Ford Rumors Per Slaten?

mrjoelabs

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Between this and today's P-D article from Hochman, the local sports media seems to suddenly be pushing Ford from SLU to Mizzou. Geez.

I'm also surprised to read that Slaten is on the air after all these years. His son was a year younger than me in HS, so I remember seeing them play a couple times and Slaten embarrassed himself, his son, and everyone in the gym with his behavior, screaming on the sidelines like a lunatic. He's also been disbarred because of his violent drunken behavior. He has no credibility and is a terrible person.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Even if he wanted to, I dont he can leave.  What big program would take him right now?  He has to prove he can win here first. 

Has a coach ever left in a rebuilding year? Also isn't this kind of like the cheater concept, as in if they did it to someone else they will do it to you, Ford would have a reputation of bouncing along to better schools at every chance he got, definitely not a smart move. 

49 minutes ago, kmbilliken said:

Wasn't he mad SLU didn't give his son a scholarship? Something like they told him they would offer him and then reneged?

He was mad at every school - SLU, Mizzou, Illinois - for not offering his son Troy. SLU never recruited him. There was no offer taken back. If Slaten ever said that, it's a pure fabrication.

Troy wound up going to Buffalo, I think, and transferring to Arkansas State (maybe?), and then he ended up at UMSL. Multiple downward transfers from Buffalo - yeah, Kevin, SLU and Mizzou really missed out.

Troy Slaten was at Arkansas State.  Kevin Slaten used to claim on his show that SLU did Troy wrong.  Slaten also said that Blake Ahearn and Troy Slaten would make SLU great again.

Coach Ford has bought a house, has kids in school and has great recruiting classes coming in, has something to prove.  It has to make sense for a move and what makes sense to me is Louisville or Kentucky if and only if he does well at SLU.

What job out there would be a dream job for coach Ford.

Slaten is irelavent and is desperately seeking attention.

Slaten cannot stand the fact that SLU is going to be better than SPUMAC.

4 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Coach Ford has bought a house, has kids in school and has great recruiting classes coming in, has something to prove.  It has to make sense for a move and what makes sense to me is Louisville or Kentucky if and only if he does well at SLU.

Exactly. 

With all due respect, Coach Ford's current resume isn't very good.  He was 12-20 his last year at OSU and then let go.  He is currently 5-14.  Sure he has a good class coming in, but no one is buying NCAA tickets yet.  I don't think very many Power 5 schools are working their contacts to see if Ford is willing to jump after one year.  He needs to show he can win in the A10 first.  Then, you never know.  I say minimum of three years here before any school makes a serious effort to de-Ford us. 

Just now, HoosierPal said:

Exactly. 

With all due respect, Coach Ford's current resume isn't very good.  He was 12-20 his last year at OSU and then let go.  He is currently 5-14.  Sure he has a good class coming in, but no one is buying NCAA tickets yet.  I don't think very many Power 5 schools are working their contacts to see if Ford is willing to jump after one year.  He needs to show he can win in the A10 first.  Then, you never know.  I say minimum of three years here before any school makes a serious effort to de-Ford us. 

Also from a big schools perspective, he has out used the "recruiting" standpoint of a coach.  You can only be known as a recruiter so many times before it gets old without winning. 

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Exactly. 

Agree. Big schools aren't going to be exactly knocking down Ford's door. And I doubt Ford wants to leave for another major rebuilding project. The only reason I could see Ford wanting to leave is if the recent budget cuts for the school are affecting the things he wants/needs for the program (recruiting, player's lounge, etc). Ford knows that if he fails here, he is done as a head coach so I'm sure he wants everything to be perfect. I know basketball specific donations were way down under Crews so I assume the basketball program isn't quite as well-off as they were a few years ago. They are still receiving money from the NCAA appearances which is a major help though. 

I don't buy the rumor from Slaten. I could see Ford wanting to leave for a major job in 3 or 4 years if he's successful so yes, maybe the idea of him wanting to leave is true. But he'll be here for the foreseeable future. 

14 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Agree. Big schools aren't going to be exactly knocking down Ford's door. And I doubt Ford wants to leave for another major rebuilding project. The only reason I could see Ford wanting to leave is if the recent budget cuts for the school are affecting the things he wants/needs for the program (recruiting, player's lounge, etc). Ford knows that if he fails here, he is done as a head coach so I'm sure he wants everything to be perfect. I know basketball specific donations were way down under Crews so I assume the basketball program isn't quite as well-off as they were a few years ago. They are still receiving money from the NCAA appearances which is a major help though. 

I don't buy the rumor from Slaten. I could see Ford wanting to leave for a major job in 3 or 4 years if he's successful so yes, maybe the idea of him wanting to leave is true. But he'll be here for the foreseeable future. 

I am extremely pleased with Coach Ford to date.  He has exceeded my expectations to date.  We are much farther toward our rebuilding goals to date than I had expected.  With that said, he had always recruited well where ever he went.  Even at Oklahoma State, he recruited very well.  He was let go at OSU not due to lack of recruiting, lack of energy, lack of effort or by other issues such as his being the victim of a budget crisis, change of President, fair or unfair scandal, etc.  In short, Ford did not win enough games against the best teams and in the Tournament while competing in the Big XII with all the advantages of great facilities, budgets, staff, etc. Even after he wins, and wins big here at SLU, there will be skepticism and fear of hiring him.  Some will say, "yes he won at SLU in the A10 but the A10 is not on the level of the Power 5 conferences and that he has had already proven he cannot win at the Power 5 level."  Leaving prior to winning, and winning big here at SLU, will make it even worse.

Further, Ford is still quite young and does not need to jump quickly - time is on his side. Also, if he jumps now without being able to coach his recruiting talent, loyalty questions will hurt even his best asset -- recruiting -- unless he were hired by Duke or Kentucky -- and last I heard, those spots are not open and that there other good candidates out there rather than the guy who landed Goodwin and French.   Finally, why would he want to step down a level by going to Mizzou?  See Frank Haith.:D

troy doesnt deserve abuse just for being a Slaten.

dumb dumb dumb comment that the thread creator bit the bait on. Slaten is a consummate troll.

I firmly believe that Ford wants to go down the Calipari path and land the UK job some day. SLU is as good of place as any to build his resume for it. SLU just has to be willing to prove the infrastructure necessary to win.

HoosierTroll's knocking of Ford in an effort to whitewash Jimmy C's record must again be mocked.

Crews was terrible. Crews is responsible for what happened Sunday afternoon.

Thank God for Travis Ford.