One and Done

Clock_Tower

51 minutes ago, For-DaLove said:

I'm just saying kids are less likely to leave college early if they don't believe they are ready to play in the NBA. I was specifically addressing why players like Perry Ellis stay the full 14 years.

FIFY

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-why do you think the rule you would like hurts SLU? wouldn't the 14-15 one and done kids have to go somewhere else since those schollies are not open as kids already there have to stay an extra year? perhaps SLU would be their somewhere else

Basically the benefit of not having to compete with sophomore Tatum/Simmons/random 5 star lottery pick with a year in their system under their belt. I see your point, but am not sure the trickle down would be great enough that it benefits us. We are landing great kids now who seem to be 4 year players regardless.   Really just taking a stab at the issue. It would definitely improve the college basketball product as a whole.

2 hours ago, For-DaLove said:

No, the easy answer is because they aren't NBA level players. Perry Ellis wasn't drafted and I doubt Frank Mason will be either.

I don't have the numbers, but the D League has quite a few guys right now who left college early.

Dang, that is the easy answer. Whoops.

Also I might add when NBA gets brought up a lot of scouts look towards a player's ability to improve in the NBA and not really if they are NBA ready right away. They want to get young players early which is why age gets brought up in drafting a lot. 

On the topic, is Tatum looking to be a one and done? Might seem like an obvious yes but his injury might have set him back for a future injury in the eyes of a scout

On 1/24/2017 at 5:05 PM, JohnnyJumpUp said:

In the 8 year period between '06 and '13 there were 60 one and done college players. In that same time there were 184 Five Star high school recruits as Freshmen in college ball. 

Jump.  Thanks for the figures.  Just so I am clear, and as Old Guy mentioned, there were 60 One and Dones over an 8 year period or 7.5 per year.  Also, 184 Five Star players over that same 8 year period which means there were 23 Five Star players, on average, each year.  If the same follows true to current day, then our Five Star recruit who just began play for Webster Groves is 1 of approximately 23 other players with the same Five Star ranking.  While some One and Dones presumably were ranked as only Four Star players and some might not have been ranked because they are non-Americans, the chances of Mr. Gordon being a One and Done (from a numbers standpoint) is rather fair at 7.5 out of 23 or more.

Mr. Tatum was a Five Star recruit but mostly one of the higher ranked of the 23 or so in his class -- believe he was ranked either #1 or #2 depending upon the polls. Further, he is playing well as Duke so it is probably reasonable to believe he will be 1 of the 7.5 One and Dones for his year.

Thanks again to all.