scholarship this season.  If he was, we would have been at the scholarship limit and unable to accept Graves as a transfer.

Because there won't be one available for him next year, and since he will graduate in May, I expect that this will be his last season at SLU.  He seems like a good candidate to go to a mid-low level D1 school as a graduate (5th yr school/4th yr eligibility) transfer if he wants to get a Masters degree.That seems like a no-brainer decision for him (no pun intended).

1 hour ago, Old guy said:

That does not sound very good for Kellogg, maybe he will go to Mizzou.

+1 unexpected sarcasm made me laugh.

I am in agreement that Ford outcoached Kellogg last night.  But UMass is loaded with underclassmen.  Both Gresham (9 points, 9 boards) and Jarreau (17 points) are freshmen and Holloway is only a sophomore.  You will see them move up the standings in the next year or two.

The one ? I have for Ford last night was why did he put Reggie in a position to receive the inbound pass from the defensive end on several occasions late in the game?  What did UMass do, but foul Reggie.  Put Reggie on our half of the court and let him set a screen. 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Because there won't be one available for him next year, and since he will graduate in May, I expect that this will be his last season at SLU.  He seems like a good candidate to go to a mid-low level D1 school as a graduate (5th yr school/4th yr eligibility) transfer if he wants to get a Masters degree.That seems like a no-brainer decision for him (no pun intended).

What is keeping Hines from taking a few classes and walking on again next year???

1 hour ago, bauman said:

He did say he'd like to come back next year, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Billiken Rich said:

a one game winning streak after twenty point beat downs doesn't make him the wizard of westpine.

Gotta sign in for that one!!  Love it -- wizard of westpine indeed...

All that to say:  we gotta be pleased so far from what we've witnessed on the coaching side of things, so far.  Players are improving, and the in-game tactics are starting to work.  I suggest 3 or so months may not tell the full story either -- all in all, still looks like a terrific hire of a guy really entering his prime years.

ps: you think it's rough being a Bills fan?? believe me, it's rougher being a walk-on.  Gotta really really love the game.  Plus:  Hines will probably never get on the floor next year, if he were to stay ....

16 minutes ago, drkelsey55 said:

What is keeping Hines from taking a few classes and walking on again next year???

Oh, just a few things:

Goodwin

Graves (2nd semester)

Bishop

In addition to the above, why would anyone in their right mind want to stay at SLU, pay to take classes (to be practice fodder) when the alternative is to start on a Masters program on full scholarship and get significant minutes at a lower level D1 school?  As my least favorite announcer says, "Are you serious?"

Regarding Ford's coaching.  I think it is a completely different mentality to go into a game knowing that your team is far less talented than the competition.  At OK St, if Ford would have told Marcus Smart that he was going switch defenses every 3rd position to try to "trick" the other team, Smart would have thought Coach was looney.  I can see stuff like that in the NCAAs but during the regular season, most successful teams have a bread and butter that they are good at and teams win that way.  

When we have the horses to actually stay in front of our man, defend and rebound, I would expect a much more consistent approach to tough defense. 

I think coaching is somewhat overrated in today's game of college basketball.  There are a few successful coaches who really hold their system in higher regard than the players.  Tony Bennett comes to mind.  The other top 50 teams run much more similar schemes with emphasis on up-tempo and dribble drive. 

I expect Ford to follow that mold similar to those other top 50 teams.