No GDT and the game starts in minutes man

CBFan

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, ACE said:

Who was the kid who Sodie put in instead of Dustin Maguire? He was a walk-on who on occasion got some meaningful minutes.

I was thinking that was Wendell Bennett which is why I included him on the list.  I was also thinking that "save a schollie" Sodie gave Wendell a scholarship his senior year because he had a few in his pocket for recruits that never came.  I could be wrong though.

One glaring omission from my original all-walk on team is Paul Eckerle.  So my team is now Hines, Hunt, Eckerle, Bennett, and Redden.  Not a lot of height, but they've got more heart than Rudy.

35 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I was thinking that was Wendell Bennett which is why I included him on the list.  I was also thinking that "save a schollie" Sodie gave Wendell a scholarship his senior year because he had a few in his pocket for recruits that never came.  I could be wrong though.

One glaring omission from my original all-walk on team is Paul Eckerle.  So my team is now Hines, Hunt, Eckerle, Bennett, and Redden.  Not a lot of height, but they've got more heart than Rudy.

Damn, how can we forget Dr. Eckerle. 

Here are Wendell Bennett's career stats:  3 years, 19 games played, 1-4 FG, 0-1 3 FG, 1-2 FT, 9 rebounds (total), 2 assists, 1 block, 1 steal, 3 points scored.

I guess his key stat is games played.

18 hours ago, ACE said:

Who was the kid who Sodie put in instead of Dustin Maguire? He was a walk-on who on occasion got some meaningful minutes.

The only other names I could come up with were Redding, Eckerle, and Duff, who I think managed to hit a free throw or two in both the A10 tourney and the NCAA.

9 hours ago, thetorch said:

Jeff Coffey, he sucked.

Peyton Jacks, Mike Jones were some other Soderberg walk ons.

Jeff Leuchtefeld is the best walk on.  Redden a close second.

Are you sure that Jeff Leuchtefeld wasn't a scholarship player?  Wasn't Ryan Leuchtefeld the one who, at one point, maybe, was a (preferred) walk-on?

8 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Are you sure that Jeff Leuchtefeld wasn't a scholarship player?  Wasn't Ryan Leuchtefeld the one who, at one point, maybe, was a (preferred) walk-on?

I could be wrong, but I think Ryan redshirted his freshman year.  That may or may not have been as a walk-on. 

Jeff was MVP his senior year.  I can't imagine he started as a walk on.

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

Jeff and Ryan both came to slu as walkons

Thanks.  I started following the Billikens closely during the 1989 NIT run (which means I hadn't been following them during the regular season), which would have been J. Luck's sophomore year, right?  So I didn't know about that.  So Torch is right.

17 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Jeff Luechtefeld signed a letter of intent  as a senior at Okawville and was a scholarship player. Ryan was a walk on his first year and scholarship after that. I believe he came with a promise a scholarship would be available the next year.

That's what I'd thought.  Then I guess Torch was mixing Jeff up with Ryan and Roy remembers wrong.