Next Head Coach at Mizzou?

Bills_06

No telling what Missouri will do - but I can tell you that money is an issue because the football program is not drawing well nor is the basketball program.  The issues that Chosen thinks are over rated may be so but I am not so sure the outside world thinks the same way.  Selling tix is important but just look at SLU - the Ford hire may have stemmed some bleeding but attendance has not recovered so far - in time yes.  Perception is the reality.

51 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TheChosenOne said:

I don't think money is much of an issue for Mizzou at this point and I think the problems you are referencing are a little overrated. The right hire will cure a lot, but man are they terrible. Alden tried to go with the Mizzou guy and it failed miserably, I am sure they are willing to spend for their next coach (just don't know who the home run hire that they can get really is though). As far as football, I think Barry Odom will do just fine there with or without kids from East St. Louis sitting at JUCOs across the country.

The biggest problem for Mizzou hiring a basketball coach will be possible sanctions hanging over the program for acedemic fraud.  That is going to scare away many top targets.

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

The biggest problem for Mizzou hiring a basketball coach will be possible sanctions hanging over the program for acedemic fraud.  That is going to scare away many top targets.

I assume they will know fairly quickly just how legitimate and substantial the claims are. If they are close to what the lady reported, I agree that will be a problem.

19 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

No telling what Missouri will do - but I can tell you that money is an issue because the football program is not drawing well nor is the basketball program.  The issues that Chosen thinks are over rated may be so but I am not so sure the outside world thinks the same way.  Selling tix is important but just look at SLU - the Ford hire may have stemmed some bleeding but attendance has not recovered so far - in time yes.  Perception is the reality.

I think we all know about SLU having a budget deficit but that was about 16 million and from what I've heard, mainly grad school, especially lower enrollment in the law school.  Mizzou also had a decline of 25%, 1500 students, in this years freshmen class having to close some dorms and face a deficit of 32 million.  That's not just less money this year but will carry through the next 3 years with a lack of 1500 kids tuition.  

I guess the question is how much will the boosters pay for a new coach.  I would think they would be more concerned about the football program which is still down and they are currently expanding Faurot field.  Have they really gone out an overpaid for a basketball coach anytime recently?  Haith? Anderson?  Maybe a Bill Laurie will give the money for it but I would think as long as the NCAA investigation is ongoing, any top coaches will pass. 

Mizzou may have financial issues and football issues but I believe it inconceivable they will let 1-2 million in buyout money for Kim be the deciding factor in whether he gets fired.

sounds like the same dumb talk that had people worried SLU wouldn't fire crews last year.

sometimes things are so bad you just have to cut the chord and get a fresh start. That is where MU clearly is right now.

3 hours ago, brianstl said:

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

You can believe me or not but the AD is having money concerns.  Will a bunch of donors step up like they did at SLU could be.  Also, Alden only hired Andersen because he was tired of hearing the old alum complain about not hiring him.  Alden had two other opportunities to hire him and passed .  Alden knew he was leaving so he basically said OK you want him now you got him.  

24 minutes ago, kshoe said:

Mizzou may have financial issues and football issues but I believe it inconceivable they will let 1-2 million in buyout money for Kim be the deciding factor in whether he gets fired.

sounds like the same dumb talk that had people worried SLU wouldn't fire crews last year.

sometimes things are so bad you just have to cut the chord and get a fresh start. That is where MU clearly is right now.

I agree, Anderson is gone after the season if only to bring somebody new to try and bring back some fans.  My main point of bringing up financial issues and football was just how much will they spend.  If they just go out and get a lower level head coach who has done fine or a decent assistant coach, then I still think Ford will have a solid advantage.  If they go out and overspend, they could get a very good hire.  That's what I don't know.  

16 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

My main point of bringing up financial issues and football was just how much will they spend.

But Mizzou's athletic department is not having financial problems.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/mizzou-athletics-revenue-expenses-continue-to-climb/article_e2120a94-61d9-5c66-b05c-53af06b99970.amp.html?client=safari

6 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Yes they are making money but they money did have a significant decrease from last year (from 4.3 million to 2.9 million).  That is with Anderson making only 1.1 million in salary.  You only pay the next coach 1.1 million and you aren't getting a top guy.  

10 hours ago, brianstl said:

The biggest problem is the state of the program, constant turnover, and lack of competitive play in conference (and out). Enough to scare any potential recruit. The threat of sanctions compounds the issues.

Form Pat Forde's 10-minute read on college basketball:

The hottest seats in college basketball:

Kim Anderson (26) , Missouri. There is no curiosity here, no drama, no uncertainty. Anderson is done, his third season on the job a 5-15 nightmare that includes home losses to Lipscomb, Eastern Illinois and North Carolina Central, and an 0-8 record in the Southeastern Conference. This will be Anderson’s third straight season of 20-plus losses and quite likely his third straight last-place SEC finish. The Norm Stewart old guard pushed for his hire because they wanted a “Mizzou Man” on the job, and it was a failure of epic proportion. Look for Cuonzo Martin of California and Kevin Keatts of North Carolina-Wilmington to be among Mizzou’s first options when it’s time to hire the next guy.

Also in the article:

NEW FACES, NEW PLACES, NOT-SO-NICE RESULTS

Five coaches who have not exactly set their new world on fire:

Travis Ford (23) , Saint Louis. Next year, everything will be better – Ford has pulled off a couple of huge high school recruiting coups and landed a couple of high-level transfers. But the current product is ugly. The Billikens are 6-15 overall, 2-7 and tied for last in the Atlantic-10, and ranked 304th out of 351 teams by Pomeroy. No A-10 team has finished the year in the 300s since Fordham went 2-26 in 2010

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/forde-minutes-10-vital-storylines-for-college-basketballs-stretch-run-050916502.html

Just now, RiseAndGrind said:

I don't want Martin at mizzou or Illinois. I don't think he ends up at either 

Agreed. He scares me as far as local recruiting goes. Hopefully both hire some kind of flavor of the week candidate that has never really done much except for a recent tournament run at a low/mid major that isn't anywhere near here. John Groce 2.0 would be just fine at either school.

1 hour ago, Bobby Metzinger said:

Would Mizzou do the unthinkable and wait until UW fires Romar and then bring him and the entire Porter family to Columbia? Has anyone looked at this scenario?

I am sure it's on their radar and it wouldn't be a bad strategy. You bring in a top 5 pick and another top 25 recruit the year later with the move. Romar is still well respected in these parts and recruiting against him would be difficult. I for one hope it doesn't happen.

9 minutes ago, kshoe said:

I am sure it's on their radar and it wouldn't be a bad strategy. You bring in a top 5 pick and another top 25 recruit the year later with the move. Romar is still well respected in these parts and recruiting against him would be difficult. I for one hope it doesn't happen.

Likewise. Just a huge chess board right now, but I'd like to think Mizzou is more accustomed to Cracker Barrel-style Checkers.

2 hours ago, kshoe said:

Agreed. He scares me as far as local recruiting goes. Hopefully both hire some kind of flavor of the week candidate that has never really done much except for a recent tournament run at a low/mid major that isn't anywhere near here. John Groce 2.0 would be just fine at either school.

That would be dumb and would not scare me. 

Romar has the best player in the country and he can't even get too 500 in league play.  Mizzou is going to hire him for 1 year of Michael Porter? Jontay is good but not on the same level.