Next Head Coach at Mizzou?

Bills_06

11 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I am sure it's on their radar and it wouldn't be a bad strategy. You bring in a top 5 pick and another top 25 recruit the year later with the move. Romar is still well respected in these parts and recruiting against him would be difficult. I for one hope it doesn't happen.

The only problem with that scenario is Micheal Porter Jr has signed an LOI.  I have no doubt they will release Porter from his LOI if they fire Romar, I will bet restrictions will be put in place when it comes to following Romar.  They are not going to pay Romar a $3.2 million buyout and let him take his recruiting class with him to his next job.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Romar would be a reach for SPUMAC and I do not think the hire would sell tickets.

Martin would sell tickets but why would he want to leave California and deal with this kind of weather in the winter and Columbia Mo. is not a vacation spot.

Has anyone seen the Berkeley campus?

Is the California basketball coaching job a good job?

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

I am sure it's on their radar and it wouldn't be a bad strategy. You bring in a top 5 pick and another top 25 recruit the year later with the move. Romar is still well respected in these parts and recruiting against him would be difficult. I for one hope it doesn't happen.

Would it be? When people brought up the possibility of him coming back to SLU, all anybody could talk about was the old line about him trying to recruit West Coast guys to the Midwest, and how it didn't work.

42 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Romar would be a reach for SPUMAC and I do not think the hire would sell tickets.

Martin would sell tickets but why would he want to leave California and deal with this kind of weather in the winter and Columbia Mo. is not a vacation spot.

Has anyone seen the Berkeley campus?

Is the California basketball coaching job a good job?

Pepperdine > Stanford > Cal > UCLA > USC

2 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

What do you think about the campus and location compared to Columbia Mo is it nice enough out there for coach Martin to laugh at a SPUMAC or Illinois offer?

2 hours ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Your nuts.  The view is breath taking at Pepperdine (was on their campus this past July) but it is also small and built into a huge hill.  Picturesque?  yes.  Practical and place where I would want to live and spend time?  No way.  And as nice as Stanford is, give me UCLA any day.

UCLA>Stanford>USC>Pepperdine

No ranking by me of Cal because I have never seen the campus.

15 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

Your nuts.  The view is breath taking at Pepperdine (was on their campus this past July) but it is also small and built into a huge hill.  Picturesque?  yes.  Practical and place where I would want to live and spend time?  No way.  And as nice as Stanford is, give me UCLA any day.

You're.

Also, I'd much rather live in Malibu than Palo Alto, which is a glorified suburb of San Jose. It's a green acres type argument; farm living might be the life for some on Leyland's land, but give me the view. Berkeley's campus, again this is just one man's opinion, is easier to get to and much more accessible than Westwood; also has more of a "college town" feel like a Madison, or Iowa City, just way more liberal (if you can imagine that). Southern Cal, for being a private school, borders arguably one of the worst neighborhoods in Los Angeles...but if we're talking other types of scenery, it's the Song Girls in a heartbeat. :)

53 minutes ago, almaman said:

hard to believe we are ????????ing would you rather be in Berkeley or Columbia.

Not we just me and now my point, I would say it is absurd to think coach Martin would leave Cal for SPUMAC or go to Illinois.

I have worked in Hayward Ca. and I know Cal is North of Oakland and I was not sure if it was a nice place live.

12 hours ago, almaman said:

hard to believe we are ????????ing would you rather be in Berkeley or Columbia.

Yeah, I didn't chime in but it seems pretty obvious to me that Berkeley is the better place to live, and probably the better job to have. I know it'd be closer to home for him, but to me, it's not even close between the two places. I would imagine that a non-Missouri based sampling of the college basketball population would agree.

Hello, I am smiling because you cannot just judge two very different places in terms of what they look like and the amenities they offer. The sad truth is that places that are highly sought by people, because they are beautiful, or really nice places to live in, tend to be both more costly and offer lower salaries that less popular places to live in. I will take any bets with anyone that wants to dispute the fact that $100.00 goes a lot further in Columbia, MO than in Berkeley, CA. Just in taxes, it is going to cost more, and that is without mentioning the differential in the cost of a house. California's houses, even tiny little dumpy places, cost a huge amount more than pretty nice houses in Columbia, MO.

Sure, coaches get paid large salaries, but large salaries go further in places like Stillwater, OK, and Columbia, MO than in Berkeley CA, or Boston, MA. After leaving Knoxville TN to move to Berkeley CA, coach Martin is probably quite aware that even 7 figure salaries shrink tremendously in places like CA. Columbia, MO just might offer the kind of built in expense relief he might desire after his California experience. At the very least Mizzou has this advantage when recruiting coaches coming from high cost of living areas.                 

3 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Hello, I am smiling because you cannot just judge two very different places in terms of what they look like and the amenities they offer. The sad truth is that places that are highly sought by people, because they are beautiful, or really nice places to live in, tend to be both more costly and offer lower salaries that less popular places to live in. I will take any bets with anyone that wants to dispute the fact that $100.00 goes a lot further in Columbia, MO than in Berkeley, CA. Just in taxes, it is going to cost more, and that is without mentioning the differential in the cost of a house. California's houses, even tiny little dumpy places, cost a huge amount more than pretty nice houses in Columbia, MO.

Sure, coaches get paid large salaries, but large salaries go further in places like Stillwater, OK, and Columbia, MO than in Berkeley CA, or Boston, MA. After leaving Knoxville TN to move to Berkeley CA, coach Martin is probably quite aware that even 7 figure salaries shrink tremendously in places like CA. Columbia, MO just might offer the kind of built in expense relief he might desire after his California experience. At the very least Mizzou has this advantage when recruiting coaches coming from high cost of living areas.                 

You are assuming that the salaries would be equal.  It has been my experience that more costly places to live tend to pay higher salaries.

It has been my experience that more desirable places pay less not more. In fact during the interview for my first real corporate job in Boston, back in 1978, the head of the department told me I could get close to 50% more if I went to other places. 

It is true though that places like New York, Boston, and most likely California, have trouble getting the kind of people they want. Their offers have gone up over the years but they are generally not enough to cover the cost of living differential. I got many offers to transfer to Manhattan when I was younger, they never came anywhere close to pay for the difference in costs of living or the wear and tear of the 2+ hour train commute necessary to work there.

15 hours ago, hsmith19 said:

Cal Poly has a really nice campus, not too far from the coast. San Luis Obispo, aside from having a great name, is pretty cool as traditional college towns go.

"SLO!" Go to Margie's if you ever find yourself out there.

17 hours ago, Clock_Tower said:

I have been to all these campuses many times.

Just going based off campus and immediate area...

UCLA>Cal>Stanford>USC>Pepperdine................. way far down Mizzou. 

The above also beat Mizzou in basically every other catagory... national academic recognition, strong alumni base, etc. 

If I was a young coach making 7 figures... there is no question, I am going to live in LA or San Francisco over Columbia, MO and just make sure I hire a really savy CPA, agent, and financial planner.  

7 hours ago, Old guy said:

That job pays enough that you don't give a crap about the price of a cheeseburger.

6 hours ago, Old guy said:

It has been my experience that more desirable places pay less not more. In fact during the interview for my first real corporate job in Boston, back in 1978, the head of the department told me I could get close to 50% more if I went to other places. 

It is true though that places like New York, Boston, and most likely California, have trouble getting the kind of people they want. Their offers have gone up over the years but they are generally not enough to cover the cost of living differential. I got many offers to transfer to Manhattan when I was younger, they never came anywhere close to pay for the difference in costs of living or the wear and tear of the 2+ hour train commute necessary to work there.

because the likely five or very low six-figures you were looking at is totally equitable to someone making SEVEN figures EVERY YEAR.

When you make that kind of money, cost of living is kind of irrelevant.

There's a reason WHY the property there costs so much: many of the people living there make enough that they don't give a damn what it costs.

I believe others have respond appropriately about the cost of living and higher salaries issue.

I talked with someone who is kind of knowledgeable about the Missouri situation.  I was told that the school has so many negatives that the only person who would take the job is an up and comer who tends to cheat.  This is the last thing the school needs at this point - another scandal.  Additional I was told that Andersen's future for next year is going to be how the new AD decides to evaluate him right now - in other words who knows.  I was also told that if Andersen is retained then he will have to clean house on his staff.  You can take whatever you want from this but this person is not some MBM.

Cheeseman, this is totally beyond the issue of cost of living, it goes straight into the can of worms Mizzou has become. His statement that the only type of person that would want to take that job is a cheater himself says a lot about the sorry state Mizzou is in. 

4 hours ago, Old guy said:

Cheeseman, this is totally beyond the issue of cost of living, it goes straight into the can of worms Mizzou has become. His statement that the only type of person that would want to take that job is a cheater himself says a lot about the sorry state Mizzou is in. 

My point about the cost of living was that where things are more expensive companies usually have to pay more to attract people but others had made the same point.

16 hours ago, Old guy said:

I'm going to call you out - November 8th you said you don't bet.....Explain this....

On 1/30/2017 at 6:17 PM, cheeseman said:

No telling what Missouri will do - but I can tell you that money is an issue because the football program is not drawing well nor is the basketball program.  The issues that Chosen thinks are over rated may be so but I am not so sure the outside world thinks the same way.  Selling tix is important but just look at SLU - the Ford hire may have stemmed some bleeding but attendance has not recovered so far - in time yes.  Perception is the reality.

I don't think Money is an issue:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/02/02/sec-tax-return-639-million-in-revenues-2016-fiscal-year/97400990/

The most Mizzou ever earned in the Big 12 from media rights was just over $16 million.

7 minutes ago, MUTGR said:

I don't think Money is an issue:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/sec/2017/02/02/sec-tax-return-639-million-in-revenues-2016-fiscal-year/97400990/

The most Mizzou ever earned in the Big 12 from media rights was just over $16 million.

True. The bigger issue is that mizzou sucks.